ND555 - have pulled the trigger

Congratulations Bert, well done. 

‘Your contributions to the forum are greatly valued by me. Keep us posted...so so so tempted to do the same. I don’t believe I have any memory of Naim ever not raising the bar and if they are saying.....well then that’s fine by me!!!!!

jsaudio posted:

Getting back to the ND555. I currently have a 272/PS555DR/300DR/ Sopra-3 system and like many, awaiting the 272 successor. However, would it be possible to use the pre-amp in the 272 with the ND555 and my PS555 or will that bare 272 pre-amp section defeat the benefit of the new streamer.

Ditch the 272 buy a 552....or just enjoy it as it is without an exprnsive Digital. Source, i went for the first Road... 552 about to arrive 

Emre posted:
jsaudio posted:

Getting back to the ND555. I currently have a 272/PS555DR/300DR/ Sopra-3 system and like many, awaiting the 272 successor. However, would it be possible to use the pre-amp in the 272 with the ND555 and my PS555 or will that bare 272 pre-amp section defeat the benefit of the new streamer.

Ditch the 272 buy a 552....or just enjoy it as it is without an exprnsive Digital. Source, i went for the first Road... 552 about to arrive 

Hi I was faced with same issue and bit the bullet and bought a 552 .... never regretted it used it with a 272 as the source for a while then traded 272 against a pre loved NDS (which sounds amazing) .... which ultimately may be traded for an ND555 ............ The 272 preamp is pretty good ..... prehaps not quite as good as a 282 ......... so the ND555 would be held back a bit .... I think it is horses for courses ....personally  I suggest you keep your eye open for a pre loved 552 dr ..... then trade your 272 against either an NDX2 or ND555 after you have had a really good home audition. I think you are in for exciting times. By the way .... the NDS/ND555 will need (in my opinion) the superlumina din to connect to 552 (this made a really big difference to my setup).....expensive times ahead!!!

Bert Schurink posted:
Nick Lees posted:
Bert Schurink posted:
Clive B posted:

I will need to decide whether to trade in my NDS for an ND555 and keep my NAP500 non-DR or keep my NDS and have the DR mod done on my NAP500. That will be an interesting two-way demo! I just need to wait until my dealer can get hold of an ND555 - I don't think I'd be willing to make that sort of investment without a serious demo.

The DR'ing of my NAP500 is also on the list of wishes. Potentially will also get it done this year or wait a a bit longer to early next year. Both should provide a considerable upgrade.

Bert, you NEED the 500 DR. Trust me. New amp. 

I know I will get it done at some point. I think I also a NEED a statement, but I just miss some funds....

Wow, I miss you guys!

Had to update my profile, signed it, didn't read it!

=========================================

But, Naim finally upgraded it's Reference Streamer!

At some point, could you (Bert), elaborate on the subtle or major difference between the units!

Congratulations on pulling the Trigger!

Your Money may be long, But Life is Short!

Enjoy Your Music, The Why!

Allante93!

Don Atkinson posted:

So, just to confirm Bert..........

.......... your order for an ND555 still stands and you are eagerly looking forward to superb streamed music !

Munich reinforced your desires ?

Yes Munich definitely reinforced my desire, awaiting eagerly what’s coming, but assume my new BMW X3 will arrive earlier than the the ND555.....

Allante93 posted:
Bert Schurink posted:
Nick Lees posted:
Bert Schurink posted:
Clive B posted:

I will need to decide whether to trade in my NDS for an ND555 and keep my NAP500 non-DR or keep my NDS and have the DR mod done on my NAP500. That will be an interesting two-way demo! I just need to wait until my dealer can get hold of an ND555 - I don't think I'd be willing to make that sort of investment without a serious demo.

The DR'ing of my NAP500 is also on the list of wishes. Potentially will also get it done this year or wait a a bit longer to early next year. Both should provide a considerable upgrade.

Bert, you NEED the 500 DR. Trust me. New amp. 

I know I will get it done at some point. I think I also a NEED a statement, but I just miss some funds....

Wow, I miss you guys!

At some point, could you (Bert), elaborate on the subtle or major difference between the units!

Allante93!

I will do once the unit arrives. But you can see my impressions on the Munich thread.

main things...

PRAT massive

soundstage

detail retrieval 

tonality..

can’t wait, need to also select a couple of albums to burn in my mind and to use as comparison material in my own environment...

Allante93 posted:

Wow, I miss you guys!

Allante93!

Glad you are back, you were missed by quite a few here!

Allante93 posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:
Allante93 posted:

Wow, I miss you guys!

Allante93!

Glad to see you back!

Nice to be missed, I'm tearing up!

Any new toys Adam?

500 Series!

Allante93!

You tease!  I was on the verge of buing a 552 pre, but potponed that for a while

Instead setted down for a Superline+SuperCapDR for my Rega RP10.

coolblue posted:

As a dac, is nd555 better than ndac? 

The NDS with a single 555PS kicks the DAC/555PS a long way into touch. Therefore, it is reasonable to speculate that the ND555 will be even more capable in this regard. But don't believe anybody's ears except yours.

coolblue posted:

Technically there have been many implementation advancements since the NDAC was created... whether you prefer one over the other will be subjective, I do find they have similar sonic  traits, perhaps because they both use  the same Texas Instruments DAC chipsets and similar filtering electronics, however it’s the implementation that ultimately counts and the ND555 resolves complex audio better to my ears.

Harry posted:
coolblue posted:

The NDS with a single 555PS kicks the DAC/555PS a long way into touch. Therefore, it is reasonable to speculate that the ND555 will be even more capable in this regard. But don't believe anybody's ears except yours.

I heard that comparison differently, Harry, which surprised me at the time. But we're very much in agreement on your final thought.

M

Add Reply

Likes (3)
S3Eoinkjames n