What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Tom Adams - Silence

Cara Dillon - Wanderer

Music has the power to excite but also to relax. These two wonderful pieces of music have the extraordinary ability to relax, engage and move the listener, well me anyway. 

The Leaving Song on Cara Dillon's Wanderer album is, to this listener, a perfect piece of music. It gets me every time I hear it. I cannot offer any higher praise than that.

ewemon posted:
nigelb posted:
Gazza posted:
al9315 posted:
ewemon posted:

Much better than his first E.P. which had some of the numbers off this album done acoustically.

An artist to watch

Where can it be purchased please.

Try fish records £11.99

You can also buy this on the river through their international sales (sent from USA) for £7.50 plus approx £3 postage. Bargain of the year if you ask me!

I will sell you my copy. Lol

and he is playing dates in the uk very shortly. See his website. I will try and go to the one in Camden Town if I can.

(sorry I have just seen the previous post with the dates! Should have followed the posts more carefully!)

Bentley Caldwell

The Place I Call Home - 16/44.1

Another artist new to me, after reading the posts above went on to YouTube and listen to the title track and liked what I was hearing, did a search for the cd but could only find mp3 versions eventually found the cd download on “7 Digital” for £8.99.

Great album that I know will get even better with more listening, look forward to more albums from this artist in the future.

Edward

Sade - The Ultimate Collection - 2 CDs

Sade must have led the way bringing smooth jazz to us in the early eighties. One of my favourites, which I was reminded to play by a recent post of another of her albums. Sounding really great on the the 252, with the extra drive it gives. 

The word is another American tour is in the offing. The High Street where I live is blessed with her presence from time to time. She does a lot to promote country life in the area.

Phil

Kurt Masur, Gewandhausorchester Leipzig - Mendelssohn Symphonies 1 & 5, WAV CD rip

One album to wind down before bed after a rare foray into the office turned in to a 14 hour day. Mendelssohn’s 1st symphony is an early work, but bursts with his gift for melody. The fifth is more substantial, full use of the orchestral palette, fantastic depth of emotion, and the beautiful melodic brilliance again. I love these performances, the sheer pleasure of the first, and the reflection and joy of the 5th brought to life by Mendelssohn’s own orchestra.

Now playing.......

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

Streaming on TIDAL........  A mention from PCD earlier today playing "Pageant Material" which is a fun album  reminded me that I needed to take Kacey's latest album out for another spin. If you have not seen Kacey I would recommend taking a peek at her NPR Tiny Desk performance. Five tracks with her back up band all lit up, worth the time to check out here.

Bently Caldwell - The Place That I Call Home

Yes this has been posted a lot and I posted it yesterday which is probably bad form. But you really should not let this one slip through your fingers as I nearly did until Ewen prodded me to give it a go.

This gentleman is ridiculously talented. Every single track is a belter. After the first listen I just couldn't pin it down to a genre, and on second listen there is good reason. Bently mixes Soul, Rock and Blues, there is even a track with a Reggae vibe and a track with some great rap. He his comfortable belting out a rock anthem, then switches effortlessly to an emotional ballad.

Find of the year for me, can't wait for the CD to arrive.

Once again, thanks Ewen, but you really should start putting 'belter' warnings on your postings.

Eoink posted:

The Stranglers - No More Heroes, original UK vinyl.

Following Steely Dan’s AJA with another great 1977 rock album from a band with a name starting with St. Lyrically definitely angry punks, with Cornwell snarling bitterly between more sensitive singing. Musically a combination of punk aggression and blues rhythms with Dave Greenfield’s swirling keyboards adding lovely textures. Looking back 40 years it feels like puck vocals over high energy rock music, some great songs by a band that can really play.

Their agents, Main Street Management, used to rent an office from me. Didn’t have have the pleasure of meeting the group, but they did leave the Levi sampler.

Phil

seakayaker posted:

Now playing.......

Streaming on TIDAL........  A mention from PCD earlier today playing "Pageant Material" which is a fun album  reminded me that I needed to take Kacey's latest album out for another spin. If you have not seen Kacey I would recommend taking a peek at her NPR Tiny Desk performance. Five tracks with her back up band all lit up, worth the time to check out here.

Seakayaker, Kacey is on tour later this year she is playing in Bristol looks like I might have to get a ticket would be nice to see her live.

MDS posted:

A few days ago I caught a TV programme about the making of this album and Ziggy - on BBC4, I think - and made a mental note to play the album again.  This and Ziggy are my favourite Bowie albums. 

MDS - Many thanks for heads up on the BBC 4 Documentary. I completely missed this and have just watched it on the iPlayer. It really is superb and well worth checking out...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k0y0n

seakayaker posted:

Now playing.......

I bought this the other week off the back of the single 'High Horse'. It's a grower 

Jeff Anderson posted:

Diane Schuur  -  "Deedles"  (1984)  I believe she was based out of Seattle and I was fortunate to see here live in Pdx with the Tom Grant Band about the time this was released.  Pretty darn good singer.

I am sure I have a disc with her and BB King on it somewhere in the house. Need to track it down.

ted_p posted:

Bentley Caldwell

The Place I Call Home - 16/44.1

Another artist new to me, after reading the posts above went on to YouTube and listen to the title track and liked what I was hearing, did a search for the cd but could only find mp3 versions eventually found the cd download on “7 Digital” for £8.99.

Brilliant! Thank you Edward. I searched for it yesterday and couldn't find it. Miraculously "7 Digital" sell it here in New Zealand too.

Cheers,

Tim

nigelb posted:

Bently Caldwell - The Place That I Call Home

Yes this has been posted a lot and I posted it yesterday which is probably bad form. But you really should not let this one slip through your fingers as I nearly did until Ewen prodded me to give it a go.

This gentleman is ridiculously talented. Every single track is a belter. After the first listen I just couldn't pin it down to a genre, and on second listen there is good reason. Bently mixes Soul, Rock and Blues, there is even a track with a Reggae vibe and a track with some great rap. He his comfortable belting out a rock anthem, then switches effortlessly to an emotional ballad.

Find of the year for me, can't wait for the CD to arrive.

Once again, thanks Ewen, but you really should start putting 'belter' warnings on your postings.

I think this is quite appropriate - as it let's people notice some new music they wouldn't always automatically listen to. And if it's as good as this, it is not bad to spread the word... The directness of the voice and the music gives me a bit a feeling of what happened when I listened to the 

Rag'n'Bone Man

for the first time.... I will get the album. While it was not so easy to find it I found a flac version for download at 7digital. Besides all the illegal links which show up.

Add Reply

Likes (14)
Minh NguyenDenisjGolf53PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev