So I've got a new Nova. It's truly an amazing piece and the sound and features are blowing me away. However, it's not without its issues. I'm hoping somebody might be able to give me some clarity here. In the above setup I've experienced the following quirks with the Nova downstream from the TV via HDMI:
- Signal detected, no sound
- Signal not detected (I believe this was a cable issue)
- Signal detected, digital noise only (I believe this was a cable issue)
- Sound plays through TV to Nova but with one-second delay to picture (Apple TV 4k)
- Sound cuts out seemingly at random (Apple TV 4k)
- Sound restored temporarily when unplugged and plugged back in, delay still present (Apple TV 4K)
- No sound at all (Verizon Fios STB)
- Sound works beautifully - Apple TV Airplay to Nova - but output needs to be set manually from Apple TV every power-on.
The AppleTV really wants to be hooked up to the tv's one ARC input but I've tested the setup in various configurations and with several different HDMI cables (including Audio Quest Pearl). The AQ Pearl did manage to get the Nova talking to the Apple TV at least, but the delay made it unwatchable.
It seems that the issue could be:
- The Nova's HDMI card
- The LG C7P's HDMI card
According to my findings on the interwebs, LG TVs have been plagued with subpar HDMI handling, and I'm tempted to blame the TV. But if there is any chance the Nova is faulty, I'll of course want to get that sorted via warranty ASAP.