New Turntables - Bristol Show

Mr Frog posted:

S3 .. that would be awesome and very much appreciated if you could.

I look forward to hearing from you, regarding what Rega say on the matter. 

So I spoke at length to Phil Freeman at the show this morning. I asked him whether the Neo would improve the RP8’s performance over the stock TTPS. His response was thorough and informative. Bottom line - it is a significant upgrade over the stock TTPS. Many reasons but most important was the reduction in vibration transferred to the motor. He used the motor in the hand example which Richard articulated.

Hope that helps with your decision.

Regards

David

Alba1320 posted:
bluedog posted:
sunbeamgls posted:
What I liked most about this deck was that it didn't sound like vinyl - the timing and stability of the music is stunning.  Which probably means it won't appeal to turntable lovers, maybe. Possibly.

I'm slightly puzzled by your remark which Im assuming is the result of either "mild trolling" or complete lack of experience of hearing any competent TT from £400 upwards.

I think he's one of those strange individuals who prefers digital to analogue, so likes his vinyl to sound like CD!

(And, BTW, people do realise that emoticons are there for a reason, right? )

I'm aware that the youngsters have adopted emojis as a substitute for the subtleties of the English language - but Ill manage without them at my somewhat advanced age 

bluedog posted:
sunbeamgls posted:
What I liked most about this deck was that it didn't sound like vinyl - the timing and stability of the music is stunning.  Which probably means it won't appeal to turntable lovers, maybe. Possibly.

I'm slightly puzzled by your remark which Im assuming is the result of either "mild trolling" or complete lack of experience of hearing any competent TT from £400 upwards.

Keep reading the thread and you'll find that the subtleties of the English language can be too subtle for some. Probably. Maybe. Possibly.

(More subtle clues to the subtle clues there for you).

Alba1320 posted:
bluedog posted:
sunbeamgls posted:

I think he's one of those strange individuals who prefers digital to analogue, so likes his vinyl to sound like CD!

(And, BTW, people do realise that emoticons are there for a reason, right? )

emotion with bad timing and not stable sound?   curious point of view from a vinyl lover

S3 posted:
Mr Frog posted:

So I spoke at length to Phil Freeman at the show this morning. I asked him whether the Neo would improve the RP8’s performance over the stock TTPS. His response was thorough and informative. Bottom line - it is a significant upgrade over the stock TTPS. Many reasons but most important was the reduction in vibration transferred to the motor. He used the motor in the hand example which Richard articulated.

Regards

David

Hi David

Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with Rega (Phil Freeman) regarding the Neo with RP8.

This is really helpful and corroborates exactly what you have found with yours and also the findings of Jason Kennedy (The Ear) - plus Richard Dane's comment about the significant reduction in motor vibration, which he personally experienced at the Rega factory.

Based on this, I believe that the Neo is definitely the way to go (in spite of what the other Rega Research guy directed .... ). Again, this may be down to the fact that the Neo closes the gap between the RP8 and RP10, which may be something that Rega don't want to promote .... which may be for sound business reasons.

It's a shame that Rega don't now supply the RP8 from new with the Neo included ... though I guess they may have existing stocks remaining of the original (dedicated) TT-PSU.

Looks as if I'll need to buy the Neo separately and immediately consign the supplied turntable PSU into its box ... being redundant and surplus to requirements!

Thanks again for your kind support - which is very much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your weekend 

Mr Frog posted:
S3 posted:
Mr Frog posted:

Regards

David

Hi David

Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with Rega (Phil Freeman) regarding the Neo with RP8.

This is really helpful and corroborates exactly what you have found with yours and also the findings of Jason Kennedy (The Ear) - plus Richard Dane's comment about the significant reduction in motor vibration, which he personally experienced at the Rega factory.

Based on this, I believe that the Neo is definitely the way to go (in spite of what the other Rega Research guy directed .... ). Again, this may be down to the fact that the Neo closes the gap between the RP8 and RP10, which may be something that Rega don't want to promote .... which may be for sound business reasons.

It's a shame that Rega don't now supply the RP8 from new with the Neo included ... though I guess they may have existing stocks remaining of the original (dedicated) TT-PSU.

Looks as if I'll need to buy the Neo separately and immediately consign the supplied turntable PSU into its box ... being redundant and surplus to requirements!

Thanks again for your kind support - which is very much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your weekend 

about 200 GBP for the neo psu option.  As you said, the gap vs the rp10 must be closer, but how closer ?   the platter and arm of the rp10 is still better, but maybe the gap is little.

I went to Bristol today and wholeheartedly agree with those who say it was, with a few exceptions, poor.  Naim was among the worst: no engagement with the punters, continuous high levels of background noise, no new products to hear and no music that I liked (I went in 3 times, hoping). I asked about the change of format compared with recent years and was told it   was to give more people the chance to listen......but to what? Very disappointing indeed. One of the better, more engaging exhibits was Neat, where a former Naim employee (I will name no names) was 'hosting'! 

AndrewG posted:

I went to Bristol today and wholeheartedly agree with those who say it was, with a few exceptions, poor.  Naim was among the worst: no engagement with the punters, continuous high levels of background noise, no new products to hear and no music that I liked (I went in 3 times, hoping). I asked about the change of format compared with recent years and was told it   was to give more people the chance to listen......but to what? Very disappointing indeed. One of the better, more engaging exhibits was Neat, where a former Naim employee (I will name no names) was 'hosting'! 

I just can’t bare those ghastly Focal speakers that Naim are now compelled to use when demoing their fabulous electronics. Such a shame. Contrast that with the Dynaudio room which, as always, was the best sound at the show and used pretty much the same system as Naim did in the Terrace area. 

Dave J posted:
kevin J Carden posted:
Dave J posted:

The Naim demo in the cellar of doom was awful. Entirely down to the dreadful Focul loudspeakers - although there was one poor chap on the front row who nearly rocked his head off.  Fortunately Kudos saved day as far as Naim is concerned by demo-ing the new 505s with the same Naim streamer/amp/thingie. Fab.

Entirely in line with my thoughts Dave. Kudos room showed Nova in a totally different light. Nothing wrong with the electronics..

Yes, I was rather taken by the Nova/505 combo. It didn’t have the scale or detail of a bigger Naim-based system, but it made music and I hung around for a good 20 minutes enjoying what it was doing.

We were possibly there at the same time, shame we didn’t have our tags on as it would have been good to have met up.

Yes, shame nobody knows who’s who! I thought the music Kudos played while I was in the room very iffy which didn’t help, but again fully concur. It was easy to imagine how much more the 505’s are capable of, but nothing much wrong with a Nova in control either. 

I went up to the Naim stand in the terrace to ask about the Yazz Ahmed CD, 4 staff, all 'checking their mobiles', ended up buying a copy at HMV in town on the way home. The big room seemed dire, punters sitting around, staff milling around, tannoy-like noises from those big plastic horrors. Rega were a delight, staff delighted to talk and chat, was introduced to Terry Bateman, their CD and amp creator, what a nice guy. Those 'baby' Titans did sound interesting, as usual though, concrete hotel rooms less than ideal. ATC making some nice noises too. My business attends consumer shows, I learnt a lot on friday and not much of it about hifi. 

Usually after the Bristol show we get several threads talking excitedly about the experience, including photographs of equipment and rooms. Unfortunately, I was unable to make it there myself this year, but reading this thread at least it would seem that I've not missed much. Even when the show has been disappointing in the past I've often made new musical discoveries, but it appears that those who have attended haven't even been so impressed by the music. Oh dear!

Reflecting on my experiences at the show yesterday evening I remember one of the first times I went; around 2000 and Naim were proudly demonstrating their SL2 loudspeakers.

It was one of the really significant moments in my musical journey. I fell in love instantly with how they looked and sounded. The passion of the team describing their design and components was tangible. Although, as a young trainee solicitor at the time, there was no way I could even think about being able to afford a pair I promised myself that, one day I would own them in Maple.

17 years later I fulfilled that ambition but, more importantly, my reflections yesterday centred on what I felt has made Naim such a special firm. Their design and manufacture of innovative, trail-blazing loudspeakers was front and centre of that and, although I understand the economic challenges of continuing to do so, to me there seems to be some missing magic in their makeup these days and I think it’s probably that.

Clive B posted:

Usually after the Bristol show we get several threads talking excitedly about the experience, including photographs of equipment and rooms. Unfortunately, I was unable to make it there myself this year, but reading this thread at least it would seem that I've not missed much. Even when the show has been disappointing in the past I've often made new musical discoveries, but it appears that those who have attended haven't even been so impressed by the music. Oh dear!

Sadly I found it quite flat this year. Not a lot of exciting new stuff, and a lot of the rooms seemed very bright to me, so I found listening to them tiring. It may have just been me though. B&W were the stars of the show for me, I thought they pitched the dem of the 700s very well. The Naim setup didn’t work for me, I don’t like the sound of the Utopias, so didn’t stay long. The new streamer area seemed pretty dead, I couldn’t spot free Naim people to talk to, and didn’t want to make my friends stand looking at boxes until I could find someone. 

We seem to be a bit off topic - having moved on to impressions of the Bristol show.  I went yesterday (first time for about 5 years) and really enjoyed it. The big  Naim system was not my cup of tea at all; however the one in the basement sounded very good to my ears but the Focal speakers look awful.  System hierarchy seems to have gone out of the window - a £4k one box solution plus £7k speakers - plenty of others with the same approach. It's a long way from the advice of 30 years ago that if you could afford it you should buy an LP12 and if you couldn't afford an amp and speakers to go with it,  you could at least watch your records go round.

I also enjoyed the Audio Note room where Vincent Belanger was playing cello using the Audio Note system for the accompaniment. Harbeth P3ES speakers were making really good sounds for such small boxes. ATC and Dynaudio were enjoyable too. Some systems sounded dire and best not to mention any names.

BN

Likes (0)