What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Van Morrison - No Guru No Method No Teacher, original U.K. vinyl

A beautiful album, finding that the grumpy one in fine voice and spiritual mood. 1980s production, but none the worse for that. Folky soul songs is the best description I can think of, soul-searching lyrics, not a weak song on the album, and Tir-na-Nog and Into The Garden are two of the finest songs even Van has written , the latter being as close to meditation in music as you get. A wonderful sensitive work of art.

Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII (1972 matrix A2/B2) - Vinyl (£3)

Yet another from the Canal Trust Shop. Playing very nicely after the usual RCM clean. Was it ‘Yes’ he left. Reply Yes or No! He has an unmistakeable style. The album gives his musical interpretation of their character. I like the Anne of Cleves organ voluntary, and the Catherine Howard, but I can’t connect the music with being promiscuous yet, although it is rhythmic!

Phil

Eoink posted:

Van Morrison - No Guru No Method No Teacher, original U.K. vinyl

A beautiful album, finding that the grumpy one in fine voice and spiritual mood. 1980s production, but none the worse for that. Folky soul songs is the best description I can think of, soul-searching lyrics, not a weak song on the album, and Tir-na-Nog and Into The Garden are two of the finest songs even Van has written , the latter being as close to meditation in music as you get. A wonderful sensitive work of art.

Oh the warm feeling follows me since the day this came out.  A work of art indeed!

Filipe posted:

Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII (1972 matrix A2/B2) - Vinyl (£3)

Yet another from the Canal Trust Shop. Playing very nicely after the usual RCM clean. Was it ‘Yes’ he left. Reply Yes or No! He has an unmistakeable style. The album gives his musical interpretation of their character. 

Phil

Yes!

I saw him play Cropredy Festival a few years back, and he was in unusually cheerful mood. Before he played pieces from this he commented that when he wrote this he hadn’t expected to be married  nearly as many times as Henry, with the punchline “I passed 7 houses deiving here and thought I used to own all of them.”

Sounded like bits and bobs on first listen,

it is after all an oddment compilation of different venues and studios,

of Jimi's twanging that we ain't been stimulated with yet.

However i'm finding after my 4th play it's warming up to hot and groovy,

and the more i hear it the more i'm diggin' it.

How long is the burning-in period with this album?  : )

Debs

Mahler Symphony Number 2 - CBSO Rattle - Original UK vinyl

Mahker’s Resurrection Symphony is an immense work,  running to around 80 minutes in this recording. It runs through all emotions, loss, joyous memory, through a stunningly beautidul sung movement, through to a finale which starts with death and ends in a blast of transcendent joy. This is a fantastic performance, the CBSO and chorus are world-class here, the soloists are in glorious voice and their interpretations are deeply moving, Rattle drills deep into the emotions of the work. Amazing dynamic range in the recording. Overall a startlingly affecting interpretation of this amazing work, with a transcendent finale.

ALANP posted:

The Rolling Stones  - Tattoo You.This hangs together well considering the different time periods  these tracks originate from.

Alan 

I totally agree.  Some Girls provided loads of material and, apparently, some still unreleased. The highlight must be Waiting On A Friend which took almost 10 years to make to the album even with the original  guitar  by Mick Taylor.

Tabby cat posted:

Filipe 

Worth picking up. Theres some classic tracks on it the main one being  " Mama"."Home by the Sea" is a good instrumental work out.If you liked Abacab you will enjoy this I am sure.

It’s poppier than the Gabriel era works, but I’d agree with TC on Mama being excellent, and overall it’s a good pop-rock album with art-rock nods. (i don't have It myself, but I know it and do think I should pick it up at some point.)

Yo Yo Ma - Bach Cello Suites 5&6, original UK  vinyl

Bach’s Cello Suites are complex sophisticated works, which also manage to be fantastically musical and enjoyable to listen to. For me Yo Yo Ma provides stunning performances here, bringing out the emotional depths and beauty of the suites.

Filipe posted:

Rick Wakeman - The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table (1975) - vinyl

His music and sounds have become a lot more adventurous. Like this lots, and the vocals.

Phil

I think you ought to try Close to the Edge next, which IMHO is the finest example of progressive rock. It's also probably my all time favourite album. It features some excellent keyboard playing from Rick.

Eoink posted:
Tabby cat posted:

Filipe 

Worth picking up. Theres some classic tracks on it the main one being  " Mama"."Home by the Sea" is a good instrumental work out.If you liked Abacab you will enjoy this I am sure.

It’s poppier than the Gabriel era works, but I’d agree with TC on Mama being excellent, and overall it’s a good pop-rock album with art-rock nods. (i don't have It myself, but I know it and do think I should pick it up at some point.)

I agree that its worth picking up and another vote for Home By the Sea from me

Tabby cat posted:

Filipe 

Hi TC, Eoin and Alan

I am up to Selling England by the Pound apart from ... and then then there were three.. and the 1991 Concert. 

I’ve sorted the 552 DR demo out by adding the spare Powerline to the 300DR PS. It gives ... and then there were three.... a very concert like sound that is nicely balanced,  clear and exciting. 

I may opt for the CDs, as it was a trek to see the consultant after the successful removal of my prostate six months ago. The later vinyl doesn’t seem valued.

Phil

Add Reply

Likes (17)
dav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev