ND555 Impressions

Hi Bob

Since I only use a streamer NDX (ND555+PS555 any day now), the only function the preamp server is to impedance match and act as a volume control.  So I just call it the most expensive volume control in the hi fi world.  Spmetimes I refer to it as the preamp/voume control for short.  I realize that Naim likes to sell preamps, but pretty expensive.

Gary

Well if all preamps were perfect volume controls, then they would all sound the same.  Since they are not perfect, they do have a difference in SQ.  Not a designer so I cannot tell what itis but we all hear differences.  So the active circuitry is not performing colorlessly.  If the preamp is doing other things that volume control and impedance match, then I would like to hear a description of it.  I have never hear a good explanation.  Would love to read a pier reviewed paper if anyone knows of one.

Bailyhill

I am a huge fan of passive pre amps...however, not with Naim ..it will should flatter....less drive ...just not as good. You are right they are flipping expensive....I think if you really want to use a passive try a different amp....my old vtls loved the passive....

Thanks Richieroo

So it sounds like the problem with passive preamps may be on the power amp end rather than on the ND555 output side.  Out of curiosity, was your passive preamp an autotransformer type?  I looked up a VTL200 and the input impedance was 45K, while the Naim amps tend to be 18K.  

Bailyhill

Richieroo posted:

I am a huge fan of passive pre amps...however, not with Naim ..it will should flatter....less drive ...just not as good. You are right they are flipping expensive....I think if you really want to use a passive try a different amp....my old vtls loved the passive....

Was the passive the auto transformer type?

Bailyhill

My ND555/PSU555 is in the country (USA) and on its way to my dealer.  I am hoping to pick it up in about a week.  Then the burn in begins.  I am excited about this new item.  Its the 

first new item in my system in a long time. It will be replacing my NDX.  

Bailyhill

Add Reply

Likes (8)
nigelbAndrewGAlan McGoverngroxMinh NguyenLifesabreezeKlydeEmre