What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Bentley Caldwell - The Place That I Call Home, Tidal

A bit late to the party, but really enjoying my first listen to this. Classy songwriting and excellent musicianship, blues beats mingle with reggae beats, fusing soul and folk sounds, just excellent all around. Another purchase looms.

Eoink posted:

Bentley Caldwell - The Place That I Call Home, Tidal

A bit late to the party, but really enjoying my first listen to this. Classy songwriting and excellent musicianship, blues beats mingle with reggae beats, fusing soul and folk sounds, just excellent all around. Another purchase looms.

Glad you like it. I too think it is superb. Just don't buy it from the river from the US as they copy this one to CD-R on demand. Fish Records is your friend here.

I saw this album mentioned here a few days back and it reminded me to get it ordered.

The 12" single of 'She Sells Sanctuary' caused regular 'turn that bloody music down' shouts from my poor parents back in the day so it's good to be able appreciate it again, this time with an understanding partner and a detached house 

The Cult - Love

james n posted:

I saw this album mentioned here a few days back and it reminded me to get it ordered.

The 12" single of 'She Sells Sanctuary' caused regular 'turn that bloody music down' shouts from my poor parents back in the day so it's good to be able appreciate it again, this time with an understanding partner and a detached house 

The Cult - Love

Fantastic album.

A mate of mine gave me his vinyl copy from back when, unfortunately it is badly warped so I don't play it often.

james n posted:

The Cult - Love

An era defining album, which everyone, and not just those "of a certain vintage", should own.

By the way James, if you haven't yet placed your order, there's also available a 2 X CD "expanded" edition, containing long versions of some of the singles, at a reasonable price on The River, together with the 4 X CD boxset, which additionally has live performances and studio demoes ............ at daylight robbery prices. 

ZZ Top ^  is just coming to an end, so what better to follow than this .................. erm, LOUD! 

Eoink posted:
ALANP posted:

Quench

The Beautiful South - Quench

Glad to see some South here, I’m a huge fan of Mr Heaton’s songwriting, a true quirky English wordsmith.  Looking forward to seeing him with Jacque Abbott in a month’s time.

Eoin ,I nearly mentioned the lyrics ,very unique."Look What I Found in my Beer" and "Window Shopping For Blinds" are a couple of particular favourites.Enjoy the concert.

dave marshall posted:

By the way James, if you haven't yet placed your order, there's also available a 2 X CD "expanded" edition, containing long versions of some of the singles, at a reasonable price on The River, together with the 4 X CD boxset, which additionally has live performances and studio demoes ............ at daylight robbery prices. 

ZZ Top ^  is just coming to an end, so what better to follow than this .................. erm, LOUD! 

Must resist.............................

Too late 

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothing and Eternity Live, early ‘80s vinyl

jazz fusion pioneers playing live, extreme musicianship, rock rhythms, jazz rhythms. Occasionally it seems to be sliding to self-indulgent technique, then the interplay firms up and the deep musicianship and soul shines through, and the track becomes a heartfelt joy. For me a demonstration that love of music shines through in any musical form, great stuff. Nice way to recover from the cricket highlights.

Doll by Doll - Doll by Doll, original UK vinyl

One of those “should have made it” bands, Doll by Doll were a rock band with psychedelic and prog touches, who rocked hard enough to be OK in the London punk scene around 1980, while being talented musicians with a real gift for a tune. Fronted by the charismatic Jackie Leven, this album has one beautiful Celtic ballad, Main Travelled Roads, and a set of classy rock and pop songs, sung and played wonderfully. With just a bit of luck, they could have been huge, a real class act and well worth a listen.

dave marshall posted:

BB King - Blues On The Bayou.

Maybe not his finest album, but just the thing for slowing things down somewhat with some easy listening blues.

Nighty night. 

Indeed, not his finest album Dave, but the opening track is worth the price of admission alone. I think I’ve played the album maybe twice, but that track 100+ times. For anyone who has 5 minutes to spare and a Tidal account; have a go. 

Add Reply

Likes (14)
Minh NguyenDenisjGolf53PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev