What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Etta James - Blues To The Bone.

I posted this a couple of days ago, and now that I've had the chance for a proper listen ............... WOW!

Old skool down and dirty blooze classics .................... highly recommended, and available from The River for not much at all. 

It's there on yon Tidal thingy, and if you like blues, you owe it to yourself to have a listen. 

Aretha Franklin - 100 Hits Legend - WAV CD rip

Sneaking in a little more Aretha before going out for dinner, this compilation because it’s for the only recording I have of her singing The Weight with Duane Allman on guitar. As good as it gets.

(2014)

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

A change of tack from prog to hard rock and this album from the Foo Fighters. 

"Though not a soundtrack album by any stretch, Sonic Highways shares its title with the Dave Grohl-directed eight-episode HBO series described by Grohl as a love letter to the history of American music. For the album and series, Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Chris Shiflett and Pat Smear wrote and recorded one song in each of these eight cities, delving into the local musical currents: how each region shaped these musicians in their formative years, and in turn the impact those people had on the cultural fabric of their hometowns.

All songs feature local legends sitting in, with every lyric written in an unprecedented experimental style: Dave held off on putting down words until the last day of each session, so as to be inspired by the experiences, interviews for the HBO series, and other local personalities who became part of the process."

I don't think I bought this when originally released on vinyl, but enjoyed many of the singles and videos from the group.  One of Mrs AC's 80's favourite bands so I ordered it on vinyl via Amazon.

Not really one for coloured vinyl but the clear vinyl looks pretty impressive.

Some excellent,  some average songs, but with Hunting High and Low which I never originally appreciated I think I can see why they may have been chosen for the Bond theme for The Living Daylights (Such a shame Dalton had such a short run as Bond as I thought he was excellent and gritty, I digress).

Interestingly the drums (or drum machine) on Take On Me has never sounded so good as it does via LP12/Nova tonight.

Daniel Barenboim & Martha Argerich - Schubert Rondo - BBC4 12 August on iPlayer

Great performance sounding sublime through my nDAC etc.

I watched the Greig Piano Concerto on tonight’s BBC4 prom program, a wonderful take on this well known piece to my ears, but the piano did not resonate to my ears at the Rondo does.

Phil

Bought this a few years ago, must have played it once as I found one of our dead cat's hairs on one side.

Blue vinyl for heaven's sake - looks awful, sounds a bit harsh in all honesty, change of direction for the band with a few good tracks which were probably better realised live.

dave marshall posted:

Etta James - Blues To The Bone.

I posted this a couple of days ago, and now that I've had the chance for a proper listen ............... WOW!

Old skool down and dirty blooze classics .................... highly recommended, and available from The River for not much at all. 

It's there on yon Tidal thingy, and if you like blues, you owe it to yourself to have a listen. 

Gave it a listen earlier today via Tidal, sounds great. Ordered a copy for my own from The River.

David Gilmour - David Gilmour (1978). Recent purchase, ripped and streaming. I have not heard this before now. First track is definitely Pink Floyd. More chilled than Devo . Released the same year as Devo - Are We Not Men, David stands the test of time. Devo? mmm no.

Lontano posted:

I've been listening to this one a lot in recent weeks - the new album from Tord Gustavsen Trio out Aug 31- as always the standard from this trio and ECM is superb. 

Adrian, I admire your consistency. I have already reached the point of saturation with so many ECM artists like keith Jarrett, Anuar Brahem, Charles Lloyd, Garbarek and Gustavsen that I just stick to the albums I already own and have no urge to expand the inventory.

Add Reply

Likes (18)
PeterDFMerckydav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53Tabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev