What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Stevee_S posted:

(1976)

Robin Trower - Long Misty Days

Wonderful stuff from RT with his heavy bluesy guitar accompanied by the much unappreciated vocals of the long departed and sadly lamented James Dewar whose voice on Sailing is worth the entry fee alone and my favourite over and above what Rod did.

Playing it in the car on my way home from work this afternoon.

A class act!

dave marshall posted:
Nigel 66 posted:
dave marshall posted:
Nigel 66 posted:

I saw these supporting Little Feat many years ago, and they were absolutely awesome, (in the true sense of the word) 

Little Feat and T of P on the same night - wow, what a show! 

Twas at The Rainbow, way back in '77 ..............what a night!  .................... unforgettable. 

Some of Little Feat's songs made it onto the "Waiting for Columbus" live album.

Ah, the power of suggestion ...........................

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus.

Certainly up there with the best live albums ................... great stuff.

Stevee_S posted:

(2007)

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

No reason other than when I was getting out of the library after having played Robin Trower in the R's, I spotted this which I hadn't played for a while. Lovely stuff from what would seem an unlikely pair. 

I have a particular soft-spot for that album as it was my introduction to the fabulous Alison Krauss.

dave marshall posted:
Ah, the power of suggestion ...........................

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus.

Certainly up there with the best live albums ................... great stuff.

Brilliant album - the noise of the auditorium and Don Collwell leading the audience with "F-E-A-T" always get's me smiling at the start of this album.

Best enjoyed at 'realistic' levels (usually when the other half is out) 

MDS posted:
Stevee_S posted:

(2007)

No reason other than when I was getting out of the library after having played Robin Trower in the R's, I spotted this which I hadn't played for a while. Lovely stuff from what would seem an unlikely pair. 

I have a particular soft-spot for that album as it was my introduction to the fabulous Alison Krauss.

Mike, it's fab' isn't it, for me it was finding out how well Percy got on with AK's bluegrass style and how well it all worked out, tremendous!

Stevee_S posted:
MDS posted:
Stevee_S posted:

(2007)

Mike, it's fab' isn't it, for me it was finding out how well Percy got on with AK's bluegrass style and how well it all worked out, tremendous!

Yes, Steve. I very much agree. This album shouldn't work but it most definitely does. 

kevin J Carden posted:

Guy Clark, Old No.1

A £3.99 at HMV new discovery for me. Only 45 years after it was recorded ! 

It’s definitely of its era, but a properly heartfelt and original Country album, free from the Stadium Rock styling of far too many modern Country artists. This is a real find.

Lovely album, I have it on a double album CD with Texas Cookin’, also well worth hearing, he wrote some fine songs.

Mirel Wagner - When The Cellar Children See The Light Of Day.

Just Mirel and her acoustic guitar ............. but this is far from happy campfire music, and is not destined to bring a smile to your face.

Dark subject matter, with tales of murder and death, this is, nevertheless, a hugely atmospheric album, which will reward an

extended listen, though I accept it's not for everyone.

It's there on Tidal, so go on, have a bash, and do persevere for a few tracks. 

Eoink posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

Guy Clark, Old No.1

A £3.99 at HMV new discovery for me. Only 45 years after it was recorded ! 

It’s definitely of its era, but a properly heartfelt and original Country album, free from the Stadium Rock styling of far too many modern Country artists. This is a real find.

Lovely album, I have it on a double album CD with Texas Cookin’, also well worth hearing, he wrote some fine songs.

Eoink, yeah, that double CD is actually the one I have too, but to my ears so far I prefer the first album and wanted to highlight that so I chose the album art just for that. I’ve not listened to the second album more than once yet, so my initial view of it could very well change. Like you, I actually got the below album at HMV

MDS posted:
Stevee_S posted:
MDS posted:
Stevee_S posted:

(2007)

Yes, Steve. I very much agree. This album shouldn't work but it most definitely does. 

I saw them on the tour to promote this album  - the show was as classy as the album. I still recall the way the pair played ‘The Battle of Evermore’. Superb event. 

Led Zeppelin -Houses of the Holy, WAV CD rip

The difficult 5th album . I find it hard to listen to Zep without 2  things, one being entirely seduced by the music, and two being reduced to using superlatives. More obviously produced than I-IV, it still shows the band’s amazing understanding of each other, their ability to take any role, and their stunning music. Some great songs, and fantastic playing and singing, Percy and Bonzo both strut their stuff, I love it, fantastic SQ from a rip of one of the SHM CDs.

Stevee_S posted:

(2007)

To save mobile users, I’ll quote this rather than the longer chain. One of my favourite albums, I’ve told so many friends about this, about half a dozen of them have bought it, as well as couple where I gave a copy as a present. In each case I got a message which boiled down to surprise that it was as good as I’d said, they’d thought I was just being OTT. What happens when you take 2 master singers of their type who deeply love music, and they click.

The Saw Doctors - All The Way From Tuam - WAV CD rip

I have a great fondness for bands I’d describe as great pub-rockers, bands who are clearly having a blast, sound like,they could lose it at any moment, sound like they have a beer at their feet, but have great songs, excellent musicianship and infectious enthusiasm,

That’s the Saw Doctors, a very Irish pub band, but several levels of craft above, this’s an album of excellent songs, ballads like Yvonne, lots of crowd pleasing singalongs with deep Irish roots, basically fine songwriting played and sung superbly. 

The Corrs - Forgiven not Forgotten - WAV CD rip

Debut album, and for me their best. Some excellent trad style instrumentals, and some very good Irish pop-rock numbers. The title track, Someday and Runaway are classic songs, intelligently written and played, the musicianship is consistently at a high level, Andrea has a lovely voice and interprets songs superbly, and as you’d expect from siblings they play off each other really well. 

Eoink posted:

The Corrs - Forgiven not Forgotten - WAV CD rip

Debut album, and for me their best. Some excellent trad style instrumentals, and some very good Irish pop-rock numbers. The title track, Someday and Runaway are classic songs, intelligently written and played, the musicianship is consistently at a high level, Andrea has a lovely voice and interprets songs superbly, and as you’d expect from siblings they play off each other really well. 

I really have to agree wholeheartedly with you Eoink... not only does Andrea have a lovely voice, she has other lovely bits too.  She's one of the only artists I ever used to fantasise over in my younger days.  And then I discovereed she was married... that almost broke my heart and I haven't played this album since  

Maybe I'll dig it out again tomorrow.

Add Reply

Likes (17)
dav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev