ND555 Impressions

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Original Post

You beat me to it, mine won’t be installed until Saturday afternoon. Thunderstorms are promised tonight so the 555ps I’ve been warming up for two weeks will have to get cold again just before it’s needed, not to mention the rest of the system.

Chag... posted:

Could this mean that you will be first on the continent? 🙀

Music line or parallel import?.. 😎

Chag -

I don’t think so, but perhaps the first one on the forum who is writing about it....the stack was in at my dealer yesterday see picture...

one of those machines is mine :-)

My dealer in Manchester has one ....... for demo but the analogue out has a fault! Unit trips out and reboots - when analogue out is selected......... Bert make sure you systematically test all the input/outputs. Otherwise I can't wait ..... to see what your feedback is............do you still have your NDS to compare???

WOW the beast has arrived. And immediately from the start without warm up I am in a different league. First what you notice is how much more relaxed it is to listen to the player. Incredible micro detail, you have the feeling you hear everything which is somewhere available on the recording. Tonality is even more natural. Soundstage improved a lot. And the key better PRAT, I belief that this will also easily convince now CD555 owners to make the switch to streaming. Interested to see what happens in the next days....

At the Naim demo the music was unfamiliar and difficult for

me to follow. Then they put a high Res track from Pink Floyd, it sent a shiver down my spine and my jaw dropped.......and that was it the demo was over. Do yourself a favour and try a high res file.

I am really happy it sounds so good straight out of the box, enjoy.😎

Bert Schurink posted:

First what you notice is how much more relaxed it is to listen to the player.

Congrats Bert,

I think this is the key aspect of better digital replay; the musical tension is there, together with the dynamics & detail, but a certain tension in the listener is gone. This was the first thing I noticed about the 555 in the demo I had.

M

Hi Bert, love following your posts, even on holiday on the beach I was waiting your post in anticipation.

Seems a game changer, look forward to hearing more from you.

Very interesting to keep hearing the word tension, seems Naim have once again pushed the boundaries.

I think you will single handily increase ND555 sales and debt 🤣

Has your NDS gone, or is it still around to A B A

Obsydian posted:

Hi Bert, love following your posts, even on holiday on the beach I was waiting your post in anticipation.

Very interesting to keep hearing the word tension, seems Naim have once again pushed the boundaries.

It is indeed a game changer. When you hear music on this machine you immediately have the feeling to dance or sing along. Now singing is in my case not a good idea, and I am even a bad dancer....., but what I mean this device brings you to the center of the music. 

The NDS is already gone. But I don’t need it to confirm the difference as it so far ahead of the NDS. While I definitely will come to my dealer if their is a A-B comparison as it’s nicer to hear the difference with real comparisons.

Bert Schurink posted:
Obsydian posted:

It is indeed a game changer. When you hear music on this machine you immediately have the feeling to dance or sing along. Now singing is in my case not a good idea, and I am even a bad dancer....., but what I mean this device brings you to the center of the music. 

The NDS is already gone. But I don’t need it to confirm the difference as it so far ahead of the NDS. While I definitely will come to my dealer if their is a A-B comparison as it’s nicer to hear the difference with real comparisons.

Bert, I think your NDS comment is awesome, you know an upgrade it HUGE when the A B A is blown away as not required.

Sadly you have allot of NDS owners feeling itching now 😉 and others much further down the chain like me drooling 😛

Bert Schurink posted:

With rock and blues much more authority. It immediately connects to your spine.

Hey Bert, congrats !   it’s must be fantastic to discover your music again now!

I wonder how much better vs the nds the nd555 is:   like from cds3 to cd555 or from cd5i to cdx2 or cd5x to cdx2?   1 step or 2 steps better ?    if you can remember when you had cd players before...

French Rooster posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

With rock and blues much more authority. It immediately connects to your spine.

Hey Bert, congrats !   it’s must be fantastic to discover your music again now!

I wonder how much better vs the nds the nd555 is:   like from cds3 to cd555 or from cd5i to cdx2 or cd5x to cdx2?   1 step or 2 steps better ?    if you can remember when you had cd players before...

I didn’t own those CD players - but it’s a real big step up. So I would assume it’s like CDS3 to CD555. I belief it’s a step up from CD555.

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Bert, enjoy... what are your impressions when you put some complex music or discordant music on??? To me that shows a major attribute of the ND555.. interested in your views..

Simon. With complex music you hear every detail every aspect, without feeeling overwhelmed. I will post further impressions, but for now this is the most musical source I have ever heard, including black gold.

This is what is happening with me. I of course did some swapping from song to song and every time I am getting more amazed. And I even already a further bump in sound quality. It’s sounding so good. That I can’t switch off from Melodies album, I have to hear it till the end. I did some rock music before and I hear that the player is fully in control of rock music. And now you hear how tame the NDS was. It beats the NDS in rock music by two lengths. But also in jazz and classical the soundstage and micro detail immediately put it ahead. Anybody who doubts - stop, this is the best of Naim. It does what the others do as well the detail etc but the others are not so musical. And I mean the likes of Linn etc....

Also a change with the NDS is the remote control. I never used it with the NDS. But with the ND555 I already use it intensively for normal actions. It’s solid works everywhere. So my use scenario will become selecting an album through my iPad Mini, everything else through the remote.

Add Reply

Likes (8)
nigelbAndrewGAlan McGoverngroxMinh NguyenLifesabreezeKlydeEmre