What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Now Playing.......

Jon Balke w/The Magnetic North Orchestra - Further

Jon Balke w/The Magnetic North Orchestra - Further

Jon Balke (piano, keyboards), Jens Petter Antonson (trumpet), Per Jørgensen (trumpet, vocals), Morten Halle (alto saxophone), Tore Brunborg (tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone), Gertrud Økland (violin), Trond Villa (viola), Jonas Franke-Blom (cello), Anders Jormin (bass), Marilyn Mazur (percussion) and Audun Kleive (drums).

Streaming on NAS........  Ended yesterday and now starting today with Jon!  Jon with the Magnetic North Orchestra is some great music to start the day and get this week moving in the right direction! Really enjoy this album.......

Released 2003 - Great funky jazz album, fans of Grover Washington Jnr will love this one. 😎

Dave McMurray - saxophone, flute, keyboards, synthesizer, percussion, programming
Ken, Bonnie Peele - vocals
Kevin Toney, Bob James - piano
George Duke - Wurlitzer piano, Fender Rhodes
Wayne Gerard - guitar
Marcus Miller - bass
Ron Otis - drums

dknk posted:

Coltrane - My Favourite Things. First ever listen (newbie to jazz in general), sounding great. MQA Tidal.

I'll follow you with this superb live album:

This set contains two versions of My Favourite Things, the first with Roy Haynes on drums, recorded in 1963, and a second featuring Elvin Jones, recorded in 1965. The performances are very different, possibly owing to the change of direction over time, but the drumming is very different and I think it is this which is the main cause of the change. Both versions have to be heard. Essential Coltrane.

Dan Steel posted:

Released 2003 - Great funky jazz album, fans of Grover Washington Jnr will love this one. 😎

Dave McMurray - saxophone, flute, keyboards, synthesizer, percussion, programming
Wayne Gerard - guitar
Marcus Miller - bass
Ron Otis - drums

Hi Dan,

With that line up how could I resist a listen on Tidal. I am only a couple of tracks in and I can tell this is right up my street.

Good shout, well for me anyway.

Tony2011 posted:
Paper Plane posted:
Tony2011 posted:

1995 - UK first pressing...

My b-i-l of the time loaned me this and I hated every minute of it...

steve

Steve, your b.i.l. was obviously a man of great taste and I hope you’ve caught up and now enjoy this great classic album.

I am still in friendly contact with him but I have continued to studiously avoid the band in question. To put it politely, they are not my taste.

steve

nigelb posted:
Dan Steel posted:

Wayne Gerard - guitar
Marcus Miller - bass
Ron Otis - drums

Hi Dan,

With that line up how could I resist a listen on Tidal. I am only a couple of tracks in and I can tell this is right up my street.

Good shout, well for me anyway.

Glad you like it this is good as well.😎

I bought this on the basis of a recommendation on this thread but it has remained hidden, forgotten and unopened in my CD rack for almost two years!  Until this evening. Rock but complex, dark and different.  I'm liking it so far.    

Oh, since it's not clear from the cover, this is More Constant Than The Gods by SubRosa.

seakayaker posted:

Now Playing........

The Be Good Tanyas - Blue Horse

The Be Good Tanyas - Blue Horse

Streaming on TIDAL..........  It has been awhile since I gave this album a spin.....  I enjoy their vocals, lyrics and music! 

Excellent choice Seakayaker, bought this album after hearing it  being given a spin at our Naim dealers all  those years ago. 

Tabby cat posted:

Haven't played this album for a good 30 years and enjoying hearing it again  -  Playing on Vinyl on Polydor Records 1972 - London garage Rock from The Pink fairies.

http://www.softshoe-slim.com/covers2/p/pink_fairies04.jpg

Haven't come across that Pink Fairies album, Ian.  I only have a couple: Never, Never Land and a (very disappointing) Finland Freakout 1971.  Saw them live once, very many years ago, which prompted me to get Never, Never Land. Don't often see them posted on this thread.

Mike 

Mike,

It's my only Pink Fairies album and I must admit I don't know much about them.I had a phase when i was 16 of collecting as much Hawkwind on Vinyl as I could and now have about 50 albums of theirs.I think I got the Pink Fairies album as they where always supporting Hawkwind in the 1970's.I never saw Hawkwind live until 1983 so missed all the 1970's gigs.

You are right about rarely seeing a Pink Fairies album in this topic - I would be amazed if Tony 2011 or Kev W don't have them on the shelf.

Cheers Ian 

Tabby cat posted:

Haven't played this album for a good 30 years and enjoying hearing it again  -  Playing on Vinyl on Polydor Records 1972 - London garage Rock from The Pink fairies.

http://www.softshoe-slim.com/covers2/p/pink_fairies04.jpg

Nice one Ian, that brings back memories.The Pink Fairies were the first live band I saw at a local technical college around '72.Also I have two surviving albums from that Polydor range of cheaper compilations, one from Cream and the other from Taste

Tabby cat posted:

Mike,

It's my only Pink Fairies album and I must admit I don't know much about them.I had a phase when i was 16 of collecting as much Hawkwind on Vinyl as I could and now have about 50 albums of theirs.I think I got the Pink Fairies album as they where always supporting Hawkwind in the 1970's.I never saw Hawkwind live until 1983 so missed all the 1970's gigs.

You are right about rarely seeing a Pink Fairies album in this topic - I would be amazed if Tony 2011 or Kev W don't have them on the shelf.

Cheers Ian 

I bet they do. And wouldn't be surprised if ewemon has met the band members. There's some great knowledge and insight contributed through this thread.

Prompted by Tabby Cat and AlanP.  I've now got a bout of nostalgia.

Back in the seventies, I had never heard of this band when a mate said they were playing locally and suggested we see them. We thought about it then another mate said he had heard that the band had been deported from Australia for something or other. That was the clincher and we went. They played this album.   

Add Reply

Likes (19)
EoinkPeterDFMerckydav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53Tabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev