Statistics

I once did research on the impacts of group size on handling time (how quickly animals eat their food) of goldfish. When I couldn’t prove my theory against the null hypothesis I went to see the maths professor. On his advice I partitioned the variance into linear, quadratic and cubic components and substituted the null hypothesis for the alternative hypothesis and thereby proved by theory and got the paper published. Journal of Fish Biology. Hurrah!

What is the statistic of finding an earth like planet out there that fits our present model.

Much effort has been made recently to find a planet that fits within our own criteria of what constitutes a habitable planet that could support life as we know it.

Who's to say that our relative next door neighbour Jupiter is not some huge gas megatropolis containing some vast gas evolution of life forms, civilisations, architecture and anything else that Quantum consciousness can make out of Hydrogen rather than carbon.

Much like Statistics it's just about us making a bigger picture if us.

Allegedly heard at a fringe meeting during the Labour Party conference last week by a militant union official giving a rousing speech…..

“……So, comrades, we are calling for a National Strike concerning the wages of ALL workers in the UK, not just union members, but ALL workers. And we shall remain on strike, until our demands are met…….that the wage of every worker in this great country of ours, is above the national average !”

Don Atkinson posted:
Mulberry posted:
Mike-B posted:

50% of the human population are below average 

Not perfectly true. Some people are average and only the remaining part of the population are either above or below average, which means both groups a smaller than 50%. 

Brilliant

That would depend on the points system you used to grade people. On a crude scoring system of, say, 1 to 10, lots of people would probably get an average score. With a high res scoring system of, say, 1 to 7.5 billion, chances are that nobody at all would be average.

rodwsmith posted:

If the chances of there being a bomb on a plane are 10,000 to 1, then the chances of there being two bombs on the plane are 20,000 to 1.

Simply take a bomb with you - and halve the chances of someone else blowing you up.

That's probability, not statistics. On top of that the probability of two bombs, assuming the chance is truely random, would be 100000000:1. Of 100000000 planes 9999 would have one bomb  and 1 would have two bombs. Not to wory, most bombs on planes belong to the military that operate them, which would imply their presence is rather less random and two bombs probably quite common.

Don Atkinson posted:

Allegedly heard at a fringe meeting during the Labour Party conference last week by a militant union official giving a rousing speech…..

“……So, comrades, we are calling for a National Strike concerning the wages of ALL workers in the UK, not just union members, but ALL workers. And we shall remain on strike, until our demands are met…….that the wage of every worker in this great country of ours, is above the national average !”

Well, although it's unlikely, it would be possible to get everyone above the current national average, I suppose.

ChrisSU posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
Mulberry posted:
Mike-B posted:

50% of the human population are below average 

Not perfectly true. Some people are average and only the remaining part of the population are either above or below average, which means both groups a smaller than 50%. 

Brilliant

That would depend on the points system you used to grade people. On a crude scoring system of, say, 1 to 10, lots of people would probably get an average score. With a high res scoring system of, say, 1 to 7.5 billion, chances are that nobody at all would be average.

Quite true. Depending on how you define average, only odd numbers of people would have an average person among them and even-numbered groups the 50/50 split.

Add Reply

Likes (0)