What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

dave marshall posted:

Bentley Caldwell - The Place That I Call Home.

Tidalising this at the mo', ............... great shout, yer man Ewen, and NigelB .............. cheers chaps! 

(Ain't this Tidal a wunnerful thing, given the present cost of acquiring this particular CD?)

I am so impressed with this guy.

Now you have had a chance to hear the album, I would be interested in your opinion, Dave.

ewemon posted:

Much better than his first E.P. which had some of the numbers off this album done acoustically.

An artist to watch

Thank you Ewen. This is impressive - I thought I'd try a track or two and ended up listening straight through.

For those in the UK Bentley Caldwell has a few gigs coming up:

UK TOUR

June 1st: NORDEN ARTS CENTER: MAIDENHEAD 8:00PM

June 2nd: THE ROYAL OAK: ECCLESHALL STAFFORDSHIRE 7:30PM

June 3rd: THE WIGHTMAN THEATRE: SHREWSBURY 7:30PM

June 5th: KITCHEN GARDEN CAFÉ: BIRMINGHAM 7:30PM

June 6th: THE GREEN NOTE: LONDON 8:00PM

Links to be found on his website.

Give him a listen and perhaps pop along and see him.

Cheers, Tim

Image result for moondog sax pax

As the name implies, this album consists of pieces composed with the saxophone in mind. Nine saxophonists in all (from the London Saxophonic) pitch in on the disc, which also features some piano, folk-rock vet Danny Thompson on contra bass, several percussionists, piano, and occasional ensemble vocals; Moondog himself contributes bass drum, bongos, and (as a member of the ensemble) vocals throughout. In its swaying (at times even sing-along) melodicism, intricate arrangements, and light bounce, it's strongly reminiscent of his excellent 1969 Moondog album; in fact, "Bird's Lament" makes an appearance on both records. This is more enjoyable, toe-tapping, and life-affirming than most any other jazz or avant-garde music around in the 1990s, demonstrating that Moondog's talents remain undimmed in his eighties; it's impossible to hear the ebullient choral vocals on "Paris" without smiling.(AllMusic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTWKoRmoVo

nigelb posted:
dave marshall posted:

Bentley Caldwell - The Place That I Call Home.

Tidalising this at the mo', ............... great shout, yer man Ewen, and NigelB .............. cheers chaps! 

(Ain't this Tidal a wunnerful thing, given the present cost of acquiring this particular CD?)

I am so impressed with this guy.

Now you have had a chance to hear the album, I would be interested in your opinion, Dave.

Morning Nigel,

I've had the chance for an extended listen this morning, and, wow!

The album grabbed me from the opening track, (well, it is called "Foreplay"!), and had me from there.

Soulful and bluesy, it's some debut album, and he seems to be able to seamlessly move between genres.

Great voice, with more than a hint of Gary Clark Jr. and even James Taylor(????) in places, and his guitar work ain't too shabby either.

One for the future? .............. the future is now.

Great shout guys, just a pity that his brief UK trundle doesn't get oop North. 

Now Playing.........

Fred Simon - Since Forever

Fred Simon - Since Forever

Fred Simon (piano), Paul McCandless (soprano saxophone, oboe, English horn, bass clarinet, duduk), Steve Rodby (acoustic bass), and Mark Walker (drums, percussion).

Streaming on NAS.......   A sunny and beautiful morning and felt that Fred Simon's "Since Forever" album fit perfectly with the day! Sounding fantastic.......

Gazza posted:
al9315 posted:
ewemon posted:

Much better than his first E.P. which had some of the numbers off this album done acoustically.

An artist to watch

Where can it be purchased please.

Try fish records £11.99

You can also buy this on the river through their international sales (sent from USA) for £7.50 plus approx £3 postage. Bargain of the year if you ask me!

After playing the Vengerov version last night I played this version by Kyung Wha Chung with the LSO under André Previn. For some reason this gets the top recommendation in the Penguin guide, but it lacks the emotional intensity she conveyed with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra under Dutoit. The recording quality is not as good either.

nigelb posted:
Gazza posted:
al9315 posted:
ewemon posted:

An artist to watch

Where can it be purchased please.

Try fish records £11.99

You can also buy this on the river through their international sales (sent from USA) for £7.50 plus approx £3 postage. Bargain of the year if you ask me!

I will sell you my copy. Lol

Add Reply

Likes (14)
Minh NguyenDenisjGolf53PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev