NAP200 v 250DR

I have the opportunity to buy a 250DR against the trade in of my NAP200. I know there has been a lot of discussion on the merits of the 250DR and I would like to hear the current opinion from those who have been in my position on the upgrade to the 250DR. I have a N272, XPS DR as well.

In a nut shell is it a worth while upgrade?

Original Post
Adam Zielinski posted:
Finkfan posted:

Totally agree with Adam. Superb amp. 

Great minds, great Adams think alike 

Completely agree with the two Adams, (although unfortunately my name is Glyn) .

You will not be disappointed, you get more of everything in abundance,  it really is that good.

Ooh, someone's not so happy with their parents' choice of name!

Well at least we agree on the 250 DR.

Happy Christmas one and all.

Proud to be a Nigel after multiple visits to Nigels Annonymous. HH, I have their number if you need it any time.

I doubt it's down to the regulation.

The 200 is hamstrung by the inferior main resevoir capacitors, those dinkly little PCB mounted things. The capacitors used in the 250 are far superior.

I run a pair of mono 110's, no regulation but high quality capacitors, just like the 250, with a sonic profile that matches your description ofa 250.

I enjoyed a 272/200 combo for quite some time. Made the jump to the 250 DR and it was well worth it in every respect. More bass, more midrange, more dynamics, more Naim!. Absolutely worth the dough.

I would also note that combining the 200 with my unitiqute was amazing. The ProAc Anniversary Tablette's really came to life.

I have not compared the 200 vs 250Dr directly. However, I once had a superuniti, and added a used 200 to it following an acute casen up upgraditis. Whilst the 200 did improve things, the difference was subtle, and in retrospect I could have lived with the bare Superuniti. 

Recently I added a 250Dr to my SN2, the improvement was very substantial and transformative to my ears. 

Now the power amp section of the SN2 is quite bit better than the one in the Superuniti. So putting the above in context, i'd imagine 250Dr should be substantially better than 200 as well. 

Fatcat, intrigued why you think it's not down to the regulation, that tends to be a big plus with power amps. Lesser poweramps are not regulated and the performance can be compromised. Reservoir capacitors are the simplest most basic form of regulation but are relatively quite crude if used on their own. An active regulator will provide a lower impedance powe source which means the amp performance can be more consistent across its impedance load without relying so much on negative feedback.

clearly there are many ways to skin a rabbit, but I believe that is Naim's preferred method.. and in a way to my mind goes a little bit towards some of the benefits that a true active system can provide.

Simon

Hello, what you are missing is the context, it's all about system matching, you can live easy with 200 and speakers for it (here it's good to have a dealer who knows his job better than business), it's no doubt that 250 is > 200, but also 300>250>200...and so on, depends where you want to stop.

Adi, is of course correct, its about system synergy and balance... there is little benefit in using an amp that outresolves your preamp or sources.. the 200 is great at what does within it's designed performance envelope.. I enjoyed mine with my ATC SCM12s for a few years ( they were cracking speakers... sold them to a friend who I believe is now using them in his new music room /studio)

S

a few years ago there was a thread "250.2 a slow amp?" and lot of debate was made about the 200 vs 250.2. not everyone (including me) liked the voicing of 250.2 and many preferred the NAP 300 and Nap 200 voicing, I did listen to 250.2 many times, but while it was better, not enough to make me let go of my Nap 200.

Obviously Naim listened and thanks to the statement project, we now have a 250 DR with even better regulation and new 009 transistors, now  I think there is very little doubt that the 250 DR is a considerably superior amplifier than Nap 200. 

The Strat (Fender) posted:

What everyone else has said.  

Regards,

Lindsay

What everyone not said

Its all down to the speakers in use

(After you have accepted the price diff)

GraemeH posted:

I'd keep a 200 over a 250.2 but the 250DR is a great sonic step forward, no question.

G

I am not entirely convinced the 250.2 and 250DR are a little  different - but academic as you can only get the 250DR now - but either way its certainly a step forward from the 200 with the higher end preamps starting with the 282

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
GraemeH posted:

I'd keep a 200 over a 250.2 but the 250DR is a great sonic step forward, no question.

G

I am not entirely convinced the 250.2 and 250DR are a little  different - but academic as you can only get the 250DR now - but either way its certainly a step forward from the 200 with the higher end preamps starting with the 282

I found I preferred the 282/200 - after I was tempted to 'upgrade' to a 250.2 to drive S400. Although it offers more heft it is a bit less nimble and transparent imho. The DR offers the transparency and speed of the 200 & the heft of the 250.2 ...plus a whole lot more...ime&ho!

G

b_lund posted:

What everyone else has said.  

Regards,

Lindsay

What everyone not said

Its all down to the speakers in use

(After you have accepted the price diff)

Can't myself think of a speaker that wouldn't benefit from a 250DR. 

Have to agree with the Strat..

nigelb posted:

Ooh, someone's not so happy with their parents' choice of name!

Well at least we agree on the 250 DR.

Happy Christmas one and all.

Proud to be a Nigel after multiple visits to Nigels Annonymous. HH, I have their number if you need it any time.

OMG........Nigels Annonymous....does that mean their are other Nigels? 

Likes (0)