What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Qobuz 24 bit 44.1 kHz.

Skipped 'side 1' and straight to 'A Sea of Honey'.

Sounds utterly fantastic on my Nova, there seems to be so much clarity compared to the older CD version I had (unopened vinyl copy from original release), piano notes and vocals sound such more clearer, and there are subtle layerings of backing vocals I'd not appreciated before.

Not so sure about the new 'Artist' vocals though.

Kevin-W posted:

I have to say, hand on heart, that Ms Bush is the most preternaturally gifted female in the entire history of popular music. The only women who come anywhere near her are Bobbie Gentry and Joni Mitchell (both similarly uncompromising, self-contained artists), and even they lag behind her. Nobody else is possessed of so singular (if occasionally baffling) a vision. She's up there with Dylan, Hendrix, Stevie Wonder and Lennon/McCartney as far as I'm concerned - and I say that as someone who finds chunks of her oeuvre unlistenable. But she is a remarkably talented individual.

This 1982 album is an example of that singular artistic vision. By turns head-scratchingly odd (there can be few songs by a major artist as peculiar as "Suspended in Gaffa" or "Houdini") and searingly brilliant, it's one of her three great masterworks (along with "Hounds of Love" and "Aerial"). It's also her most challenging album - especially the closing track, "Get Out of My House".

This is the new Guthrie vinyl master, bought today. As @Richard Dane has pointed out, the reproduction of the sleeve is very good, the pressing silent and flat. I like this new master, although I haven't compared it to a UK first press.

@Kevin-W, I have always liked Kate Bush but never had the entire collection or even a fraction of it. So my question is should I buy the vinyl or the CD sets? I have pretty good replay on both.

Phil

Filipe posted:
Kevin-W posted:

I have to say, hand on heart, that Ms Bush is the most preternaturally gifted female in the entire history of popular music. The only women who come anywhere near her are Bobbie Gentry and Joni Mitchell (both similarly uncompromising, self-contained artists), and even they lag behind her. Nobody else is possessed of so singular (if occasionally baffling) a vision. She's up there with Dylan, Hendrix, Stevie Wonder and Lennon/McCartney as far as I'm concerned - and I say that as someone who finds chunks of her oeuvre unlistenable. But she is a remarkably talented individual.

This 1982 album is an example of that singular artistic vision. By turns head-scratchingly odd (there can be few songs by a major artist as peculiar as "Suspended in Gaffa" or "Houdini") and searingly brilliant, it's one of her three great masterworks (along with "Hounds of Love" and "Aerial"). It's also her most challenging album - especially the closing track, "Get Out of My House".

This is the new Guthrie vinyl master, bought today. As @Richard Dane has pointed out, the reproduction of the sleeve is very good, the pressing silent and flat. I like this new master, although I haven't compared it to a UK first press.

@Kevin-W, I have always liked Kate Bush but never had the entire collection or even a fraction of it. So my question is should I buy the vinyl or the CD sets? I have pretty good replay on both.

Phil

Tricky question.

The CDs certainly seem to be better value - confusingly we seem to have parts I-IV on vinyl and parts I-II on CD reissue.

I'm hoping content is identical but this observation has just thrown me!

I've purchased the majority already in hi-res from Qobuz (better prices for Sublime subscribers too) and they sound fantastic - unless as a collector's item I'd probably not buy the CDs myself, though I've ordered the vinyl parts I+II online (see KB thread in Music Room).  I guess it depends where you feel you have best playback quality.

Now playing........

Charles Lloyd & the Marvels + Lucinda Williams - Vanished Gardens

Charles Lloyd & The Marvels + Lucinda Williams - Vanished Gardens

Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone and flute), Bill Frisell (guitars), Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar, dobro), Reuben Rogers (bass), Eric Harland (drums) and Lucinda Williams (vocals).

Streaming on NAS............ A June 2018 release and just may be my favorite album of the year! Fantastic musicians and Lucinda provides vocals on five of the tracks on the album, I have given this album a number of spins at home, in the car and work and always brings a smile to my face!

Filipe posted:

Phil

Phil - as a body of work, I'd say yes, all the albums are essential, especially if you want to understand Kate's evolution from quirky popstrel to fully-fledged grande dame of British music; and her singular vision. Not everything on every album is essential listening but all of it is worth hearing. As for SQ, I have only heard The Dreaming (on vinyl) but the reviews - sound wise - have been very positive.

Alley Cat posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

Sort of relaxing in a prog rock sort of way. But hey, it’s Friday lunch time here and I’m not working today.

Steven Wilson. Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Relaxing, perhaps so, but are you aware of the subject matter that inspired this?  Apologiesi f so, but I was quite surprised when I saw it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand._Cannot._Erase.

Yes, a pretty sad back story there. Not too far apart from similar prog albums like Marillion's Brave.

Donald Byrd: Black Byrd - '72 rec.

Purists might not approve but I love this groovy Donald Byrd's all funky release with all star cast. 

Joe Sample on keyboard, Harvey Mason on drums, Chuck Rainey/Wilton Felder on bass, bit's a bit Crusader from the era. I need to get this on vinyl. Whilst it's not a Van Gelder production, the sound quality is very good a la  70's warm groovy mould.

Mike-B posted:
ALANP posted:

Image result for mark knopfler down the road wherever

Mark Knopfler - Down The Road Wherever, just getting to know this after purchasing last week.Did anybody else buy the 16 track edition? ,blimey its 78 minutes long!.

I'm disappointed there is no 24-bit download release yet,  I'm prepared to wait & see (hope).  But yes I will be getting the 16 track

Just listening to this ripped cd  from the NAS I think for the 4th time and I'll be surprised  if the HiRes version sounds any better. If it does I'll buy it. The cymbals on track four just sound so real. And the piano and sax on track five are just sublime.

Add Reply

Likes (20)
Pete the painterPixelPopperEoinkPeterDFMerckydav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53Tabby catGazzaSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev