Synergistic Research Plug Fuse

Mu-So is a great little box but I’m not being facetious when I say that it doesn’t really do most of what the SR fuse will enhance. You’re probably better off spending your money on enhancing your network connection. For example, if you use a standard ISP provided router, buy yourself a better quality router and use the ISP unit in modem mode.  

The biggest SQ difference I achieved  with my Mu-So was using a streaming app in Native mode vs via Bluetooth or AirPlay.  Also, placing the Mu-So in a room corner and switching on ‘near wall mode’ will really help you achieve articulate bass. 

Brian H posted:

I am new to the world of Naim ownership and enjoyment having bought a MU-so qB last week. Not sure if it is burning in or I am getting used to it and trying various options.

As the MU-so is a figure 8 mains cable there is no Naim option to enhance the mains cabling. Do any of the fuse hearers think a SR fuse is likely to offer an audible change in the MU-so world? I am not rushing to try one as they are about 20% of the cost of the MU-so but in time curiosity might surface, lotto may surprise. I must confess that my knowledge of Physics stops at A level but I would be struggling to explain how a fuse could affect the sound. I have always been sceptical of magic.

An interesting thread nevertheless

For the price of a SR fuse you can get the excellent Nordost Purple Flare figure 8 mains cable.  Will tidy up the sound and looks great if using the Muso in a high eye traffic area.

I was experimenting with my muso QB a while back by swapping around the position of the figure 8 connector, hard to tell but I think it did sound slightly better one way than the other, unfortunately it was kids coming home from school time, which ended my quiet listening session and I’ve never tried it again, I might have another try with my big muso in another room.

Talking of MuSo’s my wife entered a Naim Audio competition on Facebook, To celebrate the launch of the champagne edition muso, she only went and won it!!

The prize was two tickets to any show at the Royal Albert Hall, plus a bottle of fizz to drink while your there 👍

So big thankyou to Naim who have got us tickets to watch Cirque Du Soliel in January.

anyway, back on track, I’m still undecided about the blue fuse, I’m going to leave the Nova running most of tomorrow and the weekend, on Sunday, I’ll swap back to standard fuse, see if I notice a difference,

Ok so this morning, I tried my blue fuse the other way around, I couldn’t really hear much difference so I removed it and put the original 13amp fuse in the powerline lites plugtop, I was listening to the “Bothers In Arms” Album on vinyl.

At first I wasn’t convinced that there was much difference, but after a few minuites listening, and especially during the start of “Money for Nothing” I noticed something was lacking, it’s just wasn’t as open and dynamic as it normally is, so I put the little blue fuse back in and there it was, more open and more dynamic again. just as I had hoped.

I can compare difference it makes as almost as much a difference, adding a half decent phono stage to a cheap turntable, I have a £199 Audio Technica AT-LP3 which has its own phono stage, I also have the Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Stage, also £199, last week I was experimenting with having the turntables own phono stage connected directly to the Nova, then with the Rega inline.

On its own the turntable was ok but not exciting to listlen to, with the Rega it it became much more dynamic and musical.

So as much I was considering sending this fuse back and thinking what else I could do with money it cost, it’s going to stay, strange how sometimes you don’t notice an improvement, until you get used to it and go back a step.

Anavrin posted:

I’’ve looked at the MIG 2.0 supports, I’m sure they work but it not sure I’d pay the price for them.

Obsydian- Have you got a set?

Might try an find some hollow, half ball bearings for a fraction of the cost.

Yes, I had them on demo and returned them say in little to marginal gain. I didn't go back an forth really.

Anyway after posting them back, listening to my system I realised how good they where and quickly ordered a set, they won't be going anywhere.

The combined effect is pretty amazing.

Obsydian posted:
Anavrin posted:

I’’ve looked at the MIG 2.0 supports, I’m sure they work but it not sure I’d pay the price for them.

Obsydian- Have you got a set?

Might try an find some hollow, half ball bearings for a fraction of the cost.

Yes, I had them on demo and returned them say in little to marginal gain. I didn't go back an forth really.

Anyway after posting them back, listening to my system I realised how good they where and quickly ordered a set, they won't be going anywhere.

The combined effect is pretty amazing.

How have you finalised the set up ? Two up and one down ? One up and two down ? Three up ? Three down ?  Two at the front, one at the back ? One at the front and two at the back ? Maybe one off centre at the front and one under the transformer, and one under the output devices ? Facing up under the transformer or down ? Facing down under the heaviest section or up ? How did you reach these conclusions ?

TOBYJUG posted:

Thinking I might take a pop on those AMR gold 13a fuses. Three for £45 to replace those in my Nordost, which I believe uses basic Furutech.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/user/products/1332951464_Fuses_1_w450_h400.gif

Yes. Been a while with these in.

A few little ups and downs, but now cooking. Like having a steak done just right - and a very good steak with taste and juice as it should be.   Yum

I’ve gone back to my powerline lite with the blue fuse, I had it in a custom Belden cable but I’m thinking the same as Obsydian that the original Naim cable it best, even though apart from the plugtop, it’s just a standard flex cable.

Ive just ordered one of the Gold HiFi tuning fuse’s for £35, with a few decent reviews it’s worth a pop, the symbol on it is a diode with a capacitor across it, this circuit would block DC signals but allow AC to pass provided it was connected the right way around.

Maybe worth another x-ray!

ANAVRIN - I am awaiting (stuck in UK customs) an SR Atmosphere Power cable to replace my Chord Signature Aray, will report back soon.

So you have stopped using the SR blue or just your Belden ?

I found the Belden on the Naim not to my liking and preferred the Powerline, but prefer the Chord Power over that easily, just need to see what the SR power cable can do.

I think the xray will show no more than a wire.

Anavrin posted:

I’ve gone back to my powerline lite with the blue fuse, I had it in a custom Belden cable but I’m thinking the same as Obsydian that the original Naim cable it best, even though apart from the plugtop, it’s just a standard flex cable.

Ive just ordered one of the Gold HiFi tuning fuse’s for £35, with a few decent reviews it’s worth a pop, the symbol on it is a diode with a capacitor across it, this circuit would block DC signals but allow AC to pass provided it was connected the right way around.

A single diode will only block DC of one polarity (or short one polarity if across the conductors not in series). A small capacitor would need to be high value (=far larger than a fuse) to pass AC at 50/60Hz if in series, alternatively if across the condictors a small one will short RF.

Anavrin posted:

The symbols shown on the fuse are just the logo of the manufacturer, not showing what is inside.

As before, it's just a simple (albeit expensive) fuse.

Well I left work early as Post Office advised SR Power cord here, come pay the customs charge , I did intend writing a dedicated thread, but ...

My £1000 cable came fitted with a top end plug, yes real top end pound shop, Masterplug £1.49 !!!

On top of that the impressive, bulky and very substantial cable, the USA technician heat shrunk over part of the plug, meaning it would not even seat properly, fortunately I managed to cut some it away.

Cable is otherwise VERY impressive, sound is a major shift, hard to pin point as so much has changed, for the better. Noise floor is pitch black, I'm keeping the same volume level to be fair, but in time needs to go up a few notches.

Will I keep it, I doubt it, damn shame.

@Obsydian

what do you mean when you say your impressed with it but you won’t keep it?

its good but not £1000 good?

Problem is you’ve heard it now and it’ll be hard to go back!!!

The Americans probably don’t care much for uk plugs so any will do in their eyes, have you had a look inside the plug, any tweaks you can see in there? I’ve seen some secret added bits in my MCRU cables.

Anavrin posted:

The Americans probably don’t care much for uk plugs so any will do in their eyes, have you had a look inside the plug, any tweaks you can see in there? I’ve seen some secret added bits in my MCRU cables.

Look inside an American plug  & a European "Schuko" & all I see is wires & terminals,  some are even soldered,  & not a fuse in sight anywhere - whoopee doo 

Anavrin posted:

@Obsydian

what do you mean when you say your impressed with it but you won’t keep it?

its good but not £1000 good?

Problem is you’ve heard it now and it’ll be hard to go back!!!

I am torn as i left the SR PC (Power Cable) running and even after 4hrs the amount of detail, soundstage, noise floor, clarity is alarming, bass is all over the place, it appears to be a similar but more extreme break in as the SR Blue Plug Fuse.

One other concern is the PC is like a damn python, at 1.5m and ~30mm thick it is impressive, but going into a standard MasterPlug just looks and is wrong. Interestingly i had to open the plug to cut the heat shrink away and insert my SR Blue fuse, yes it is a basic plug, but each wire feeding in is substantial and near the grub screws i can see the graphene coating. The PC i bought is pretty much graphene on each wire and all connections, then also around the python like shield (overcoat).

i decided to contact SR direct to resolve, as i feel the cable is a keeper and my intention is to find a resolution, then in a few months also upgrade to their Ethernet cable.

Bottom line dealer is SUPERB, he said even before all of this, IF you demo and dislike send it back no problem.

I whileback i compared my Chord Signature PC to the Sarum, it was VERY good but nearly £2k, wasn't in my system but an A-B-A in a similar Naim system, there was no dealer anywhere willing to loan or a free trial. For me you only give a money back guarantee when you are confident.

Reason for mentioning this, the SR Atmosphere PC is in a totally different league to the Chord Signature and Sarum.

dknk posted:

I'm sorry but this thread is hilarious, are the two main posters really serious with all this "magic" stuff? Is this real? or are they having a laugh...

I find it a useful warning of the dangers of seeking tweaks that others do not find a tweak. I observe similar behaviour of small numbers in other forums. Sociologists will have a word for it.

My DAC developed a fault and I blew 2 fuses in the process of trying to find out why. I had to buy replacements so imagine the cost at the level of these fuses. I could end up homeless and on the streets.

Don’t know how lucky they are

Brian H posted:
dknk posted:

I'm sorry but this thread is hilarious, are the two main posters really serious with all this "magic" stuff? Is this real? or are they having a laugh...

I find it a useful warning of the dangers of seeking tweaks that others do not find a tweak. I observe similar behaviour of small numbers in other forums. Sociologists will have a word for it.

My DAC developed a fault and I blew 2 fuses in the process of trying to find out why. I had to buy replacements so imagine the cost at the level of these fuses. I could end up homeless and on the streets.

Brian, I assume that would have been the fuses inside the equipment.  Such things are not being discussed here - for safety as well as performance reasons they should only ever be replaced exactly like for like.

dknk posted:

Hi dknk 

I got interested in this thread after doing a little research and wondering how on earth can a plugtop fuse be worth £130!!

Sounds crazy I know but I bought one anyway, fully expecting to send it back but it proved it’s worth, when I removed it, the sound of my system changed for the worse, I put it back and It sounded good again.

Im more interested in the broader picture of both mains leads and the fuse’s, there is a genuine sonic benifit by upgrading the last 2m of wire suppling your system, Naim themselfs will sell you a 2m powerline mains lead for £599 and it accepted by many here that it improves the sound quality of your system.

Im just keeping an open mind and experimenting where I can afford to, which so far it just a couple of fuse’s and a fairly inexpensive aftermarket mains lead, however I’ve gone back to the powerline lite supplied with my Nova.

Day two the SR Atmosphere power cable, even with a £1.5 Masterplug if transforming my Nova.

I had to reposition things as the power cable is like a python, but difficult to do as my Naim speaker plugs/cable touch the shelf.

I am awaiting SR to respond, superb dealer said immediately if your not happy return for a full refund, but this is a once you've heard it, you can't do without it.

Richard Dane posted:
Brian H posted:
dknk posted:

Brian, I assume that would have been the fuses inside the equipment.  Such things are not being discussed here - for safety as well as performance reasons they should only ever be replaced exactly like for like.

Richard

You are correct it was the fuse within my equipment. What I was attempting to introduce was the possibility of an expensive fuse acutally having to be a fuse, blow and incurring a significant expense in a replacement. I trust it is acceptable to mention the cost and it’s purpose? Or should I have simply said - if that fuse does blow it will be expensive, as it would.

As it was I felt no curiosity to try any audiophile fuses as enthused over here by a few. Despite Maplins closing I was able to get 3 T2A at 20p each with hours, within half a mile for which I was most grateful.

My Naim gear, MU-So, uses figure of eight cable so I cannot even experiment with an approved enhanced mains cable. 

Got the HiFi fuse today, I’ve no idea how these little one inch bits of tiny wire work in terms of improving sound quality but somehow it does!

Its not like the blue fuse, which takes time to run in, this is an instant improvement in sound quality.

let me explain my setup, I have a custom made but relatively cheap 6 way extension lead with the SR Blue Fuse in its plugtop, All my Equipment is plugged into this block, I’ve now installed the HiFi tuning fuse in the Nova’s plugtop, which is plugged into a the extension.

I noticed an immediate improvement in sound quality, not like the SR Blue fuse which took time to run in, there’s an instant improvement in both timing and tightness of the music, A major PRaT upgrade in one very cheap (£35) pop!

I have a Nova, so only one black box, if I had more, I wouldn’t hesitate in buying more of these fuse’s. 

Pound for pound this upgrade is cheap but very cheerful recommended 👍

hungryhalibut posted:

Brian, you too can play...

[Pic gone]

Thanks for the thought and suggestion. Surely that isn’t a Naim creation or even modification. I saw a certain vendor who focused on Mains things from the start offered a fig 8 jobbie but only for Sky boxes, so no use. Ideally I could do with a bit longer mains wire.

No I have enough in the PRAT dept so do not seek the benefits our two fuse fans speak about. Too much PRaT may be OTT.

I await the considerations of someone(s) who understands electro-metallurgical science and their reasons why our fuse fans experience what they do.

OBSYDIAN

Yes I am aware of the possibilty of using that vendors products and I see Tesco offer one at a significant saving. I think I will see if I have a long enough substantial kettle lead and swap the IEC for a fig 8 plug.

Enjoy your fuse fun. I could never hear what you do.

Add Reply