What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

ted_p posted:

Jackson Browne

Running on Empty - CD Rip

First time ever listening to this album, absolutely brilliant, music, recording and mastering.

I have one other album from this artist “Standing In The Breachust “ must get more from this artist.

Edward

Edward, as you are enjoying this one I would suggest that you get hies four earlier albums from 1972 - 1976 which are fabulous.  Perhaps Hold Out (1980) might be another to go for. ATB. Steve

Stevee_S posted:

(1982)

Daryl Hall & John Oates

I do like a bit of Hall & Oates from time to time and this was a bit of a cracker, nicely breathed on by MoFi in 2013.

Mofi could hardly do wrong here as the original was one of the best engineered albums of the time.  The original LP was mixed by Hugh Padgham and mastered and cut at Masterdisk by Bob Ludwig.  I dug out my old LP a few weeks back and it sounded so alive. I'd forgotten just how stunning the sound was on this one.

Stevee_S posted:
ted_p posted:

Jackson Browne

First time ever listening to this album, absolutely brilliant, music, recording and mastering.

I have one other album from this artist “Standing In The Breachust “ must get more from this artist.

Edward

Edward, as you are enjoying this one I would suggest that you get hies four earlier albums from 1972 - 1976 which are fabulous.  Perhaps Hold Out (1980) might be another to go for. ATB. Steve

Thank you for the recommendations, I should hopefully be back in Glasgow at the weekend (if I don’t end up in hospital again) will give HMV and Fopp as well as the second hand shops a visit and seek out the albums you have recommended.

Edward

Stevee_S posted:
ted_p posted:
Stevee_S posted:
ted_p posted:

Jackson Browne

Edward

Thank you for the recommendations, I should hopefully be back in Glasgow at the weekend (if I don’t end up in hospital again) will give HMV and Fopp as well as the second hand shops a visit and seek out the albums you have recommended.

Edward

Edward,

Amazon, Discogs and eBay are also great ways to buy old albums online but I'm sure you already knew that. 

I would go with the titles Steve is suggesting as IMHO he lost something in his writing and production after Hold Out.

ted_p posted:
Stevee_S posted:
ted_p posted:

Jackson Browne

Edward

Edward

Try and get the earliest masterings of the albums Steve mentioned as when they were re-released they were also remixed and had reverb added.

Now Playing........

Ry Cooder - The Prodigal Son

Ry Cooder - The Prodigal Son

Streaming on TIDAL.......  Enjoying some music from Ry this Tuesday afternoon, sounding sweet on this hot and hazy (smoke filled skies) Tuesday Afternoon. Western Canada & US on fire and looking out the window in Seattle is like looking into a fog bank at times. 

Ma’s third, and by his own admission last, recording of the Bach suites is excellent, one of the most enjoyable recordings I’ve heard in years. His way with the suites appears uncomplicated and melodic, but the way he holds attention until the last note without a single lapse can only come from years of study and familiarity with how each phrase fits in the overal picture. Great sound, too.

Listened as CD-R from download.

cheers

EJ

Now Playing........

Kenny Barron - Other Places

Kenny Barron - Other Places

Kenny Barron (piano), Ralph Moore (tenor and soprano saxophone), Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphonist), Rufus Reid (bassist), Victor Lewis (drummer), and Mino Cinelu (percussion).

Streaming on TIDAL.......  going with a mention from HAIM RONEN and taking Kenny Barron's 'Other Places' out for a spin........  and it is sounding mighty sweet this Tuesday evening!

Now Playing.......

Jack DeJohnette - Dancing With Nature Spirits

Jack DeJohnette - Dancing With Nature Spirits

Jack DeJohnette (drums, percussion), Steve Gorn (bansori flute, soprano saxophone, clarinet) and Michael Cain (piano, keyboards).

Streaming on NAS...........  started the day listening to two of Jack's albums and they were fantastic, adding a third prior to heading off to bed. Enjoying his music quite a bit!

Bert Schurink posted:
nigelb posted:

Ewen, can't see your 1st, 2nd and 3rd before last posts. Not sure if it an issue my end or yours.

I also can’t see it, so something must be wrong with the posts.

I can see them this side but the titles are in order

America- Holiday

Jennie Stearns- Sing Desire

Emmylou Harris- Cowgirls Prayer.

Add Reply

Likes (18)
PeterDFMerckydav301lutyensCloyde SyfoxMinh NguyenDenisjGolf53Tabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev