Network connections - far more crucial than I could ever believe!

French Rooster posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

But what has that got to do with LANs, and how do you know they are of high quality? Are they certified, or is it simply they cost a lot and you notice a sound difference with them...

You see this is my point... you end up potentially confusing yourself and others by referring to terms that really are very superficial and to many misleading. By all means refer to Audiophile Ethernet patch leads, but if you are referring to the LAN to many, and certainly to those who work with this stuff day in and day out, we are almost certainly talking about something else.

By the way I do recommend you look at the quality of your LAN as I indicate above it can make quite a difference especially in ease of use and responsiveness to streaming applications.

Simon, why such energy to demonstrate that i am wrong ?    This forum is to share our experience.  My english is a bit abrupt, without nuances, so it can be wrongly understood.

I have no technical knowledge in hifi, computers, cables,....and can’t explain why i find that audiophile lans cables as audioquest vodka or diamond give better sound on my system. But it is a fact for me and for a lot of users.  But can’t explain why other don’t hear the same improvement.   It is a mystery.  I don’t know where is the truth here, and if it’s possible to have the same sound quality without expensive audiophile lans cables.   I would prefer not to invest in this cables if there was other solution.

French Rooster, Simon is not saying that you are wrong. What he is saying is that an apple is not a pear. He needs to know that you are both talking the same language and referring to the same thing.

GHENT Cat6a with Belden cable and Metz Plugs

So I received the cable, but waited as another firmware update I wanted to familiarise with before adding another variable to the mix.

Anyway firstly this cable is damn fine in terms of build, outclassed my Chord Aray with ease, the Metz Plugs are impressive, similar to the AQ Vodka but it's makes them look cheap and flimsy.

So I used 6 familiar tracks and went.

1. Chord Aray current setup (FMB to Streamer);

2. Ghent replaced Chord Aray (FMB to Streamer);

3. GHENT swapped the direction (Ghent say not directional);

4. Chord Aray, back to 1. Current setup.

5. Chord C Stream, replaced with Ghent (Switch to FMB).

Right enough waffle, in short the Ghent is VERY good, finding the right direction music flows better, but putting back the Chord music just flows with ease and all the subtleties make it so organic. 

I did think for a moment I was about to hang up my Chord Aray pom poms, but no, but the Ghent at a 10th of the price is VERY impressive.

So moving on, my forum friend MR FRENCH ROOSTER postulated that the switch to FMB cable is also important, so I thought I would swap the Chord C Stream with the Ghent.

Wow oh wow, that change was very subtle, but the sound stage has grown in height and the sense of air around the soundstage is VERY, very involving, back to what I liked about the original Nova firmware.

My only issue is now, I feel I want to either Ghent my router to switch also, or the worrying scenario is Chord Aray the full router to switch to FMB to Streamer.

Obsydian posted:

One question the Ghent is 1.5m, my Chord C Stream was 0.5m, as it was a short Switch to FMB, is there an issue cooking ethernet cables, I would think not, but then I also said I would never spend more than the £5 Amazon ethernet cable 😂

Hey my friend,  nice discovery this ghent cable.   Is this a chinese cable ?    because China can make nowadays very good stuff for much less money.  And i remember it was flying from China (?).

Glad you experimented too the impact of a good lan between router and switch.  If you can borrow another indigo to try between router and switch, it would be interesting.

Yes Ghent Audio, over on CA it is highly regarded, sound and in terms of technical specifications...

I would need 3 Chord Aray, so another 2, at circa £1000 each, I will pass, but plan to get another Ghent as it does seem a very neutral cable.

I also ordered a USB Ghent cable so my car, very minor improvement in terms of clearer vocals and tightening of bass lines.

I do think in a week I will try another A B A C, as most cables I have found take a good few hours to settle, the Ghent cold is VERY good, maybe run in it maybe better than the Aray.

Obsydian posted:

Yes Ghent Audio, over on CA it is highly regarded, sound and in terms of technical specifications...

I would need 3 Chord Aray, so another 2, at circa £1000 each, I will pass, but plan to get another Ghent as it does seem a very neutral cable.

I also ordered a USB Ghent cable so my car, very minor improvement in terms of clearer vocals and tightening of bass lines.

I do think in a week I will try another A B A C, as most cables I have found take a good few hours to settle, the Ghent cold is VERY good, maybe run in it maybe better than the Aray.

why do you need 3 ethernet cables Obsydian ?    you have a uniticore or a server ?

French Rooster posted:
Obsydian posted:

why do you need 3 ethernet cables Obsydian ?    you have a uniticore or a server ?

1 Cable (Chord C Stream) Router to Switch

1 Cable (Ghent Cat6a) Switch to FMB

1 Cable (Chord Indigo Aray) - FMB to Streamer

Replacing the first two with Chord Aray is not wise, so thinking replace the C Stream with another Ghent.

But before I do I want baseline the current setup and then move the Ghent (Router to Switch).

Bit more listening today and for sure the Ghent is starting to open up, of things continue I maybe have to switch the Chord and just got all out Ghent.

Finkfan posted:

Keep us posted!

I found both the Meicord and Supra CAT8 neutral sounding with the Meicord sounding slightly more open and tighter. 

Has anyone tried SOtM cables? 

I initially went from an Amazon £5 to the Supra, I found it subtle but worthwhile, later I added a Supra power cable just to my setup, it really killed the top end dynamics, in the end I removed the Supra ethernet and power cables.

It would be a good idea to have a cable thread, where we try and capture what each cable brings, subtracts and stays neutral, as everyone has a preference in terms of dare I say tone controls 😉

Obsydian posted:
French Rooster posted:
Obsydian posted:

1 Cable (Chord C Stream) Router to Switch

1 Cable (Ghent Cat6a) Switch to FMB

1 Cable (Chord Indigo Aray) - FMB to Streamer

Replacing the first two with Chord Aray is not wise, so thinking replace the C Stream with another Ghent.

But before I do I want baseline the current setup and then move the Ghent (Router to Switch).

Bit more listening today and for sure the Ghent is starting to open up, of things continue I maybe have to switch the Chord and just got all out Ghent.

yes, all clear, i just forgot the fmc.

Add Reply

Likes (1)
Pcd