Low-level "fluttering" noise, possibly produced from cartridge.

Graeme MacArthur posted:
Richard Dane posted:

It could well indicate a faulty cap or similar component.   Can your dealership in their demo Stageline to test?

I'll call them to see what they can do. Could that still be the case even though there is no fluttering noise with the turntable disconnected from the Stageline?

I dont know - maybe feeding something in through the tonearm lead or perhaps just when under load.  Best for your dealer to confer with the boffins at Naim on whether this may be a possibility.

Ok thanks Graeme - As Richard suggests, it would be worth trying a different Stageline to be sure it's not that and then working back towards the cartridge from there.

It does sound like a visit from your dealer, bringing with him / her a few components to substitute in to your system, should find the fault. 

James

james n posted:

Ok thanks Graeme - As Richard suggests, it would be worth trying a different Stageline to be sure it's not that and then working back towards the cartridge from there.

It does sound like a visit from your dealer, bringing with him / her a few components to substitute in to your system, should find the fault. 

James

Yes. I called my dealer this morning and they're trying to get a demo Stageline K from Naim, as they don't have one in the shop at the moment. I've posted a recording of the noise in the previous post, if you're interested at all!

Graeme MacArthur posted:

Here is a Dropbox link to a 10" recording of the noise at full volume

Phono noise

That is to me 99% certainty  RFI.. and sounds in my experience like powerline adapters.. if it’s not from you it could be from a neighbour... such is the pollution from such devices. Try switching on an MW or SW radio and tuning to where there is no station... do you hear a similar sound?

The Sky Q products can also use powerline adapters in built, so you or a neighbour might be using these without not knowing... they can be disabled in the setup menu. Ensure all powerline adapters are physically removed as well from wall sockets.

I know someone who had exactly the same fault a loud fluttering hiss on both channels and it was a fault with his Linn Krystal Cartridge.
Every other connection and swapping out of all phono components traced the fault by process of elimination.
Changing nothing but the cartridge solved the problem.

I'm pleased to report that I've solved the problem. There's a Google ChromeCast plugged into the ND5-XS which I never use and had completely forgotten about. This was sited behind my Headline headphone amp. Moving it further away has solved the problem. I tried mains conditioning, which couldn't have helped that problem and alternative phono stages (Stageline S and Cyrus Phono Signature) which both completely changed the character of the interference, without stopping it.

Thanks to everyone for their input.