So when are Naim going to advise it's user base about the software fixes on the new Uniti range?

I got mine in October and it's only settling down now with less and less mood swings so be patient! I reckon I have about 500 hours up. A bit boomey at first, then a bit shrill and hard on the ears, then the bottom end vanished for a while but there were times in the middle it sounded great, it's a lot more consistent now though and sounds pretty damm good, the bass has returned and it's not as shouty. My house is pretty chilly and I'm not convinced it sounds right until the room warms up properly. Thinking of upgrading to a Nova but the thought of going through all that again is a pain, I think next time I'd leave it on 24/7 and when I'm out leave the radio on RP. My Speakers were newish at the time so I'm sure some of the running in funnies were down to them too.

My Nova was great when I got it in October - big step up from Superuniti - and has steadily improved since. No dodgy periods at all - biggest surprise is the significant improvement with vinyl in spite of (because of?) the A2D conversion.

Not just me then finding its sound a bit up and down. I too think it sounds better after its warmed up some. I have found that when using  Roon it sounds overall warmer and more balanced than the internal playback via upnp and Tidal. I thought the opposite to start with but I know  find it's a bit shrill and bright for my tastes.

Obsydian posted:

It is not an input switching option. I thought it was so stopped using hdmi and now even USB, solely on Tidal and the same issues.

If you look lots of Uniti Core issues also.

Bad development and testing.

If your having to use the Naim app then yes issues will continue. I have abandoned using the app completely until they sort it. Using it for Tidal is like pulling teeth anyway. Luckily having Roon allows me to use Tidal, iRadio and all my library without switching inputs using the Roon app which is leagues ahead. Thankfully I can also use the Spotify app or Chromecast in apps on my phone or the unit remote to switch when I need to watch a movie or listen to a cd, spotify or my turntable. Thank god they still bundled a proper remote as it saves finding my phone for everything.

Popeye posted:

Naim told me the uniti range don't have a burn in time and are not like the classic range. And you should hear what you get almost straight out of the box.

Oh great, if that's the case Popeye, mine is awful at the moment, flat, muddled and lacks clarity and separation, and therefore may be going back! In the politest possible way I hope you've been mis-informed. 

I had my Nova running in for about 4 weeks with a ripped CD streaming to it on loop, playing quietly 24 hours a day, that allowed both the electronics and the speakers a good period to come on song. I ddn’t do much listening during that time, the bits I did hear sounded fine, I certainly wouldn't have said flat or muddled, but there was some improvement during the run in. 

Popeye posted:

Naim told me the uniti range don't have a burn in time and are not like the classic range. And you should hear what you get almost straight out of the box.

Why on earth should electronics in the Classic Range need a 'burn in' if the new Uniti devices don't?

Perhaps the whole 'burn in' concept is nonsense and down to placebo effects?

That said, my Nova usually sounds incredible, at other times it's so-so and this is often with the same music, and I've a sneaking suspicion that a proper power down and restart kicks it back into action - again may be placebo effect.

Sloop John B posted:

I fully understand why Naim are reticent to give dates for firmware updates. 

So now we have a date who will be first in line giving out if the date if not achieved?

If Naim keep to the date even though they are not 100% happy they have nailed it, who will be first in line giving out?

I perfectly understand annoyance at things not working as they should but this forum is not a support forum and there is a support email address and I have always found Steve and Phil very helpful whenever I have had to use it. 

Must agree - I was going to make the same comment.

Assuming any new software is out there being beta tested, they cannot realistically assume a release date in case the beta user tests show up issues rendering the release pointless.

Alley Cat posted:
Popeye posted:

Why on earth should electronics in the Classic Range need a 'burn in' if the new Uniti devices don't?

That said, my Nova usually sounds incredible, at other times it's so-so and this is often with the same music, and I've a sneaking suspicion that a proper power down and restart kicks it back into action - again may be placebo effect.

I do also notice that the sq can vary and a reboot seems to fix things or it could be all in the head like so many of these improvements. Don't believe in burn in myself  it's just down to ears getting used to it.

Alley Cat posted:
Popeye posted:

Anything that has to be switched on for weeks on end to sound of its best isn’t good for the environment either. I wonder if Linn or Devilalet gear needs similar amounts of juice to perform? I only leave the Core switched on as it’s consumption is minimal. Everything else goes off and no I’ve not seen any detrimental impact on component life and my oldest piece, the NAT01 has been used this way for the last 20 years. I can offord the power but loath waste even if I am missing out on the last ounce of performance. 

Nick Rich posted:

It may be a naive question, but how do we know when there is firmware / software update (other than reading about it here)?  Do you get a notification, eg on the Nova's screen, or do you have to check manually?

The new Unitis, including the Core, and the musos give you a notification through the app and you can also check via the app if you want. If there is a new update, Naim also announce it on the Forum.

The black box streamers and old servers don't notify you. If you have registered with Naim you should get notified by email or you can see it announced on the Forum or on their website.

best

David

George H posted:

JUST POSTED THIS ON THE OTHER THREAD TOO.

have just had a conversation with Naim. 2nd Week in March, issues resolved in the release cannot be confirmed yet - but it appears that some, or all will be addressed.

Thank you to who I spoke to, very professional and understanding.

Naim - why can't you just post this type of information and settle the waters, it's beyond me. Secondly please ask some of your Beta Testers to stop winding up the situation. They should either not mention they are part of the group or be consistent in what they communicate, instead some of them hyperthetically strut around on here with an elitist attitude that is not good for any business.

Hundreds and hundreds of threads with annoyed consumers could all be avoided. Dr. Wilson, this should be top of your list to eradicate.

I'm sure we will all look forwards to early March.

All the best,

George 

So, the second week in March - by my reckoning, at least- seems to have passed unnoticed by the posters in this thread.

Was this info just unreliable?

It was reliable as the person I spoke with in Naim's tech department. Evidently the Beta testers have gone quiet too - either further problems or it's imminent - BUT in true Naim style, they would rather keep the information internal until they are ready.

Beta testers aren't allowed to say in the public forum anything about what we are doing. It's a condition of being a beta tester. So you shouldn't read into our silence anything except that we are doing what we have been told to do.

I will say that there is lots of testing going on though, so just hang on in there.

best

David

David Hendon posted:

Beta testers aren't allowed to say in the public forum anything about what we are doing. It's a condition of being a beta tester. So you shouldn't read into our silence anything except that we are doing what we have been told to do.

I will say that there is lots of testing going on though, so just hang on in there.

best

David

Thanks David. I, like many just can't understand the closed door policy around this. It's updated s/f/ware not new build so why they can't just indicate it's beyond me.

The thing with Beta testing is that we find things that don’t work, which means that Naim need to fix it with their developers. There is a lot of complexity getting the platforms to work together, with three sets of software - for the new Uniti range, the mu-sos and the other stuff. Then there is the third party stuff with Spotify, Tidal, Google and others. So it’s simply not possible to say ‘it will be next week’, or ‘next month’ because it may well not be. Some things are easy and quick to fix, others are really knotty. As to the closed door policy, it has to be this way. For example, we were testing Tidal long before Naim released the information to the press. For us to have leaked would have caused real commercial issues. So it’s really not that Naim are being awkward, or that the Beta team are holding back juicy titbits of information; it’s simply the way it is and the way it has to be. I hope that helps explain things a little. 

I would like them to get it right that’s the important point,but for the many, many people that have ideas or problems as I have raised before it would help to know that it’s acknowledged. Rather than the same problem being highlighted time and time again

My lesson is get your dealer to sort it out with Naim.

David Hendon posted:

best

David

Tantalising... I hear tell that delayed gratification is better. Let's hope that's true.

It was just announced by Naim : We are pleased to announce that we will shortly be releasing firmware update 2.3.1 for our range of Uniti all-in-one players (Uniti Nova, Uniti Star and Uniti Atom). This firmware update takes the current production code (2.3) and updates the DSP code to fix a known HDMI and S/PDIF audio dropout issue.

A (small) step forward. Hopefully more improvements will be added later. I quite like 'small step approach'. As the firmware can be upgraded over the internet I was always wondering why NAIM is not releasing small upgrades more often instead of waiting for a big release which accumulates many changes. 

Updating the code can have a knock effect as to the sound of the unit, it certainly does the old Uniti series and classic streamers. 

I don't know if the same applies to the new range but if sound quality has to be assessed as well as functional change this impacts the speed that firmware upgrades can be deployed.

My dealer tells me that there is - at last - a major firmware update to be issued next week which facilitates Multiroom between the Unitis and legacy streamers.

Here is what naim have issued to the dealers:

Products to be Updated

Over-the-air (App prompted)

• Mu-so
• Mu-so Qb
• Uniti Nova
• Uniti Star
• Uniti Atom

Manual update (Important: In order for the unit to perform the update it MUST be 24bit/192kHz capable)

• NDS
• NDX
• ND5 XS
• SuperUniti
• NaimUniti
• NaimUniti 2
• UnitiLite
• UnitiQute
• UnitiQute 2
• NAC-N 172 XS
• NAC-N 272

A link to the full details of the update, which includes bug fixes is here (https://resources.naimaudio.co...mp;utm_term=Download)

blag posted:

My dealer tells me that there is - at last - a major firmware update to be issued next week which facilitates Multiroom between the Unitis and legacy streamers.

Here is what naim have issued to the dealers:

Products to be Updated

Over-the-air (App prompted)

• Mu-so
• Mu-so Qb
• Uniti Nova
• Uniti Star
• Uniti Atom

Manual update (Important: In order for the unit to perform the update it MUST be 24bit/192kHz capable)

• NDS
• NDX
• ND5 XS
• SuperUniti
• NaimUniti
• NaimUniti 2
• UnitiLite
• UnitiQute
• UnitiQute 2
• NAC-N 172 XS
• NAC-N 272

A link to the full details of the update, which includes bug fixes is here (https://resources.naimaudio.co...mp;utm_term=Download)

Thanks, Blag.

Likes (1)
Freedomsounds