What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Nerina Pallot - Stay Lucky - CD

Just gobsmacked at how good this is sounding as the new 252 gets burned in. The opening heralds great depth in the bass and so much is happening that just wasn’t noticeable before. It  now is a revelation to listen to. It is an intimate experience listening to her.

I played Phil Collins ..But Seriously.. earlier and that was so good even some of the rock stuff that I wasn’t so keen on. Likewise Wanderer (Cara Dillion and Melody Gardot’s My One and Only Thrill.

It all makes it worthwhile to have spent quite silly money on HiFi! Taken two years and a bit.

Phil

Beaucoups of Blues [US Import)

Ringo Starr - Beaucoups of Blues.The second album from Ringo, comprising Country & Western tunes recorded in Nashville, with the cream of the local musicians and songwriters.I certainly enjoy it more now than when it was released and it holds up pretty well.

Eoink posted:
apye! posted:

On original vinyl...

“Jenny sings Lenny”, I love her versions of Cohen’s songs, great voice, great interpretations, and the duet with Laughing Len on Joan of Arc is hair-raisingly good.

Couldn't agree more, stunning SQ on quite thin vinyl, much better than the re-issue!!

Now playing.......

The Pineapple Thief - Abducted at Birth

The Pineapple Thief - Abducted at Birth

Streaming on TIDAL........ I had placed this in the queue awhile back from a mention in this thread and just now getting around to taking it out for a spin to start this Friday evening.........  Sounding just fine!

Eoink posted:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothing and Eternity Live, early ‘80s vinyl

jazz fusion pioneers playing live, extreme musicianship, rock rhythms, jazz rhythms. Occasionally it seems to be sliding to self-indulgent technique, then the interplay firms up and the deep musicianship and soul shines through, and the track becomes a heartfelt joy. For me a demonstration that love of music shines through in any musical form, great stuff. Nice way to recover from the cricket highlights.

Have you heard the 'Lost Trident Sessions' album? It contains the original studio versions of the music on this album. In this case I find the recording to be better. Nonetheless, they're both essential Mahavishnu.

Sloop John B posted:

Although I have no recollection of where I came across this I had it saved in a playlist called “check-out”, which I just have and this is very enjoyable piano based jazz with some great percussion and excellent sound recording. 

Check it out. 

.sjb

I fully agree, a great album!

Clive B posted:
Eoink posted:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothing and Eternity Live, early ‘80s vinyl

jazz fusion pioneers playing live, extreme musicianship, rock rhythms, jazz rhythms. Occasionally it seems to be sliding to self-indulgent technique, then the interplay firms up and the deep musicianship and soul shines through, and the track becomes a heartfelt joy. For me a demonstration that love of music shines through in any musical form, great stuff. Nice way to recover from the cricket highlights.

Have you heard the 'Lost Trident Sessions' album? It contains the original studio versions of the music on this album. In this case I find the recording to be better. Nonetheless, they're both essential Mahavishnu.

Not yet Clive, but I will have soon, order placed on the river, thanks a lot.

Goldfrapp - Black Cherry - CD

Massively impressive Strict Machine and others enough to blow all the cobwebs away into orbit even at just past eight o’clock!

I shall do a Jack in the Bean Stalk impressions as the runner beans are growing several inches a day even as they harden off. My second Naim must be Green-Fingers.

Phil

Gianluigi Mazzorana posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

Diane Schuur  -  "Deedles"  (1984)  I believe she was based out of Seattle and I was fortunate to see here live in Pdx with the Tom Grant Band about the time this was released.  Pretty darn good singer.

The old glorious GRP days here Jeff!

They were great years and it is great music, I should listen to it more often.  I think I liked everything I ever heard on the label.  Hope you and "the ladies" are well, Gian.  regards, Jeff A

Now Playing........

Nnenna Freelon - Tales of Wonder

Nnenna Freelon - Tales of Wonder

Nnenna Freelon  (vocals), Chuck Loeb  (guitar), Bahiri Johnson  (percussion), Brandon McClune  (keyboards), Gerald Veasley  (bass), Woody Williams  (drums), Gerard Niewood (tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, flute), Dave Samuels  (vibraphone), and Richard Locker (cello).

Streaming on TIDAL.........  Nnenna singing covers of Stevie Wonder with a jazz influence, a very pleasant album to start of this lazy Saturday morning!

Add Reply

Likes (14)
Minh NguyenDenisjGolf53PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev