System Pics 2018

ChrisH posted:

I received my additional shelf from Austria the other day, so I had a fun time stripping and cleaning the system and putting it back together again. Its a damn sight easier dressing cables with a bit more height though...

Sounds great, even our cat seems to be enjoying Black Sabbath, looking very curiously at the fine sound emanating from the speakers!

IMG_20180503_192216IMG_20180503_192339

Hopefully I managed to add the photos this time! Thanks for the heads up @MDS.

Attachments

Photos (2)
Hungryhalibut posted:

The speakers are 9cm from the wall (cabinet to wall) which is the closest they can be while using SL cables. It’s the same distance they were when using NACA5. The distance between them (the wider wood parts) is 163cm. When I had SL2s previously I had them closer together, but this seems to work fine. The room is only 3.6m wide. 

Thanks HH, maybtry mine a tad closer together. 

Prob 

ChrisH posted:
ChrisH posted:

I received my additional shelf from Austria the other day, so I had a fun time stripping and cleaning the system and putting it back together again. Its a damn sight easier dressing cables with a bit more height though...

Sounds great, even our cat seems to be enjoying Black Sabbath, looking very curiously at the fine sound emanating from the speakers!

IMG_20180503_192216IMG_20180503_192339

Hopefully I managed to add the photos this time! Thanks for the heads up @MDS.

Very nice Chris and a lovely room too.

ChrisH posted:

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I'm really happy with it. A big part of the reason the set up looks like it does is down to some of the great advice and guidance I've received from Forum members over the years, so thanks to this place!

Hi Chris - the Hutter looks good! I've emailed you (btinternet address) about sourcing the additional shelf as I need to add to my Hutter rack and there no longer seems to be a UK distributor.

Thanks, Clive

Thanks Eoink.  Sorry I don't seem to be able to add picture correctly despite following advice in FAQ's.  Technology and being old eh?  One day I will get the 135's or a 300.  Do you not fancy the 52?  Probably one of my best upgrades from an 82 and two Hi Caps previously

nicnaim posted:

Thanks Eoink.  Sorry I don't seem to be able to add picture correctly despite following advice in FAQ's.  Technology and being old eh?  One day I will get the 135's or a 300.  Do you not fancy the 52?  Probably one of my best upgrades from an 82 and two Hi Caps previously

Select each picture individually on Imgur in turn, you should have a link at the top saying Link and a URL. Select Direct Link from the link dropdown, that should then give you a URL ending .jpg. In your reply window, click on the little mountain picture on the top line (2 to the left of the smiley), and put the URL into the Source box in the popup.

I stabilised my amps back 25 years ago, because I was enjoying the music so much that I didn't see the value in buying anything better, I cracked a few months ago and swapped my Hicap for a Supercap, so I can see the 52 might happen if I'm not careful. I do love the music I play every night, so I don't really need an upgrade.

Stover posted:

I know, but there's no hurry. Pu purchase needed and some Origin tonearm tools, in progress. Could not resist the 555 and it`s amazing as you know.

You need plutonium for the platter? Gosh. Where does one buy that?

Lovely room though. I’ve a feeling I’ll end up with  BBC-style speakers with my 272 etc too, though in a slightly less photogenic environment.

And you’re in Trondheim? Nice town, I’ve really enjoyed my brief times there.

Dave***t posted:
Stover posted:

I know, but there's no hurry. Pu purchase needed and some Origin tonearm tools, in progress. Could not resist the 555 and it`s amazing as you know.

You need plutonium for the platter? Gosh. Where does one buy that?

Lovely room though. I’ve a feeling I’ll end up with  BBC-style speakers with my 272 etc too, though in a slightly less photogenic environment.

And you’re in Trondheim? Nice town, I’ve really enjoyed my brief times there.

What's Plutonium (in this case)?

Thanks Dave, yes, Harbeths are really something special, but not for everyone I suppose. If your a mid aged, jazz and classical lover for the most like me, they may suit you 

Trondheim is a lovely town, I`m originally from South of Norway, but have lived here for 27 years now.

Richard Dane posted:

Nicnaim, It's nice to see your Rotel RT-850L rubbing shoulders with such esteemed company.  I still have my RT-850AL in the study system here, and my girlfriend has my original RT-850L in her system in London.  Both still working well and sounding great.

Thanks Richard. I have a dedicated FM aerial on the roof so it does sound pretty good. Certainly was a bargain compared to some of the other bits

Stover posted:

Pu purchase needed

Pu is the symbol for plutonium, just a silly bit of humour.

My own tastes include classical and a limited amount of jazz, but are often somewhat less retrained - the reason I’ve been to Trodnhiem a couple of times is to play the Trondheim Metalfest

Last time we played there our dressing room was a box in the football ground, which was a nice novelty. It was a great event for its type, and it’s a shame it went under.

Still, to steer back towards the topic, I think BBC-style speakers and Naim is a match that can deal well with a lot more than the ‘relaxed’ stereotype of Harbeth etc. I very nearly went with some P3ESRs after a home demo, and an old member here used to lavish praise on Spendors when used with Naim for energetic music. I’ll see at some point. In the meantime, good to hear the SHL5s are doing the trick for you.

HiFiman posted:

The sound from the QB is quite remarkable given its size just popped on 801 Live TNK via Tidal and music fills the caravan, awesome 

I just have to second those comments!

My wife uses 2 of them with her Premium Spotify account. For the price & size, the SQ is indeed awesome. She chose the burnt orange covers though ...

Lovely system, Stover! I have Harbeth speakers as well, and love them. They sound great with Naim amplification, and I think the Harbeths can rock out as well, without being fatiguing (at least my C7-3s can rock out, even with my Slayer LPs).  It is true that they really shine with classical, jazz, and big band music, though.

French Rooster posted:
EJS posted:

New family member:

With special dietary requirements:

Cheers

EJ

i can’t see the photos....the new member is you or a new component in your system ?

System; I’ve been around for some 10 years, on and off... the problem is likely google photos, not sure it works for some but not all.

EJ

Add Reply

Likes (18)
ChetBakerAlcide NikopolNo quarterRevoliñoIvo BMuttonjefkmoldskredChag...JTBnigelbRomiNorthern SoulAdamxjcitsmanna.diabelliFolkmanKlydejames n