Naim SL2 vs Ovator S400?

Verdict is SL2. And to re arrange the room furniture to accommodate. It will mean one speaker will be tucked behind a door opening. I will have to figure out how to manage that. 

I will report once I receive delivery and setup. Which can take some time. 

Will do. I should take delivery in a few weeks. The speakers will be without grills so I will source grills at a later date. I’m just shocked at the asking price. I understand the grilled are out of production, but the price being asked strikes me as outrageous for essentially two pieces of acoustic foam. 

Kahn,

Tom Tom agreed to manufacture a run of these SL2s replica grills after the original stock of Naim grills ran out.

Yes they are expensive but when you consider (i) their quality (as others here have confirmed they are virtually indistinguishable from the originals); and (ii) the fact that had Tom Tom not made this effort you would not be able to source any - it is, IMHO, actually perfectly reasonable.

Regards

David

The grilles are made in small numbers and have lots of complex shapes, so production is going to be expensive. They are, as said above, very high quality and make your speakers look good as new. Spending £220 to finish off a pair of speakers that would cost over £8,000 if still made today doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. I think it’s brilliant that James at Tom Tom took the commercial risk on this - Naim themselves didn’t do it - and it’s good to support him.  

living in lancs yearning for yorks posted:

I have been following this thread with great interest as I am trying some SL2s out this Saturday (the SBLs won’t be disappearing any time soon though even if I decide to have the SL2s). Will be interesting to hear them in my own home

Are those the pair that Rob (Mort2k) is selling?

look forward to hearing how you get on

S3 posted:
living in lancs yearning for yorks posted:

I have been following this thread with great interest as I am trying some SL2s out this Saturday (the SBLs won’t be disappearing any time soon though even if I decide to have the SL2s). Will be interesting to hear them in my own home

Are those the pair that Rob (Mort2k) is selling?

look forward to hearing how you get on

Might be

Will report back

Hi guys,

so long story short I have one of the speakers. The other will be in transit. I thought this is ideal as I have time to learn how to set it up.  Now I can more or less understand the entire setup except the leaf spring movement. My SL2 does not sway or rock. It’s perfectly stiff. Am I missing something? I was under the impression that cabinet will rock and sway ever so slightly. Am I mistaken? I read in the manual that the bar across the rear on the base ( underneath the speaker) is slightly loose. But mine is rock solid with 2 Allen screws and 3 wood screws in the middle. Help

Kahn,

Where are you getting these SL2s from - a dealer or a private individual? Taking delivery of one speaker but not the other at the same time sounds very odd.

The leaf spring is set at the factory and should not be tampered with other than but Naim or a dealer who knows exactly what he’s doing. It should be slightly loose.

Ideally you should have the SL2s checked over by Naim or by a dealer. If you are in London then you should be able to arrange for one to come to you for a small fee or if you have an existing relationship then maybe for free.

Thanks EKFC63. Yes I managed to understand what was meant by the setup. As I knock on the base of the speaker with my knuckle it oscilates back and forth while the tweeter remains perfectly still. Setup was not difficult and I think I even enjoyed it. 

Strange case that the 2 rear floor spikes were bent back at the tip. I have the wardrobe being fitted next week so it gives me the opportunity to take the speaker apart and do it again. This time I’ll remove the spikes. Heat the tips and straighten them out with a hammer. 😬 

The problem with the grilles is that the foam starts to get brittle and bits begin to flake off.  It's started to happen to mine although they still look good.  You just notice some fine black dust on the top front edge of the bottom box. They were designed to be used with the grilles in place, and that is how I prefer them.  I think they look a bit odd without the grilles in place as they continue the line of the bottom box.

hungryhalibut posted:

The grilles are made in small numbers and have lots of complex shapes, so production is going to be expensive. They are, as said above, very high quality and make your speakers look good as new. Spending £220 to finish off a pair of speakers that would cost over £8,000 if still made today doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. I think it’s brilliant that James at Tom Tom took the commercial risk on this - Naim themselves didn’t do it - and it’s good to support him.  

If I recall correctly, the old school hot wire method of shaping the grills is no longer permitted - which made souring an appropriate and willing manufacturer a challenge. 

Kahn, they definitely sounded better with the grills on but, that said, I only tried it once and they looked a bit crap with no grills so I didn’t bother doing extensive comparisons.

Just get the replacement grills from Tom Tom and be done with it. You are then getting the full SL2 experience both visually and sonically.

Why you’d want to spend this amount of time and - presumably - cash procuring them and then scimp on the grills for a couple of hundred quid is beyond me but it’s your decision.

Thank S3. I’m more curious than anything about the difference in sound quality. As my previous experience with Harbeth speakers sometimes had me preferring the sound without the grilles and sometimes with them. For example the monitor 30.1 sounded more dynamic with the grills off. And the SHL5+ sounded more coherent with the grilles on. 

Regardless I agree that the SL2 look better with the grilles on. And, I will end up there. I still don’t agree that the grilles are good value. Especially as, in a few years I will probably have to purchase them again. But it’s what they cost and nothing can be done about that.

Thanks for your fast response btw  

I will give my impressions soon when the system beds in. 😬