North Sea Jazz Festival 2018

Hi all. I am very much looking forward to enjoy the festival this week Friday - Sunday. I will ensure that I publish a report of the concerts I am seeing. And I hope it will be worthwhile / enjoyable for people. As appetizer I have here the lineup video for the festival....

Original Post

Friday was a quiet and at the same time remarkable day. Highlights for me have been....

1. Charles Lloyd - amazing how this guy still plays at this age, he is also standing there as if he is 20 years younger. 

2. A surprise performance of Bill Frisell and John Surman, absolute magic.

3. The Alex Mercado Trio... - energy with lyrical playing...

Bert Schurink posted:

Friday was a quiet and at the same time remarkable day. Highlights for me have been....

1. Charles Lloyd - amazing how this guy still plays at this age, he is also standing there as if he is 20 years younger. 

2. A surprise performance of Bill Frisell and John Surman, absolute magic.

3. The Alex Mercado Trio... - energy with lyrical playing...

Bert, 

That is a real treat getting to see Bill Frisell (and John Surman).  Bill F is on the new Charles Lloyd album as is Lucinda Williams whom I adore but just didn’t think that she suited this genre. 

Enjoy the rest of the festival.

Andy

Today already the 2nd day ......, remarkable Quartet NL - as always very entertain8ng with Han Bennink, while he lost it sometimes...

Realy good Pat Metheny with a collection of some older material - what a bass player Linda Oh and of course the drummer Antonio Sanchez....

GoGo Penguin, seeing them live is a joy, it almost feels like you are on pills....

Drikus posted:
Jeroen20 posted:

Footage from this years edition by Dutch television.

https://www.uitzendinggemist.n.../North_Sea_Jazz.html

Pity they didn't show more jazz in the footage. Don't know why they still hold on to the "Jazz" in the name...

The footage is a poor representation of the festival. It tends to focus on big soul acts. Real jazz can be seen in the smaller venues. I see 85% of Jazz during the festival.

Nice! Did you see any of these in the past 2 days?;

ROY HARGROVE
STANLEY CLARKE
MARCUS MILLER
TORD GUSTAVSEN
PHILIP CATHERINE
PHAROAH SANDERS

And are any of these on your list for today?;

MATHIAS EICK
HUDSON - DEJOHNETTE / SCOFIELD / MEDESKI / COLLEY
ERIC VLOEIMANS
BILLY HART / JOSHUA REDMAN
AVISHAI COHEN
VIJAY IYER

Drikus posted:

Nice! Did you see any of these in the past 2 days?;

ROY HARGROVE
STANLEY CLARKE
MARCUS MILLER
TORD GUSTAVSEN
PHILIP CATHERINE
PHAROAH SANDERS

And are any of these on your list for today?;

MATHIAS EICK
HUDSON - DEJOHNETTE / SCOFIELD / MEDESKI / COLLEY
ERIC VLOEIMANS
BILLY HART / JOSHUA REDMAN
AVISHAI COHEN
VIJAY IYER

Past two days I only saw Philip Catherine of those ones, had conflicting concerts for the others.

Besides Avishai Cohen (his program doesn’t attract me right now), I might see them all.... looking forward to today - as it has a lot to like...

Had the last day quite a number of good and or interesting concerts. Matthias Eick - very Lyrical, great experience in concert. Ibrahim Malouf with Queen of Sheba, quite an experience.... , Joshua Redman and Billy Hart quite a great concert.....

and much more, I still intend to publish more with reviews and some photos in the next days...

Add Reply

Likes (0)