System Pics 2017

MDS posted:
tonym posted:

My trusty old pair of SBLs.

Also nice to see speakers that are happy close to the rear wall.  Give domestic constraints in may homes I would have thought more speaker manufactures would design for that and make a virtue of it in their marketing.

Indeed, it is a real shame. I understand it's quite a challenge to design a speaker that's meant to be close to a wall, but it sure would make life easier for most of us.

DrMark posted:

What factors play into speaker design that permit close wall placement?

Offhand I can imagine that a rear-firing port would be a no go for near wall placement, but what else, if anyone has that info.

Yes, ports (especially rear facing ones, obviously) are generally absent from wall-proximate speakers. The wall-proximate speakers tend to have naturally less bass in the way they are built and eq'ed, relying instead on reinforcement from the wall to bring the frequency response into balance. I imagine there are also phase issues to address with low frequency sounds coming significantly from reflections.

Proximity to the wall is nature's eq. If your bass is too heavy or boomy, bring the speakers into the room a bit. If too light, push them back. My S600s, while not strictly wall-proximate design, are quite sensitive to this, with a narrow sweet spot between too light and too heavy/boomy.

winkyincanada posted:

Proximity to the wall is nature's eq. If your bass is too heavy or boomy, bring the speakers into the room a bit. If too light, push them back. My S600s, while not strictly wall-proximate design, are quite sensitive to this, with a narrow sweet spot between too light and too heavy/boomy.

Could you share how far from the rear wall you find the S600 are at there best ?

Thanks

Rob

Mort2k posted:
winkyincanada posted:

Could you share how far from the rear wall you find the S600 are at there best ?

Thanks

Rob

They're 300mm from the wall. Slightly toed in. The wall has some windows.

winkyincanada posted:
Mort2k posted:
winkyincanada posted:

Thanks

Rob

They're 300mm from the wall. Slightly toed in. The wall has some windows.

Thanks 

HiFiman posted:

Mort2k nice looking SBLs, I seem to recall are these the SBLs that were originally black then stripped back to this amazing finish?

Correct a good friend of mine is a superb joiner and did the SBL ‘a into this lovely Oak finish. One of a kind !

Bryce Curdy posted:

Could somebody please advise how to post photos rather than just links.  I am trying to use Imgur but don't mind a different free photo sharing service but not Photobucket which I think is horrible to use (the free version anyway).

See FAQ .......... https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...web-into-your-post-1

Imgur is a probably the most popular image service on the forum since PhotoBucket went antisocial 

Bryce Curdy posted:

Could somebody please advise how to post photos rather than just links.  I am trying to use Imgur but don't mind a different free photo sharing service but not Photobucket which I think is horrible to use (the free version anyway).

Copy the ‘direct’ link in Imgur, and paste it into the ‘source’ box in ‘insert/edit image’. The same as it was for Photobucket, but for me, Imgur seems to work more reliably. 

https://i.imgur.com/qh2WPK6.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/8GQ9and.jpg

A hybrid Hi-Fi and Home Cinema room using the Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition as the front channels for a Dolby Atmos 7.4.1 system.  Hi-Fi is CD555, 555PSDR, NAC552DR and NAP300DR.  There is also a Rega Planar 3 TT.  Mains cables, interconnects and speaker cable are Chord Sarum T.

The display is a 75 inch HDR Sony with Sky Q, Oppo 203 4K Blu-ray player, Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV inputs via Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor.  Home Cinema amp is Arcam 840 with Arcam P429 (4 channel power amplifier for the Atmos channels).  Lighting is 16 Philips Hue GU10s (explaining the purple effect) and remote control is Control4 network controller.

The film posters including the Italian version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly are original.  Settee is BoConcept, media storage is Neville Johnson and coffee table is Noguchi (John Lewis). 

EDIT - Thanks Mike and Chris for link and advice.

Mort2k posted:

Morning All. Couple of pictures of the system as it stands. 2017 has brought Fraim and NDX both being a huge step forward and amazing additions. 

Festive addition to the rack 

Thanks for looking

Rob

I realise I’m just repeating what everyone else has said, but I have to say it: those are stunning SBLs. 

As an aside, I wonder where the SBL sits in the list of Naim speaker sales volumes? It must have been the most successful. A design classic. 

Stevee_S posted:
Eoink posted:

PMC Twenty5.23s fed by a Nova, sounding excellent after a few weeks of running in, they look pretty lovely as well, the Nova is stylish and the PMCs look classy.

Really liking the look of that set up Eoink, congratulations. 

Thanks Stevee (and the other people who said nice things). 

Stevee_S posted:
Eoink posted:

PMC Twenty5.23s fed by a Nova, sounding excellent after a few weeks of running in, they look pretty lovely as well, the Nova is stylish and the PMCs look classy.

Really liking the look of that set up Eoink, congratulations. 

Lovely system Eoink, one very small tweak could be to maybe put Naim glass, cups and balls under the Nova.

Eoink posted:

Looks nice. The one thing in this setup I don’t understand is that you have the Nova on the left. While you could create a wider spread of the PMC’s by putting it in the middle. I would suspect your sound would improve...

Bert Schurink posted:
Eoink posted:

Looks nice. The one thing in this setup I don’t understand is that you have the Nova on the left. While you could create a wider spread of the PMC’s by putting it in the middle. I would suspect your sound would improve...

Even better... Naim need a “wall Fraim” (in two sizes) .

Mort2k posted:

Morning All. Couple of pictures of the system as it stands. 2017 has brought Fraim and NDX both being a huge step forward and amazing additions. 

<...Correct a good friend of mine is a superb joiner and did the SBL ‘a into this lovely Oak finish. One of a kind ! ...>

Rob

Fantastic choice of woodstain and very clever conversion!

I had no idea ash could look so much like oak given the colour tone.

Which year do these SBLs hail from?

Debs

This is how it looks here at the moment. Going through The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961 with Bill Evans. Perfect music for a lazy sunday. Sold my Rega RP6 and got a Kuzma Stabi S with Stogi S 12 VTA arm. PU is an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II. Plays with a lot of involvement in the music. 

naim_nymph posted:
Mort2k posted:

<...Correct a good friend of mine is a superb joiner and did the SBL ‘a into this lovely Oak finish. One of a kind ! ...>

Rob

Fantastic choice of woodstain and very clever conversion!

I had no idea ash could look so much like oak given the colour tone.

Which year do these SBLs hail from?

Debs

Debs

The work involved new oak vaneer and a careful staining. The SBL are original mark1 that werer upgraded to mark2 by naim.

Rob

Mort2k posted:

Debs

The work involved new oak vaneer and a careful staining. The SBL are original mark1 that werer upgraded to mark2 by naim.

Rob

Very nice joinery job!

I wonder how it may [or may not] affect the performance of the SBLs (?)

Hope they perform as nice as they look : )

naim_nymph posted:
Mort2k posted:

Debs

Rob

Very nice joinery job!

I wonder how it may [or may not] affect the performance of the SBLs (?)

Hope they perform as nice as they look : )

Hi

The work on the SBL has no noticeable effect on the sound at all, which was as hoped !

as for sound I will update my thread later tonight following a weekend of testing Active  

rob

Mort2k posted:

Festive addition to the rack 

Thanks for looking

Rob

Hi Rob,

I assume you removed the speakers from their cabinets. Did you find the foam behind the mid/bass units had disintegrated and was falling into the "filter"? I had to get the drawing and specification of the foam from Naim as they didn't have any.  Trying to find the correct type was very time consuming especially as I was evaluating a 252 at the time.

Tony

Chalshus posted:

This is how it looks here at the moment. Going through The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961 with Bill Evans. Perfect music for a lazy sunday. Sold my Rega RP6 and got a Kuzma Stabi S with Stogi S 12 VTA arm. PU is an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II. Plays with a lot of involvement in the music. 

Nice.  I'd love a ride on that magic carpet.

Mort2k posted:

That soundbar must have an inferiority complex. Poor thing.

Don't the SBLs boom being so close to the wall? Does the left one disperse well over your sofa?