Shelving Unit

lambretta posted:
Timmo1341 posted:

I’d never of heard of Johnny Marr (thought he might be a relative of Andrew!). Google soon revealed why HH approves. Can nothing protect this forum from invasion by The Smiths?!

Never heard of Johnny Marr?? How do you get through life without ever encountering the Smiths?!

What Difference Does it Make is one of my go to tunes to test a new component in the system. Usually followed by How Soon is Now.

As already noted, he has had a stellar career since The Smiths and has managed not to turn into a bigoted old man, unlike Morrissy!

The grumpy bigoted old man can still crack a cheeky smile.

https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/1532c34887b5737341c8da773e1e671c/5C4771BC/t51.2885-15/e15/10499259_683014748445424_706413651_n.jpg

lambretta posted:
Timmo1341 posted:

I’d never of heard of Johnny Marr (thought he might be a relative of Andrew!). Google soon revealed why HH approves. Can nothing protect this forum from invasion by The Smiths?!

Never heard of Johnny Marr?? How do you get through life without ever encountering the Smiths?!

What Difference Does it Make is one of my go to tunes to test a new component in the system. Usually followed by How Soon is Now.

As already noted, he has had a stellar career since The Smiths and has managed not to turn into a bigoted old man, unlike Morrissy!

1. Easy - tried them, didn’t like them.

2. Difficult to comment, not knowing what your system consists of.

3. So stellar I’ve never heard of him. Amazon reviews compare him with Noel Gallagher, so I       don’t think I’ll be rushing to purchase any of his music. Each to their own I guess.

I never expect anyone to like the music or bands that float my boat. I expect reciprocity. I do find it slightly arrogant when, for example, Smith’s devotees expect everyone else to concur or imply they are somehow lacking in musical taste. Strange how this seems to extend to hi-fi equipment and political choices. How sad there should be so much intolerance today.

ricsimas posted:
fatcat posted:

You’re considering putting the LP12 on a shelf that’s attached to high mass structure. (wallshelf on a breezeblock wall).

Your LP12 is already on a shelf that’s attached to a high mass structure. The two rows of LP’s is a high mass structure and the shelf the LP12 sits on is attached to this.

Couple of misconceptions in this post:

1) Good LP12 wall shelves are very rigid and light in mass, so as to get any vibration within the range that the suspension is effective. They also provide a measure of decoupling from the wall, depending on attachment method.

2) You are looking for a solid, inert wall, not necessarily high mass (though those go hand in hand in this case. ). As such, even a good, robust MDF shelving unit will not be the same as a solid wall in this aspect.

3) The shelf it's currently on is much larger than the low-mass one you'd find on something like the Vulkan; if I'm getting its shape right, it will also not behave as rigidly.

I sincerely doubt that you will not see significant improvement with a proper wall shelf assembly for the LP12.

The shelf the LP12 sits on looks very rigid to me. If it runs the full width of the unit, the ends are trapped making it far more rigid than if where sat on cones. If the shelf is attached to the vertical pieces of wood either side of the LP12, it is effectively being help up.

With regards the Vulcan being lightweight, the wooden shelf isn’t that light, a piece of arolam would be much lighter. Plus if lightness is the reason it sounds OK, why do people go to the expense of putting a piece of heavy glass on top of the wooden shelf.

There’s no one way of achieving excellent sound quality, if there was there would only be one type of turntable, one type of amp, one type of speaker cable and one type of speaker. For all we know Lamberetta might of accidently stumbled on the ultimate hifi cabinet/support.

Timmo1341 posted:
lambretta posted:
Timmo1341 posted:

1. Easy - tried them, didn’t like them.

2. Difficult to comment, not knowing what your system consists of.

3. So stellar I’ve never heard of him. Amazon reviews compare him with Noel Gallagher, so I       don’t think I’ll be rushing to purchase any of his music. Each to their own I guess.

I never expect anyone to like the music or bands that float my boat. I expect reciprocity. I do find it slightly arrogant when, for example, Smith’s devotees expect everyone else to concur or imply they are somehow lacking in musical taste. Strange how this seems to extend to hi-fi equipment and political choices. How sad there should be so much intolerance today.

Lighten up. It’s not Smiths devotees’ problem that others are so blind that they cannot see. Or know how to use apostrophes. 

fatcat posted:

The shelf the LP12 sits on looks very rigid to me. If it runs the full width of the unit, the ends are trapped making it far more rigid than if where sat on cones. If the shelf is attached to the vertical pieces of wood either side of the LP12, it is effectively being help up.

With regards the Vulcan being lightweight, the wooden shelf isn’t that light, a piece of arolam would be much lighter. Plus if lightness is the reason it sounds OK, why do people go to the expense of putting a piece of heavy glass on top of the wooden shelf.

Regarding the rigidity, I don't think it's great that the shelf is supported outside the feet of the LP12 - I would expect some deflection with this design. On the original Audiotech, with the original LP12 feet, it goes on a straight line onto the spikes in essence. This means the shelf doesn't deflect. With the current setup I wouldn't expect it to behave the same.

The choice of material for the Vulkan shelf at those dimensions is actually quite light and rigid at a reasonable cost. You could probably reduce the weight, but can you do it at the same cost while keeping it rigid?

Lastly, re: glass, people have done all sorts of things to LP12s that don't necessarily make that much sense: glass, granite, sorbothane feet, clamps... Whatever floats their boat, but there is a reason the recommendation is for light and rigid. ;-)

Add Reply