New Kudos Titan 707

Frank Abela posted:
Bodger posted:
Frank Abela posted:
Bodger posted:
sunbeamgls posted:

I really wanted to like the 808 and was a bit (positively) biased once I got to THAT shop. I found the 808 fast but shouty. Bass was not the real deal for me. I thought they needed a second bass driver.

Dave

It already has 2 bass drivers.

Err, it has one. A mid and a tweeterrr.

No bodger, it has two bass units in isobaric configuration. I.e. One bass driver you can see and another in a chamber behind that one loading it specifically for bass response. So IT HAS TWO.

Frank.

Frank,

I know - you are right. I sent a "like" to Sunbeam to apologise. I forgot about the second driver tucked away. So to be completely accurate, it needs a third bass driver

LOL, in fact it has a third one but the speaker is configured as a 2.5 way so not sure how much it counts nor where in the bass spectrum it comes in. 

It could simply be that the type of bass presentation, which is very clean, is just not for you. Many people struggle when the bass presentation is totally clean - they expect a little euphonic warmth which acts as a comfort. Unfortunately, it often acts as a soak which doesn't allow the speaker to drive as quickly. Not sure, maybe something else was at play, so many variables...

Thanks for the ray of light!

Frank.

My room shakes when heavy bass is played through my Titans. Bass shy they are not!

//Jonas

analogmusic posted:
sunbeamgls posted:
Chris Bell posted:

I own a pair of Kudos T88's.  The bass performance is excellent, but like any high-end speaker, it's what's upstream that matters.  As to the "shouty" comment, my experience has been that is caused by poor soldering joints and incorrect speaker pins.  Derrick (the designer) was very helpful when I took delivery of my pair and sorting out problems.  He's a very bright designer and uses Naim electronics to voice his speakers.  

Naim amps, but not necessarily sources, at least judging from the equipment they take to shows.

which sources do they use?

Derek used NDS-252-300 at home with a pair of Titans when I visited him. Sounded marvellous. 

//Jonas

Jonas Olofsson posted:

My room shakes when heavy bass is played through my Titans. Bass shy they are not!

Most any full range speaker played at moderate volume is capable of exciting bass modes in a room. Shaking the room may be more an indicator of the need for low frequency acoustic treatment.

joerand posted:
Jonas Olofsson posted:

Most any full range speaker played at moderate volume is capable of exciting bass modes in a room. Shaking the room may be more an indicator of the need for low frequency acoustic treatment.

Fair point. Still, bass shy they aren't. But of course Melco-NDS-500-Music-Sonority helps...

//Jonas

Hungryhalibut posted:

I think they look super, and would happily accommodate them if I had the wherewithal. It's great to see a new expensive speaker that doesn't look like a dalek or a waste bin. 

HH, I must entirely agree after seeing and hearing the 707s at the Bristol show last week the pictures are a poor reflection of how good they look in the flesh.

As I previously posted they sound rather special it will be interesting when they are at the dealers to see how they stack up against the Sopra 2 mind you it could be the other way round.

Pcd posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

I think they look super, and would happily accommodate them if I had the wherewithal. It's great to see a new expensive speaker that doesn't look like a dalek or a waste bin. 

HH, I must entirely agree after seeing and hearing the 707s at the Bristol show last week the pictures are a poor reflection of how good they look in the flesh.

As I previously posted they sound rather special it will be interesting when they are at the dealers to see how they stack up against the Sopra 2 mind you it could be the other way round.

Sopra 3 perhaps,  given the pricing?

sunbeamgls posted:
Frank F posted:
sunbeamgls posted:
rsch posted:

Pictures ?

A few posts down in the Bristol Show thread:  https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...-bristol-show?page=1

Is this Doctor Peter back in a new guise?? 

The style of posts seems to fit the old guise and the Sunbeam - oh the Sunbeam.  If so it is good to see you back.

FF

I didn't know I'd gone away.

I think he's confusing you with Peter Swain who also has a passion for old Talbot's (and Hi-Fi !)

Bodger posted:
Dave J posted:

To be fair, if you haven't heard Kudos you're not in a position to comment at all ��

To be fair, nobody has heard the 707's so I would suggest everyman and his dog can comment on this gossip thread.

That statement wasn't completely true at the time but I wasn't going to comment...

Phil

james n posted:
sunbeamgls posted:
Frank F posted:
sunbeamgls posted:
rsch posted:

Pictures ?

A few posts down in the Bristol Show thread:  https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...-bristol-show?page=1

Is this Doctor Peter back in a new guise?? 

The style of posts seems to fit the old guise and the Sunbeam - oh the Sunbeam.  If so it is good to see you back.

FF

I didn't know I'd gone away.

I think he's confusing you with Peter Swain who also has a passion for old Talbot's (and Hi-Fi !)

Ah. Peter and I do have the same taste in classic cars

Jonas Olofsson posted:
Frank Abela posted:

LOL, in fact it has a third one but the speaker is configured as a 2.5 way so not sure how much it counts nor where in the bass spectrum it comes in. 

It could simply be that the type of bass presentation, which is very clean, is just not for you. Many people struggle when the bass presentation is totally clean - they expect a little euphonic warmth which acts as a comfort. Unfortunately, it often acts as a soak which doesn't allow the speaker to drive as quickly. Not sure, maybe something else was at play, so many variables...

Thanks for the ray of light!

Frank.

//Jonas

According to the text I got from my "landlady" a few weeks ago then so does my neighbours two doors down...

Phil

I think the 707's look terrific in the picture. I wish Derek would change the look of the front baffle but Im sure he has his reasons.. I wonder how the 707's compare with the original T88's ? My gut says that the original two box design should be superior in the lower registers but this may have been resolved with interior cabinet design in the 707. Time will tell as you guys hear them in the flesh in the UK. No chance of that happening here ..

ATB,

Mark

Interesting John...perhaps your ears are accustomed to your massive DBL cabinet volume ? In my room, with my 552/500, the T88's provide tight,tuneful bass with great extension . In comparison, when I demoed the Ovator 600, which has a similar cabinet volume as the T88's, your characterizations were similar to mine. As always, the room may play a big role here...

ATB,

Mark

Phil Harris posted:
Bodger posted:

To be fair, nobody has heard the 707's so I would suggest everyman and his dog can comment on this gossip thread.

That statement wasn't completely true at the time but I wasn't going to comment...

Phil

Phil,
You tease.  Did you hear them passive ... or active    FT

Chris Bell posted:

Any spec's for the new 707?  Is it a 2 way or 3 way?  Are there woofers tucked inside the enclosure?  

It's a 2 way, isobaric. Not much wider (I think 30mm was mentioned) than S20s but a fair bit deeper. You can run them in passive, active or Linn Exakt mode. On a 250DR they sounded great but Derek said that they sounded superb with a brace of Devialets

Dave J posted:
Chris Bell posted:

Any spec's for the new 707?  Is it a 2 way or 3 way?  Are there woofers tucked inside the enclosure?  

It's a 2 way, isobaric. Not much wider (I think 30mm was mentioned) than S20s but a fair bit deeper. You can run them in passive, active or Linn Exakt mode. On a 250DR they sounded great but Derek said that they sounded superb with a brace of Devialets

30cm perhaps ?

Jonn posted:

I've heard the original T88 driven by NAP 500 on two occasions and was underwhelmed. In particular bass extension was suprisingly poor and ill-defined given the size of the cabinets.

I entirely agree. I'll-defined with poor detail and timing. I haven't heard a Kudos with decent bass. Or midrange.

al9315 posted:
Dave J posted:
Chris Bell posted:

30cm perhaps ?

I think Dave is saying that the 707s are 30mm wider than the S20s i.e. a total width of 23cm compared to 20cm for the s20.

Likes (3)
Allante93ayap1nigelb