System Pics 2018

Salmon Dave posted:

Great-looking Xerxes Tricky - is it original spec, and how do they sound these days? Classic design, visually lasted better than many.

Thanks for the complement.

It's quite an early model from 1985 but it was upgraded to the better bearing and platter.  The platter is much more shiny than the original which was a dull aluminium colour.

It's got a Rega arm and a Corus Black which I changed to from an AT-OC9 which I found a bit bright.

It still sounds excellent but it does need a bit of TLC as the belt falls off sometimes when starting up.  I really must see to it.

A few years ago we fitted a shim kit to it as there was a little plinth sag.  I say we as my (long since retired) dealer helped with this as he is a personal friend.  I did feel rather guilty as we had a makeshift table and he was on his back on the floor adjusting it!  He's in his 80's but very capable having been taught the skills of Xerxes setup by Touraj.  

It's in remarkably good condition, I've owned it since new.  Here's a closer picture.

Franz K posted:
Gavin L posted:

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for sharing some pictures of your marvelous active 500DBL system. A few points come to my mind. I am sure you thought to move the PSUS to the right hand stack and the 500s to the left? But I also see your wall ourtlet is far on the left so it may not be possible due power cable length. As source you have the CD555 and a Nat02? Is there another source as you show three intputs in your pre? What is the smal box on top of the left stack, is this a headphone amp?  You have 6 SL XLRs..WOOOW!  What I probably would try is to free the SNAXO and the Pre on the right stack from the 555 head above, not only because this stack is really really heavy.  Maybe an intermediate fraim might be advantageous to separate the Pre and the Snaxo from the boxes below.  

I am actually surpised to find that displaying 500 active DBL systems creates some "heat" here on the forum , but am quite happy to see more of these fabulous "old school" top naim systems.

Enjoy your system I know how sublime this sounds, also congrats to your third 500!

Cheers, F

Not wanting to re-open the last thread entirely (sorry folks )

But Franz,  I tried to implement your suggestion of freeing the SNAXO, by siting it at the top of the “brain” stack and moving the CD555 to the top to the power supply stack.  Unfortunately the SL XLR leads are too short!  The SNAXO can sit above the 3x500, or the shelf above that, but not two shelves above.

In any case, I have kept the CD555 on top of the power and will give that a try.  Results will be posted in a new thread.

Sorry again!

Gavin 

Gavin L posted:
Franz K posted:
Gavin L posted:

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for sharing some pictures of your marvelous active 500DBL system. A few points come to my mind. I am sure you thought to move the PSUS to the right hand stack and the 500s to the left? But I also see your wall ourtlet is far on the left so it may not be possible due power cable length. As source you have the CD555 and a Nat02? Is there another source as you show three intputs in your pre? What is the smal box on top of the left stack, is this a headphone amp?  You have 6 SL XLRs..WOOOW!  What I probably would try is to free the SNAXO and the Pre on the right stack from the 555 head above, not only because this stack is really really heavy.  Maybe an intermediate fraim might be advantageous to separate the Pre and the Snaxo from the boxes below.  

I am actually surpised to find that displaying 500 active DBL systems creates some "heat" here on the forum , but am quite happy to see more of these fabulous "old school" top naim systems.

Enjoy your system I know how sublime this sounds, also congrats to your third 500!

Cheers, F

Not wanting to re-open the last thread entirely (sorry folks )

But Franz,  I tried to implement your suggestion of freeing the SNAXO, by siting it at the top of the “brain” stack and moving the CD555 to the top to the power supply stack.  Unfortunately the SL XLR leads are too short!  The SNAXO can sit above the 3x500, or the shelf above that, but not two shelves above.

In any case, I have kept the CD555 on top of the power and will give that a try.  Results will be posted in a new thread.

Sorry again!

Gavin 

The very short standard Naim DIN - XLR cables are a real curse if you've got the rear heatsinks of multiple 500s to get around, aren't they Gavin? It's a real problem because in most domestically acceptable rack arrangements they prevent good siting of the very sensitive SNAXO. I'm convinced the considerable improvement I got from my longer DIY cabling was partly down to being able to put the little devil in a much more advantageous position.

Gavin

Do you have one fraim with high legs?  You could use that above the top 500 for the snaxo and separate it that way a little further from the amps. The xlrs should be just long enough for such an arrangement .

Franz 

Moderated Post:  Franz, very kind, but please respect forum rules, thanks.

HiFiman posted:

Playing a few tunes to warm up the new addition to my system a 250DR I thought I would take a quick picture 

🔹 HiFiman,....Lovely,clean and beautiful. 👍🏻

If I get to be so brazen,and give a advice (that's probably why we have a Forum😎),....see that you have Linn Skeet under your Fraim rack.

Replace these,and buy 3 Naim Frame Chips instead....it plays better.

/Peder 🙂

I should have dusted a bit better, anyway thanks for the kind comments guys early hours yet (only switched on 2hr ago) but the 250dr has widened the sound stage compared to the old 250 and an extra layer of detail on tracks I'm familiar with.

The 250dr shouldn't take too long to come on song though as its not new and from late 2015 but it's mint.

Happy days.

Eoink posted:
HiFiman posted:

One other thing when I opened the 250dr box to my surprise PowerLine Lite presented itself, is this the norm now?

Not complaining 

Yep, PLLs are now standard with Unitis, Classics and the integrated separates.

Thanks for confirming, I didn't receive a PL Lite with my 272 just the traditional IEC

hungryhalibut posted:

To rejuvenate System Pics I thought I’d post a picture taken with my new camera - you can take pictures and transfer them over wireless to the iPhone. And then to Imgur. A modern miracle. 

that looks lovely, and so tidy, i can only dream of keeping a room so orderly and inviting until our two boys are a little older......

hungryhalibut posted:

To rejuvenate System Pics I thought I’d post a picture taken with my new camera - you can take pictures and transfer them over wireless to the iPhone. And then to Imgur. A modern miracle. 

Far too little black boxes in a rather unadventurous setting, mate ..😁

As requested from the other topic re: SN2 & subs, my humble system.  Please note, I'm well aware of many things of about this setup (couch, rack, isolation of turntable) that are not ideal ... but my wife is good enough to let me put this right in the living room (where our two little girls run and play), so I choose my battles.  But on the whole, am incredibly happy.  Typical music being played: Gillian Welch, Dylan, The Band, Dub (Scientist, Prince Jammy), Jazz, Female vocalist... but a bit of everything in the mix.

Sources:

1. Bluesound Node 2 (Connected to NAS & Tidal) -> Chord 2Qute (using coax out from Node 2) ->   

2. Rega RP6 w/ Dynavector 20X2H cartridge -> Graham Slee Reflex M ->

Amplification:

Naim Supernait 2  (speaker cables: Nordost Red Dawn, interconnects Nordost/Van Den Hul)

Speakers:

ATC SCM 19s on SolidSteel SS-6 stands (really stable, which was important for safety w/ the 3 & 5 year old running around)

JL Audio e110 sub (on an Auralex Subdude II platform – surprisingly effective!)

Upgrades:

On its way:  Auralic Aries streamer to replace Node 2 – happy to report any streaming improvements and if gain of better digital output outweighs losing first MQA defold from Node 2 on select tracks

Under consideration:  HiCap, obviously ; New vinyl front end, potentially Rega RP10 w/ Aphelion (and new phono stage) or potentially LP12 if I can get over the upgrade-train-phobia.

Pictures (apologies, iPhone + time of day made backlight a bit of a challenge):

From listening seat:

Sub tucked into corner behind couch:

Ardbeg10y posted:

Lets see. The flowers on my loudspeaker did affect the sound, the flowers on the 72 does not make a difference which I can hear. I must say, it looks nice in real. Photo is quite bad  - my camera seems to suck out all life from the photo.

Similar agreement at our house – potted plants leaning against the speaker are OK.  Nothing on top of the speakers/sub.

Re: the SoildSteel stands and filling them up – I also put kiln dried sand in them, but can't speak to how much I got in.  The openings were a bit tiny, and after spending an hour on the porch (and neighbors giving a bit of an awkward eye) with funnel, bags of sand, and upside down stands, just called it a day.  But at least based on what I can feel with hands on the floor, I believe they are isolating quite well.

trickydickie posted:

I'm wondering what will happen when one of her friends pops round for a coffee and fancies a browse of the atlas while your wife makes the drinks.

It is a trap actually. I'm looking to replace the cd5i and the project debut carbon by a CDX and a LP12. If it takes too long, I'll change the atlas by chocolate boxes. That should do the job quicker I think.

Add Reply

Likes (18)
ChetBakerAlcide NikopolNo quarterRevoliñoIvo BMuttonjefkmoldskredChag...JTBnigelbRomiNorthern SoulAdamxjcitsmanna.diabelliFolkmanKlydejames n