What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Now Playing........

Marc Sinan & Oğuz Büyükberber - White

Marc Sinan & Oğuz Büyükberber - White

Marc Sinan (guitar) and Oğuz Büyükberber (clarinet).

Streaming on TIDAL.......   A recent release from ECM this past May and I have not given the album a spin yet, so there is no time like the present. 

Tonight :

Christine and the Queens: with the recent upgrades this is like discovering a whole new album within familiar tunes. 

Jaques Loussier: Plays Bach vol.1: bought to provide the soundtrack to my first production| Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and Dead in November" 1989, I have never heard it sound this good! 

Now Playing........

Steve Tibbetts - Life Of

Steve Tibbetts - Life Of

Steve Tibbetts (guitar, piano), Marc Anderson (percussion, handpan) and Michelle Kinney (cello, drones).

Streaming on TIDAL........  This is the second time I have taken Steve's 'Life Of' album out for a spin...... Listening to the opening tracks this may be best played prior to sleep with it's meditative qualities.

Now Playing........

Bonnie Raitt - Silver Lining

Bonnie Raitt - Silver Lining

Streaming on NAS..........  A fantastic video was posted by EWEMON earlier and prompted me to listen to Bonnie this evening!  Fantastic vocals, guitar and music and certainly has stood the test of time!  Love her......  and love her version of David Gray's 'Silver Lining'

Now playing........

Jan Garbarek & Ustad Fateh Ali Khan & Musicians from Pakistan - Ragas and Sagas

Jan Garbarek & Ustad Fateh Ali Khan & Musicians from Pakistan - Ragas and Sagas

Jan Garbarek (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone), Ustad Fateh Ali Khan (voice), Ustad Shaukat Hussain (tabla), Ustad Nazim Ali Khan (sarangi), Deepika Thathaal (voice) and Manu Katché (drums).

Streaming on NAS......... A recent purchase from Fat Cat Records a week or so ago and taking it out for a second spin. Jan's saxophone play is fantastic and blends so well with the voices and percussion. The type of album that I enjoy in the late evening prior to heading off to bed, meditative with a rhythm and beat, a soothing tempo....... 

Aretha Franklin - Aretha.

Songs from a teenage Aretha during her early spell with Columbia Records.  

From the opening bars, it’s unmistakeably Aretha, and it's a shame that these first recordings are often overlooked in favour of those

from her subsequent time at Atlantic.

Phantom Limb - Phantom Limb.

Their debut album, on the Naim label ..................  just beautiful music, and Yolanda Quartey's voice is something special.

If you've never dipped into their music, it's on Tidal, so, go on, have a listen, they're a bit good. 

Now Playing........

Jack Dejohnette - Oneness

Jack DeJohnette - Oneness

Jack DeJohnette (drums, percussion), Jerome Harris (electric guitar, bass guitar), Don Alias (percussion) and Michael Cain (piano).

Streaming on NAS..........  Starting the day with the steady and driving beat of Jack Dejohnette and Don Alias in the opening track 'Welcome Blessing!' A lovely album to start the day and find myself smiling as I listen to the interplay interplay between piano, guitar and percussion, this is sweet!

Primal Scream - Give Out But Don't Give Up.

The fabled original Memphis session mixes, abandoned in favour of a more "commercial" sound, and which were never released,

are coming out in Sept. / Oct. from Sony.

OK, I'm therefore not listening to them right now, but I am playing the released album, in anticipation ....... woohoo! 

Now Playing........

Jack Dejohnette - In Movement

Jack DeJohnette - In Movement

Jack DeJohnette (drums, piano, electronic percussion), Ravi Coltrane (tenor, soprano & sopranino saxophones) and Matthew Garrison (electric bass, electronics).

Streaming on TIDAL.........   Following up with a second album where Jack is paired with Ravi Coltrane an Matthew Garrison. A nice twist since Jack had performed with their fathers, John Coltrane and Jimmy Garrison as a young man earlier in life. A nice twist of fate and and a very nice album.....

What better way than this Live masterpiece to embrace Happy Hour in the office with - Playing on Compact Disc and loving it....."Any of the girls got any Irish in them...Any of the girls want some Irish in them.....This is a song written by Bob Segar it's called Rosalie".........Nuff Said

https://img.cdandlp.com/2017/05/imgL/3067177712.jpg

The The Infected on vinyl LP.  I dug this out and gave it a clean.  Came out well.  I had a cassette of this that lived almost permanently in the Pioneer cassette player in my car during 1986. I had a summer job working for a solicitors in the City of London as a messenger (I didn't do much except learn all about betting on the horses). I would drive to and from work (I managed to wangle a space as it was holidays) with Infected playing on the radio cassette most of the time. And then one day one of the guys in the post room introduced me to one of the young solicitors who worked there - he said he was Matt Johnson's brother... 

dave marshall posted:

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories.

Sun's decided to finally put in an appearance over North Yorks. so, some bouncy, happy, and not too serious choons to round

off the afternoon.

Serious choons or not, the SQ on this album is quite stunning.

I agree especially on vinyl the BBC documentary was very interesting describing how they wanted to create that sound and went to great lengths in the studio sourcing old mics and recording machines.

Jackson Browne

Running on Empty - CD Rip

First time ever listening to this album, absolutely brilliant, music, recording and mastering.

I have one other album from this artist “Standing In The Breachust “ must get more from this artist.

Edward

Add Reply

Likes (19)
PixelPopperEoinkPeterDFMerckydav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53Tabby catGazzaSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev