What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment - Italian Baroque Concertos - WAV CD rip

A BBC Music cover disc from years ago, the OAE play beautifully, I had a yearning for some heavily ornamented Baroque and this selection fitted the bill wonderfully. Handel, Vivaldi, Corelli, Scarlatti and others, great freebie.

Gazza posted:

Listening to Truth by the Jeff Beck group with Rod Stewart on vocals and Ronnie Wood on Bass. Beck rated Rod as his blues singer and moved on to mainly female singers. Supposedly inspired Led Zeppelin.

I must get some of Jeff Beck's work. 

MDS posted:
Gazza posted:

Listening to Truth by the Jeff Beck group with Rod Stewart on vocals and Ronnie Wood on Bass. Beck rated Rod as his blues singer and moved on to mainly female singers. Supposedly inspired Led Zeppelin.

If you want a good starting point,  Blow by Blow is probably one of the best

Mike-B posted:
MDS posted:
Gazza posted:

Cheers, Mike. I'll explore that album.

MDS posted:
Mike-B posted:
MDS posted:
Gazza posted:

Cheers, Mike. I'll explore that album.

...and now ordered, though curiously Amazon are saying it could take a month to deliver. Ah well, I've waited over forty years since it's release date to give it a listen so a few more weeks won't matter.   

I replaced my old CD rip with a 24-bit remaster released in 2016.   Its hard to find from the usual European vendors,  seems none have it, something to do with licence,  maybe why your Amazon is a long lead time.    I got mine from HDT (US) (no delays)

Paul Weller -  Heliocentric - CD Rip from Island Records 2000 CD Release. Such an underrated record beautifully orchestrated and more stripped back than the much more popular previous releases  'Stanley Rd' & 'Wild Wood' well worth a listen even if you do not like his other records.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Mahavishnu Orchestra  - The Inner Mounting Flame - WAV CD rip

Jazz fusion, complex time signatures, Billy Cobham on the drums playing lines you can only just follow, John McLaughlin’s guitar insanely fast as ever, the violin, keyboards and bass weaving along beside these. Despite the complexity of the music, it’s entrancing, the sheer energy drags me in, and I end the album uplifted. Brilliant music and musicianship.

Eoink posted:

Mahavishnu Orchestra  - The Inner Mounting Flame - WAV CD rip

Jazz fusion, complex time signatures, Billy Cobham on the drums playing lines you can only just follow, John McLaughlin’s guitar insanely fast as ever, the violin, keyboards and bass weaving along beside these. Despite the complexity of the music, it’s entrancing, the sheer energy drags me in, and I end the album uplifted. Brilliant music and musicianship.

Brilliant music and musicianship indeed. One of my all time favourite albums. 

apye! posted:
Clive B posted:
Filipe posted:
apye! posted:

Some Percy, on vinyl...

What is Percy about?

That's his nickname, Phil.

Thanks Clive, you beat me to it...

Interestingly, Led Zeppelin started life as the Yardbirds. Yea, I heard of them but never got into names of group members. Apparently, Percy is to do with Plant creating a stage persona with his long blonde hair, bare chest, colourful outfits, swagger and bravado. Just a bit of trivia.

Phil

Filipe posted:
SNIP

Interestingly, Led Zeppelin started life as the Yardbirds. Yea, I heard of them but never got into names of group members. Apparently, Percy is to do with Plant creating a stage persona with his long blonde hair, bare chest, colourful outfits, swagger and bravado. Just a bit of trivia.

Phil

I'd put it differently Phil. John Paul Jones was a session man, Bonham and Plan were in Band of Joy, as far as I remember Jimmy Page was the only Yardbird, and he was also a session man. JPJ and Page started pulling a band together when the Yardbirds folded, they briefly called themselves the New Yardbirds to fulfil some Yardbirds contractual gigs. But really there wasn't much linkage otherwise. The Yardbirds was a great band for kickstarting guitarists, they had Page, Clapton and Beck, about as stellar as you could get.

Add Reply

Likes (17)
dav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev