Second Hicap on Nac 82

I have bought a second Hicap to use on my 82 it is within a couple of years of age of my other one and will hopefully compare favourably to the Supercap I tried before. If not then I will go back to trying a Supercap again as I realised after its quite hasty departure that I should have given it a little longer however it will be good to hear what two hicaps can do.

Original Post

It would be interesting to hear your opinion. I have read a few comments before and there did not appear to be a clear answer as to whether it was better or not. Intuitively, you would expect an advantage but I have seen opinions that suggested that it became too polite and lost some of the joie de vivre

JRHardee posted:

You can find an opinion to back you up on just about everything, but the overwhelming consensus is that the second HC doesn't bring much to the party.

I wasn't looking for people to back me up on anything as never having tried two Hicaps on an 82 I don't even have an opinion yet but what I was looking for were peoples REAL experience having tried this combination themselves.

I have tried powering both sockets on a 282 with a third party psu though and so will be able to offer comparisons on that which may or may not be of interest but it will at least be an attempt to offer something informative.

Bob the Builder posted:
JRHardee posted:

You can find an opinion to back you up on just about everything, but the overwhelming consensus is that the second HC doesn't bring much to the party.

I wasn't looking for people to back me up on anything as never having tried two Hicaps on an 82 I don't even have an opinion yet but what I was looking for were peoples REAL experience having tried this combination themselves.

I have tried powering both sockets on a 282 with a third party psu though and so will be able to offer comparisons on that which may or may not be of interest but it will at least be an attempt to offer something informative.

Please don’t Bob, as that would be a breach of forum rules regarding discussion of unauthorised modifications to Naim kit.

Bob the Builder posted:

I have bought a second Hicap to use on my 82 it is within a couple of years of age of my other one and will hopefully compare favourably to the Supercap I tried before. If not then I will go back to trying a Supercap again as I realised after its quite hasty departure that I should have given it a little longer however it will be good to hear what two hicaps can do.

Can anyone point me to a link showing how to wire up two Hi-Caps to a 282.

I've got one on loan into my old olive NAP 250 and it sounds very good, but I have other Hi-Caps lurking around if I can find the correct leads!

I'd really like a 252 but the 282 has the benefit of me being able to repurpose some older Hi-caps to use with it.

More specifically an online PDF I found sugests:

NAC 282 can also be powered by two Hi-Cap supplies. In this case they are connected to the same sockets as the two Supercap power supply cables.

However I'm not clear if the second Hi-Cap simply hooks via a Snaic to the 2nd SuperCap input after removing the plastic blanker, or if somehow the Hi-Caps need a connection between them to enable use of the second SuperCap input.

cheeselet posted:

I use two Hicaps on the 282 and settled at that. 

When I try going back to one Hicap something is lost for me. The pre sounds more eloquent with the two.

Shame, as I wouldn't mind reducing my box count a tad, and cashing in a Hicap! 

It's called "replacing 2 HC with 1 SC" and voila! Box count reduced............................

Suzy Wong posted:
cheeselet posted:

I use two Hicaps on the 282 and settled at that. 

When I try going back to one Hicap something is lost for me. The pre sounds more eloquent with the two.

Shame, as I wouldn't mind reducing my box count a tad, and cashing in a Hicap! 

It's called "replacing 2 HC with 1 SC" and voila! Box count reduced............................

Replacing “2 HC with 1 SC” creates no extra space as far as I can see. A SC is twice as wide as a HC.

Anyway, that’s just a side effect. 

Will the Supercap justify its extra expense with a corresponding increase in sq?

hungryhalibut posted:

Back in the day, I added a second Hicap to my 82 and found that it made very little difference, and certainly not one that was worth the cost. I then sold both Hicaps and bought a Supercap, which provided a significant upgrade. 

Initial reaction is that it's harsher with two Hi-Caps, more testing required.....plus swapping in/out a different vintage 3rd Hi-Cap....

Bob,

I replaced the 2 Hi-caps with a Supercap on my 82 and found a big improvement in SQ.

Before adding the 2nd Hi-cap I was running the 82 on 1 Hi-cap. The addition of a 2nd Hi-cap made a slight improvement but nothing like the WOW factor given by the Supercap.

Montone posted:

Bob,

I replaced the 2 Hi-caps with a Supercap on my 82 and found a big improvement in SQ.

Before adding the 2nd Hi-cap I was running the 82 on 1 Hi-cap. The addition of a 2nd Hi-cap made a slight improvement but nothing like the WOW factor given by the Supercap.

I do know that wow factor I had a Supercap about a month ago and at the time found it a bit too much wow and let it go which I now do regret as maybe it might have bedded in or I may have got used to all of that extra detail but I wanted to try two Hicaps anyway.

It is entirely down to personal preference because though it made a big diffrence with the supercap on my 82 and yes there was a wow listen to that moment but on certain records it seemed to pick just one instrument that had obviously been very forward in the mix and focus almost entirely on it. Miles Davis trumpet for example on Someday my Prince Will Come drowned out every other instrument so that the track became too much and unenjoyable and this happened on quite a few tracks with quite a few instruments.

Bob the Builder posted:

It is entirely down to personal preference because though it made a big diffrence with the supercap on my 82 and yes there was a wow listen to that moment but on certain records it seemed to pick just one instrument that had obviously been very forward in the mix and focus almost entirely on it. Miles Davis trumpet for example on Someday my Prince Will Come drowned out every other instrument so that the track became too much and unenjoyable and this happened on quite a few tracks with quite a few instruments.

Having been bowled over by NDX 2, NAC 282/Hi-Cap into olive 250 last week, there's something distinctly lacklustre about it this week with 1 or 2 Hi-Caps, this is frustrating to say the least in deciding where to go next - I think something in my subconscious wants a NAC 52/ND 555.....and is sabotaging my thoughts 

Alley Cat posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Having been bowled over by NDX 2, NAC 282/Hi-Cap into olive 250 last week, there's something distinctly lacklustre about it this week with 1 or 2 Hi-Caps, this is frustrating to say the least in deciding where to go next - I think something in my subconscious wants a NAC 52/ND 555.....and is sabotaging my thoughts 

...now I've just switched to an album I know well on LP12 and the NAC 282 seems on fire again....this is so confusing.

Alley Cat posted:
gary yeowell posted:

2 hicaps are better than Supercap on 82 for me.

Sounds as though there may be elements of personal preference here.  Not yet convinced the sound of 282 is better with two vs one.

"Better" is a subjective term which is usually driven by personal preference. There may be minority who prefer 2 Hicaps over 1 Supercap, or 282 over 252. Haven't noticed anyone who regards the 202 to be better than the 552 though. 

ryder. posted:
Alley Cat posted:
gary yeowell posted:

2 hicaps are better than Supercap on 82 for me.

Sounds as though there may be elements of personal preference here.  Not yet convinced the sound of 282 is better with two vs one.

"Better" is a subjective term which is usually driven by personal preference. There may be minority who prefer 2 Hicaps over 1 Supercap, or 282 over 252. Haven't noticed anyone who regards the 202 to be better than the 552 though. 

And why exactly did i put 'for me' at the end of my statement? I'm also not saying with a 282, but an 82, an entirely different sounding pre.

David O'Higgins posted:

It’s a long tiñe ago now, but my clear memory was that adding a second HC to and 82 was a worthwhile improvement and that replacing the HC’s with a Supercap took it to another level (upwards!).

About 2 years ago I put a second HiCapDR on my 282, it sounded better.  After 6 months I moved to a Supercap 2, it sounded better, but not as much as I had hoped it would.

A little later I moved the supercap onto a SNAXO242 and went back to the two HiCap DRs on the 282, there was an improvement but this probably was from going from a 'hacked about' olive NAXO to a new SNAXO242.

My experience was there wasn't a great difference between two HiCap DRs and a single Supercap 2.

Add Reply

Likes (0)