System Pics 2017

varyat posted:

Thanks Haim. Ken and John usually put together kit that the masses will find interesting. How did the 100 drive those Proacs?

Varyat,

The Nap 100 drove the D30s with ease, producing a dynamic and rich sound  that filled the room properly, and by that I mean loud enough but not ear shattering where anyway the music deconstructs itself. The material though was not too demanding, male voice and a small ensemble of guitar and percussions. My general impression was that the system could play substantially louder than my 30 Watts Nait driving floor standing Proacs 1.5. 

I did not stay long enough to hear the larger system though I had previously a chance to listen in their store to the Nap 100 playing with a 272 and a Unity Core through stand mounts Tabellettes 10. That was clearly a winning combination for a small room.

Haim

Haim,

thanks for that insight. Well now you know I have to ask about the Tablette 10"s . I am very curious about these speakers and have been looking forward to hearing them- good to know that ProMusica has them on demo. Any chance you could elaborate on your session with them please?

ATB,

Mark

varyat posted:

Haim,

thanks for that insight. Well now you know I have to ask about the Tablette 10"s . I am very curious about these speakers and have been looking forward to hearing them- good to know that ProMusica has them on demo. Any chance you could elaborate on your session with them please?

ATB,

Mark

Mark,

I think you are asking the wrong guy for two reasons. First, I am biased. Always liked the Proac sound and that's all we had at home for the last 17 years. Second, I am very easy to please, never believed in splitting audio hairs. So as long as the music flows and sounds fundamentally right I am happy.

I will be brief since we are off topic here. Ken played through the Core a digital recording he had made in Norway of Grieg's first piano concerto. The music through the 10s, the 272 and Nap 100 sounded spectacular, unstrained, fast and very real. We are talking master tape material here so no surprise that it was so impressive. Then we played some of my jazz CDs which sounded a little warmer than I am used to (could be the Nap 100 doings) but that was fine with me. Personally, I liked the 10s very much but you will have to rely on your own ears.

Haim

varyat posted:

Haim,

ATB,

Mark

I will post some pictures to conform with the system pics thread but I have just purchased a pair of Proac Tablette 10 to go with my 272/100. The Tabs are an amazing speaker, top end and mid range is the best I have heard and with the right placement more than enough bass for my room.

100 drives these tabs with ease and no plans to replace the 100 for a bigger Naim amp as this may alter the superb sound that's filling the room.

Bodger posted:

Some recent changes to get to the end game. The 552 in place, but with old 300 as the first games changer:

Then the big boy 500 arrives - lots of faffing with shelves ahead:

Final installment from a few weeks ago:

That's all folks.

Dave

Hi Bodger,

Impressive set-up bud.

Realise this thread is primarily for system pics. but, if you'd humour me(?), i'd be particularly interested to know your thoughts of the B&W D800 series D3's compared to the D2's & whether you've had any room integration issues?

Congrats on the blinding system.

Best regards.

Bobby.

"I am very easy to please, never believed in splitting audio hairs. So as long as the music flows and sounds fundamentally right I am happy."

Haim, that kind of talk could get you moderated, if not outright banned! (Anything more and you will be burned at the stake..such heresy will not be tolerated.) 

Please exercise more caution in the future!

The treat is the Furutech fig. 8 plug, which is on the end of a Powerline Lite, to replace the plastic IEC to fig. 8 adaptor I was using previously. The Cinnamon has been there for a good while. 

And yes, I did clean the cables! And the worktop - nobody at the stone supplier told me that very dark granite is somewhat challenging to keep clean. 

stuart.ashen posted:

Cracking looking system Ken. Always thought olives and blacks sat well together.

Stu

thanks Stu. if there was an Olive Superline, then that let rack could be all Olive -- but to be honest,  i am not really bothered about mix and match.

whats shocking me right now is how good the 52 is driving the 2xNAP500DR.

before i deployed it, i suspected this lesser pre-amp would result in a totally unbalanced mallet system but i couldn't have been more wrong.  i actually sense its bringing out in a more obvious manner the benefits of the other prior upgrades -- SL IC for NDS, SL snaxo snaic and of course, the mighty NAP500DR upgrades.

Oh my...

enjoy

ken

ekfc63 posted:

Ken,

Nice pile(s).

You must have a very understanding Mrs....

system is in my office and so away from normal "domestic" space. 

the Mrs (that's her photo in the leftmost rack) unfortunately lost a battle with cancer a few year ago. fortunately when she was around, she actually also enjoyed the system music whenever she had time to sit down and listen -- but you could say she was "long-suffering" rather than "understanding", especially whenever i "upgraded".

Now my daughter is the new "boss" now... :-)

enjoy...

ken

A bit of a change,  any thoughts of an NDS have been put on hold.

The Mk 2 Rock with Aro is retired, at least for the moment so out with steel and plaster:

and in with the bamboo and ebony:

Artemis SA-1 and Schröder Reference (with BNC connectors)

Still finding my way around the arm settings with the added adjustment of the magnetic gap but it's easier than setting a sKale properly.

Thanks guys and they sound superb and a great match for Naim amps.

Always prefer speakers to be out of the way the AE301 I had before were designed to go close to the wall with front facing port but I had them out by ten inches as they boomed a bit if I pushed them back, the Proacs couple of inches but what a lift in quality.

That's it now for me regarding upgrades may look for a used XPS2DR next year but for now love the 272/100 as is

badlands posted:
spurrier sucks posted:

Dynaudio Contour C20 in walnut. Not pictured are the green lights of my 272/XPS DR/250 DR. 

I was curious of what your thoughts are about the new Dyns?

A bit different from my Scansonic MB 2.5. Bass is tighter, not as exaggerated. That's a good thing I believe. Very smooth sounding. Not harsh in any way. I haven't had much time with them but so far so good. It seems they like to have the volume turned up to get going. 

yeti42 posted:

A bit of a change,  any thoughts of an NDS have been put on hold.

The Mk 2 Rock with Aro is retired, at least for the moment so out with steel and plaster:

and in with the bamboo and ebony:

Artemis SA-1 and Schröder Reference (with BNC connectors)

Still finding my way around the arm settings with the added adjustment of the magnetic gap but it's easier than setting a sKale properly.

How does the Artemis/Schroeder combo sound? And impression already ? 

hi,

As compared to last year, the large TV in between the speakers is gone and so is the 2 inch thick wooden paneling on which the TV hung. In its place is a large canvas painting..

The Naim CD5XS is gone but the Naim Nait 5i-2 ... the li'l green eyed monster  .....still going strong

here is my setup..

Technics SL1210Mk2 + Lehmann Audio SE2 PWX Phono + Denon DL103
Philips CD 750
Naim Nait 5i-2
Naim Naca 5
Merlin TSM MMM BME on stands
DiY Sealed sub ( Dayton RSS 265 driver + Hypex DS4.0 plate amp )
VDH interconnects from CDP to Naim Nait 5i-2
Belden 8402 interconnects from Lehmann Phono to Naim nait 5i-2

its quite an enjoyable setup and i have lots of music as well.

thanks for watching..

mpw

Still setting the arm up but 2 days ago It hit a sweet spot, I haven't found out how wide it is as I don't want to fiddle with the setup now I've landed on it. I don't know if the thread has finished stretching but after 2 1/2 weeks it seems to be just about done. I've used a piece of business card as a feeler guage to set the magnetic gap and the VTA is set by ear listening to the emotion in Leontyne Prices voice  in a set of Puccini arias (I was using a setup guide from Vacuum State that suggests listening for tightest focus of a female voice across her bynamic range on a mono recording but the varying level of emotion as I changed VTA seemed too good a clue to ignore) VTF is roughly at the recommended 2g for the Proteus (the reading seems to take a while to settle drifting upwards by about 0.04g over a couple of minutes) and this is the adjustment that found the sweet spot, the azimuth is only nearly right so far.

I'm getting better musical flow than from the Rock/Aro which was already strong in that area (enough to see off a Versalex). The sense of scale seems better though I think the NBLs are limiting that somewhat. Hitting that sweet spot the music's come alive, I can hear the Quartetto Italiano enjoying them selves with Beethoven's op18 no 2, Evelyne Crochet has a certain impishness in a Faurré bagatelle (despite the rubbish condition of my copy), Richard Thompson Across a Crowded Room is intense and makes the feet restless. 

I've no regrets about diverting my NDS fund to this TT and arm even if I have to use a Rega DAC on my Core for a few years (The Belken 1694A cable helps liven that up a bit and so did their 4794R).

Artferg20 posted:
HiFiman posted:

As promised a few days ago Proac Tablette 10s and pals

HM,

What's ts the Proac's sound signature like? I'm currently looking at small stand mounts for my SN2 that work close to the wall.

Thx

For me the Proac's strength is the top end and mid range uncoloured and natural a perfect match for Naim electronics, easy to drive and enough bass for my room.

The speakers just disappear and have an amazing sound stage, also female voices come across very natural and after very long listening sessions no fatigue.

Late night listening is a joy and all the detail is there at low volumes and don't wake up the house but don't get me wrong once the volume is cranked up these babies can rock and put out bass that is hard to believe from such a small speaker.

My guess they would be a perfect match for the SN2 any chance you can audition a pair?

HiFiman posted:
Artferg20 posted:
HiFiman posted:

As promised a few days ago Proac Tablette 10s and pals

HM,

What's ts the Proac's sound signature like? I'm currently looking at small stand mounts for my SN2 that work close to the wall.

Thx

For me the Proac's strength is the top end and mid range uncoloured and natural a perfect match for Naim electronics, easy to drive and enough bass for my room.

The speakers just disappear and have an amazing sound stage, also female voices come across very natural and after very long listening sessions no fatigue.

Late night listening is a joy and all the detail is there at low volumes and don't wake up the house but don't get me wrong once the volume is cranked up these babies can rock and put out bass that is hard to believe from such a small speaker.

My guess they would be a perfect match for the SN2 any chance you can audition a pair?

I've been looking at dealers close to Hertfordshire, nearest is Birmingham.

I'll find out if a home demo is possible. From what I've read & various feedback from end users

they sound like a strong candidates.

thx 

yeti42 posted:

Still setting the arm up but 2 days ago It hit a sweet spot, I haven't found out how wide it is as I don't want to fiddle with the setup now I've landed on it. I don't know if the thread has finished stretching but after 2 1/2 weeks it seems to be just about done. I've used a piece of business card as a feeler guage to set the magnetic gap and the VTA is set by ear listening to the emotion in Leontyne Prices voice  in a set of Puccini arias (I was using a setup guide from Vacuum State that suggests listening for tightest focus of a female voice across her bynamic range on a mono recording but the varying level of emotion as I changed VTA seemed too good a clue to ignore) VTF is roughly at the recommended 2g for the Proteus (the reading seems to take a while to settle drifting upwards by about 0.04g over a couple of minutes) and this is the adjustment that found the sweet spot, the azimuth is only nearly right so far.

I'm getting better musical flow than from the Rock/Aro which was already strong in that area (enough to see off a Versalex). The sense of scale seems better though I think the NBLs are limiting that somewhat. Hitting that sweet spot the music's come alive, I can hear the Quartetto Italiano enjoying them selves with Beethoven's op18 no 2, Evelyne Crochet has a certain impishness in a Faurré bagatelle (despite the rubbish condition of my copy), Richard Thompson Across a Crowded Room is intense and makes the feet restless. 

I've no regrets about diverting my NDS fund to this TT and arm even if I have to use a Rega DAC on my Core for a few years (The Belken 1694A cable helps liven that up a bit and so did their 4794R).

Thank you for the report Yeti. Sounds exciting. So you have decided to buy it ? I will swap my cartridge om my Schroeder soon, but then it is just a No 2 arm on a dps3. Could you hear the difference by adjusting the VTA cleraly ? Good luck in Nirvana . Beautiful TT