Naim and the new Spendor Classics

For a start you have a great system there ND5XS is an extremely underrated player and a bit of a bargain,  paired with a SN2 it must sound excellent.  As far as speakers are concerned if you are looking for fast and articulate bass then Dynaudio would also be a make that I would at least look into they make speakers right across most budgets and would sound great with your particular set up.

Hi Daniel,

From what I can gather the Motive SX range are in high praise by everyone, I have not come across one negative comment on any of them so far, they all seem to be universally liked. Some say the SX2 are the sweet spot of the range albeit in the right sized room (small to medium) where they shine.

I did run a pair of Naim Credo speakers for twenty years and really enjoyed those but when I moved my system into a smaller room the Credos were just to big, physically as well as sonically. After reading some reviews and talking with my dealer i decided to try a pair of Neat Motive SX2 speakers at home. I instantly liked them, they have a cheeky way about them in that they just make one enjoy the music. To me, they have great timing abilities, beautifully toned with a sweet treble and great dynamics. I would say that they are not the most detailed speaker out there and their bass can be just a little on the boxy side but it is hardly noticeable and forgivable. My girlfriend instantly liked them too and a year later I still have them. I find them very musical in that they make your feet tap and tend to put a grin on my face with very little fatigue, you can listen to music for hours on end without ever becoming uninterested.

I not sure how they would behave in a big room however so maybe this where the SX1 would come in...

Naim & Neat are regarded as a very good pairing, I will say give them a go, you may be pleasantly surprised!

One other thing to take into account is that they need plenty of running in, when new they sound compressed but change dramatically once run in.

Hope this helps.

I guess it depends on your sonic priorities, but I am partial to the Harbeths. I have C7-3s and they sound plenty "fast" to me (driven by a Nait XS) and not at all boring.  Harbeths are non-fatiguing, and they let instruments sound like they are supposed to, so I expect you would be satisfied with them over time and not tire of them (getting off the speaker merry go round).  Others on here have mentioned Neat speakers, and I have never heard them myself but my dealer that used to sell Naim also sold a lot of Neat speakers, so definitely listen to those too.  

Daniel H. posted:
Christopher_M posted:

I very much like the ND5 XS and don't plan on replacing it. I do plan on eventually buying a used XP5 XS power supply to upgrade it. The ND5 + XP5 sounds as good or better than an NDX, from what I have heard. Surely, this would make it good enough. 

I believe that getting the right speakers is a key factor in a system being satisfying, so well worth a lot of effort. Models suggested here can only be possible hints, as however much anyone tries to describe their sound to you, it is just that, their descriptions. Most useful are suggestions where people relate them to a model familiar to you - but sooner or later it dwill be time time to go out and try to hear as many as possible of those that seem possibilities.  But if initially not auditioning at home, do take along your own speakers if the dealer doesn’t have the same, to hear first in the different environment to give you a baseline (and be sure to take your amp and source if the deaker doesn’t have them). In my experience serious dealers do not mind.

As for source, whilst the ND5XS is a nice streamer, it certainly can be improved upon, and a lot. Personally I found the XP5XS a very disappointing upgrade, such a marginal improvement to be not worth the money (if that is how little better than ND5XS an NDX sounds like, I’m glad I didn’t have the money for one when I bought the ND5XS!). For me, Hugo was a much bigger upgrade to ND5XS.

Some people would have it that improving the source first is best, indeed that I think tends to be the majority view on the forum, saying as it will bring out the best in the rest of the system, including your speakers. However unless your speakers are good enough they will always be limiting, while if you have speakers that are spot on you can enjoy your source to its best, then later have the delights of improving the source. Two different approaches, both have their supporters - up to you what you choose.

GraemeH posted:
Pcd posted:

The D7s are actually rear ported via the large Venturi type port as shown and can go fairy close to a wall depending on the room.

I actually thought I was going to buy some PMC speakers during a system update but ended up much preferring these, speakers are a very personal choice so try to listen to as many as possible a home demos is a must 

Always like to see a well spiked carpet - the sign of a committed audiophile!

G

G, been an avid spiker for nearly 40 years.