Nice Photos.

Sandy/Winky/Mogul.......

Hi Guys,

Sandy has posted some superb photos of the Garabaldi Lake area, with even more on his Flickr site.

This year our "summer" trip will be late Sept/early Oct and we have already booked into Lake O'Hara for a couple of days at the end of the camping season and will spend a week or so around Sunshine/Assiniboine with our "Outlaws". However, our youngest is also joining us early October for a couple of weeks and would like to visit Whistler.

Sandy's photos from the Black Tusk have inspired me to explore this area in a bit more detail - we have been to Whistler a couple of times but not done much other than the usual Whistler/Peak-to-Peak/Blackcoombe rides and walks.

Because the kids won't have backcountry camping gear, we will be limited to day hikes.

Is the top of the Black Tusk acheivable as a day hike? and how difficult is it to reach the "Top of the World" position from which Sandy has taken those marvellous shots ?

Which other day hikes could you recommend in the Whistler/Squammish area?

Many thanks for any guidance you are able to provide and any photos would probably be appreciated by more than just me !

Cheers

Don 

Originally Posted by Don Atkinson:

Sandy/Winky/Mogul.......

Hi Guys,

Sandy has posted some superb photos of the Garabaldi Lake area, with even more on his Flickr site.

This year our "summer" trip will be late Sept/early Oct and we have already booked into Lake O'Hara for a couple of days at the end of the camping season and will spend a week or so around Sunshine/Assiniboine with our "Outlaws". However, our youngest is also joining us early October for a couple of weeks and would like to visit Whistler.

Sandy's photos from the Black Tusk have inspired me to explore this area in a bit more detail - we have been to Whistler a couple of times but not done much other than the usual Whistler/Peak-to-Peak/Blackcoombe rides and walks.

Because the kids won't have backcountry camping gear, we will be limited to day hikes.

Is the top of the Black Tusk acheivable as a day hike? and how difficult is it to reach the "Top of the World" position from which Sandy has taken those marvellous shots ?

Which other day hikes could you recommend in the Whistler/Squammish area?

Many thanks for any guidance you are able to provide and any photos would probably be appreciated by more than just me !

Cheers

Don 

Hi Don

Nice to hear some of my pics have inspired you to get out and explore this area in more detail on your next visit. 

To answer your question about Black Tusk, yes it is possible to get up there on a day hike (we've done it a few times) but be prepared for a long hard day. Garibaldi lake is 9k up a fairly easy switchback trail through the woods and a nice destination in itself. From there it is a further 6k up to Black Tusk. Panorama Ridge (Top of the world pic) is accessible from the lake as well and is around the same distance as the Tusk. Either hike ends up being a 30k round trip so figure 7 to 9 hrs total depending on your level of fitness. 

If you'd like to find different hikes in the area i recommend the site squamishhiatus.com. There is a Whistler version of the site too. I've used the site and found it pretty helpful and accurate as well.

Hope you enjoy your time out here and if you'd like more info(or even a hiking partner)feel free to PM me. My email address is in my profile.

Cheers

Sandy

Originally Posted by Sandy8:

Hi Don

Nice to hear some of my pics have inspired you to get out and explore this area in more detail on your next visit. 

To answer your question about Black Tusk, yes it is possible to get up there on a day hike (we've done it a few times) but be prepared for a long hard day. Garibaldi lake is 9k up a fairly easy switchback trail through the woods and a nice destination in itself. From there it is a further 6k up to Black Tusk. Panorama Ridge (Top of the world pic) is accessible from the lake as well and is around the same distance as the Tusk. Either hike ends up being a 30k round trip so figure 7 to 9 hrs total depending on your level of fitness. 

If you'd like to find different hikes in the area i recommend the site squamishhiatus.com. There is a Whistler version of the site too. I've used the site and found it pretty helpful and accurate as well.

Hope you enjoy your time out here and if you'd like more info(or even a hiking partner)feel free to PM me. My email address is in my profile.

Cheers

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Many thanks for the info above, which is really helpful and the offer as a hiking partner is most welcome.

I hadn't appreciated that the Panorama Ridge and the Tusk were two different places - although not that far appart. Based on your photos and descriptions, plus a browse through the Squamishhiatus site that you mentioned, I have pencilled in Panarama Ridge (with a possible route back via Garabaldi Lake). It will mean an early start to be sure of making the top and returning before dark. I anticipate more like 10 hours for the round trip for me !

I haven't done much hiking this year due to work and home improvement projects, but plan to re-start longer hikes in a couple of weeks time after Mrs D departs for Vernon and I have a bit more time on my hands. Hopefully by late September/ early October I will be fit enough again to do 30km and >5,000' elevation in a day. The kids (ok, they are 25+) should have no problem. Mrs D was never able to manage such a long day ! I know the weather is less predictable these years, but how late in the year do you normally anticipate these trails remain open ?

If we do build Garabaldi into our itinerary as planned, it would be wonderful to meet up to do this hike. Itineraries here are changing on a daily basis at the moment, but if the kids don't include Garibaldi, I might well do so myself since I will be staying on after they return.

As our plans reach maturity, I will e-mail you to see if we can sort a suitable day.

Again, many thanks for the info and look forward to being able to see those wonderful sights in the raw.

Cheers

Don

I know the weather is less predictable these years, but how late in the year do you normally anticipate these trails remain open

Hi Don

Last year we had a nice fall so the trail was mostly snow free into late october. Hopefully this year will be the same but you never know...

Kevin, you're making me hungry!

Add Reply

Likes (12)
Don AtkinsonIvo BHaim RonenoldneilrobgrMikeT.FangfossFlyerSteve JQuad 33Former MemberKevin-WCbr600