The Hugo of streaming?

I did consider a Chinese R-Core LPSU but was put off by having to import from Hong Kong or China. Sweden seemed a safer option.

Understood.

Is the Supra CAT8 cable available bare, i.e. without connectors, and in short lengths, e.g. 1metre?

I have read of people buying it on ebay ...I haven't found it to date. Please let me know if you do.

I have Vortexbox Nova 2.5 installed.

That was what I had loaded on my Prestige. Very good.

Hi Charles,

It is on .com; not .co.uk.

But, it appears to be free international shipping.

I am very tempted, esp. as I would like to compare it to the Lanmark7A I have lying around.

OK, you've sold me; two ordered.

I'll be b****y impressed if he calls at my house tonight with the cables!

M

Mr Underhill posted:
Brilliant posted:
charlesphoto posted:

FYI I’m using a meter of bare Supra CAT8 with dc barrel screw connectors, all four pairs in use, between my  microRendu and LPS-1 and the sound is glorious. Wasn’t that impressed by the cheap cable and poE adapter, but this is on another level. Really really good compared to my nice Canare dc starquad with oyaide connectors. Just blows it out of the water. 

CP - thanks for your posts. I have tried a foot of that. Add me to the pleasantly surprised. In my setup (LPS-1.2>ultraRendu) it appears that there is a reduction of the noise floor. Playing through the DAC-V1, the first thing I noticed was an apparent loudness increase and general clarity. Then there is the more natural 'flow' of the music- an even more relaxed experience than my custom cable. I guess even with a low powered device such as the rendu there is still enough current fluctuation for a cable configuration to exert influence! It is fascinating, kudos to whoever conjured CAT7/8 up as a DC cable.

B.

I think the kudos goes to Rob who has instigated a number of ideas - but happy to be corrected.

I agree with your observations.

I think it would be worth playing with a longer length of cable, say 1 meter - be interested in what you hear.

M

Hi M,

I did make up a 1 meter version. I think I hear slightly better timbrel definition -thank you. I also have a UGREEN flat CAT7 3ft long, using all the twisted pairs for power. That also is excellent (edges the Supra in some areas, but lesser in others). I guess they are acting as filters of sorts.

ATB.

B.

I like this setup a lot. To me it neither sounds 'digital' nor 'analogue' rather it  closes the gap to 'neutral/natural' especially with the human voices. Great resolution. Mitigating noise on USB has yielded startling results  here with the DAC-V1, much more than I ever expected. The upgraded power supplies and the addition of the Iso-Regen allowed me to simplify the setup. Thanks to all who have helped both on this forum, CA and every other tweak-er out there!

Attachments

Photos (1)

Hi M,

Yes I have tried the uR directly from the switch. The SQ is close in a lot of ways. If I did not try the 'PC ethernet bridge' tweak I would have been happy with it. The bridged setup is better. The sound stage is more in focus, the 'space' around instruments  clearer, the timbres more easily heard. Just  "cleaner and clearer" but in a wow kind of way!

I normally use the IR after the mR in another setup where it really works a treat for a smoother presentation. In contrast, my previous attempts using it that way with the uR did not provide any benefits I could perceive, if anything I thought it got in the way!

A now simpler and better SQ setup with the IR/uR;

I had the Paul Pang V2 USB PCIe hub in the setup prior to this one.It  was externally powered by an LPS and provided the 'clean USB and isolation' for the Anker unit. The Iso Regen replaces it but directly plugs into the motherboard USB port! An additional benefit is that the IR shares the 'cleaner' LPS-1.2 power with the uR, and all in all I think it is better at what it does.  All the good uR stuff is just that more obvious now but in a really more natural way= continuous hours of music without stressing. Additionally the deep bass extension seemed somewhat less with the PPV2 but appears to be fully restored now!

The use of the Paul Hynes SR4 LPS to charge the LPS-1.2 may appear as overkill at first glance, till you try to take it out, and you notice  'glare' creeping back with the other units! It stays put for now.

Happy listening!

ATB

B.

Hello all,

I thought I'd bump my favorite thread with an update on my recent travels in computer audio. I replaced my Sonore microRendu and Uptone Audio LPS-1 with an ultraRendu and Uptone LPS-1.2 and found that both the uR and the 1.2 had similar effects in my system: each one added a greater sense of body and weight to whatever's playing. (Usually internet radio -- so shoot me!) This finding echoes what's already been written here about the uR and 1.2. Good stuff.

My whole chain delivers Roon with the (by now obligatory) Cisco 2960 switch, through a Blue Jeans Audio ethernet cable to a SonicOrbiter 1.5 Roon server, then via another Blue Jeans ethernet cable to the uR, which is powered by the LPS-1.2 and Sonore DC4 power cable, then out to a Chord Hugo 2 via a Curious Cables USB "Hugo link", and finally through a Chord Shawline RCA to DIN cable to my 282.

Sounds pretty boss to me! And it's utterly reliable, with none of the dropouts that often seem to plague the streamers discussed on the forum, many of which, sadly, are Naim's own.

I know the above chain may seem bewildering to the uninitiated, but really, it all works together seamlessly and in my opinion is no more of a faff to set up than any streamer. 

--Joe

Hi Joe,

Nice looking line up. You might find a gain using PoE + 1m Supra CAT8 rather than the DC4.

Another tip, pushed by Mr Watts, is to use ferrites on the USB (or SPDIF) cable, lots of 'em.

Personally I found a nice gain in placing an Iso Regen twixt uR and DAC.

....all that said, you could just get on listening to music, that WOULD be radical!

ATB,

M

P.S. What DAC did you have before the Hugo 2? Any thoughts on pushing the boat out for a Blu?

I run a MicroRendu in one of my systems, but it needs an 'open source' control app, so the Naim app cannot be used. 

I use the open source Lumin app. In theory the Linn Kazoo app is open source and could be used, but I find that it won't work reliably with the microRendu.m

Hi Obsydian,

To expand on Hmack's response:

The mR and uR (and I believe the SoTM renderers) run in one of a number of modes that you can select. These 'modes' allow you to select which server you chose - in terms of software. The server then interacts with the application that controls it.

I find that these servers/modes do sound somewhat different.

In my case I use Logitech Media Server (LMS). My uR then runs Squeezelite, which I control remotely using either a web-browser or from my phone using Squeezer.

I would not overlook the importance of where you host the server software. It can be loaded onto a NAS, but I find this reduces the system performance. In my experience:

Vortexbox Audiostore Prestige 2 > Raspberry Pi3 > Synology NAS.

M

Mr Underhill posted:

Hi Obsydian,

To expand on Hmack's response:

The mR and uR (and I believe the SoTM renderers) run in one of a number of modes that you can select. These 'modes' allow you to select which server you chose - in terms of software. The server then interacts with the application that controls it.

I find that these servers/modes do sound somewhat different.

In my case I use Logitech Media Server (LMS). My uR then runs Squeezelite, which I control remotely using either a web-browser or from my phone using Squeezer.

I would not overlook the importance of where you host the server software. It can be loaded onto a NAS, but I find this reduces the system performance. In my experience:

Vortexbox Audiostore Prestige 2 > Raspberry Pi3 > Synology NAS.

M

Thanks MrUNDERHILL 

I was thinking more basic in terms of component box type setup, from Rendu to amp ...

Obsydian posted:

Could I do say ...

Tidal > Rendu > DAC > NAP250DR.

Also any suggestions what DAC folk are using.

How you interact with Tidal depends on the server software you choose.

For instance:
I use Logitech Media Server, this uses a number of plugins for different functionality, at least one of which gives access to Tidal ......I use Qobuz, via another plugin.

You could host Roon on a PC/NAS/Physical Server and access Tidal that way.

There will be others I am sure.

WRT DACs, I use the Border Patrol SE. I used to have an nDAC / XPS, and these can be picked up very reasonably 2nd hand. On Audiostream they have announced they are reviewing the updated V1. Equally over the years I have also used Benchmark & Bel Canto DACs, the Benchmark DAC1 was very good, but didn't get along in a Naim system. The Hugo is well liked here and can be picked up for about £600 2nd Hand - although you may have to get the batteries updated.

M

Mr Underhill posted:
Obsydian posted:

Could I do say ...

Tidal > Rendu > DAC > NAP250DR.

Also any suggestions what DAC folk are using.

How you interact with Tidal depends on the server software you choose.

For instance:
I use Logitech Media Server, this uses a number of plugins for different functionality, at least one of which gives access to Tidal ......I use Qobuz, via another plugin.

You could host Roon on a PC/NAS/Physical Server and access Tidal that way.

There will be others I am sure.

M

You lost me at server my friend (I did say this is all newb to me) 😉

I will need to take sometime and read up more, but many thanks for everyone's advise.

Obsydian,

Don't worry. One of the frustrations of IT is that the same words get re-used to mean different things.

In hardware a server is a computer that you use to run backend processes, such as databases. These usually are built to higher resilient specs.

A server can ALSO be a piece of software that serves up data, such as a stream of music; this is used/consumed by a software client.

Tidal will allow you to create a username & password to access their music, and then stream that over the internet to you. This might be to your browser (e.g. IE or Firefox), but in your case you will want to stream it to your Rendu. To do this you need some intermediary software to:

Log on to Tidal; and
Serve up the music stream in a way that can be consumed by the Rendu.

This is the 'Server' .....which in my case is LMS.

Hope this is less opaque than I fear it is!

M

Mr Underhill posted:

What DAC did you have before the Hugo 2? Any thoughts on pushing the boat out for a Blu?

Hi Mr. U,

Sorry for the late reply: we've been traveling and I haven't had as much laptop time as I would ordinarily. Probably as it should be!

At any rate, I've previously used a Chord 2Qute and before that, the DAC section of the Supernait Mk. 1. I found the Hugo 2 to be a nice improvement on my first two DACs: more vibrant and detailed, but not so much so that my beloved internet radio stations (mostly FIP!) sound crap.

I've heard rumors that Chord will be coming out with an upscaler/companion piece for the Hugo 2 and I'll be keenly interested if they do. And while the DAVE/Blue may be a bit out of my financial league at this point, I'll admit that the Hugo TT 2 looks tasty!

All the best,

Joe

joe9407 posted:.

I've heard rumors that Chord will be coming out with an upscaler/companion piece for the Hugo 2 and I'll be keenly interested if they do. And while the DAVE/Blue may be a bit out of my financial league at this point, I'll admit that the Hugo TT 2 looks tasty!

Is the “upscaler/companion piece” you mention the “2go”, or something different? Unlike Dave and more recently the Qutest, Hugo 2 doesn’t have 2 BNC. That is why I wondered whether Hugo 2 might not get an upscaler — but that was guessing only, as I didn’t follow the most recent Chord “gossip”. Would be great if my “guess work” was wrong!  

Hi Timo,

The Hugo2 can interface with the dual BNC of the Blu2. The concensus of the reviews I have read are that the BluDave > BluHugo2 > Dave. Some interesting on the Blu II thread on Head-Fi.

Mt Watts has said there will be an MScalar, the debate on the thread is about the price. My suspicion is that it will be about £4k, making the MScalarHugo2 better than the Dave at about the same price, but with a glass ceiling on performance.

M

Mr Underhill posted:

Hi Timo,

The Hugo2 can interface with the dual BNC of the Blu2. The concensus of the reviews I have read are that the BluDave > BluHugo2 > Dave. Some interesting on the Blu II thread on Head-Fi.

Mt Watts has said there will be an MScalar, the debate on the thread is about the price. My suspicion is that it will be about £4k, making the MScalarHugo2 better than the Dave at about the same price, but with a glass ceiling on performance.

M

Thanks a lot Mr Underhill -- I shall do some catching up on Head Fi. :-)

Add Reply

Likes (5)
LeisureHatwandererMoussanbpfhifinerdwannabe