What concert did you attend in 2018?

16th March: Off to Paper Dress Vintage, a vintage clothes shop/gig venue in Hackney. Only in East London!

Ese and her Vooduu People played a supporting slot to two unaccountably popular local bands.Still, at the least the venue has a halfway decent stage and PA system.

Highlight for me in a 46-minute set was a lengthy and very heavy "Fairytale".

Setlist: Up In Smoke - Peace of Mind - I Don't Mind - Grey - Fairytale - Dynamite - Alien - She Said (Plan B song) - Crazy (Gnarls Barkley song) - Silver Spoon 

When I last saw Imarhan, back in 2017 in a support slot at Café Oto, there weren't too many people there. when i went to see them at the Moth Club on 23rd March, the place was absolutely heaving - you could barely move!

One can see why they're becoming popular - they're a charismatic bunch from Algeria who play a form of high-tempo 'Touareg-rock'. They've filled the hole left by Tinawiren, who don't seem to play so much in London these days.

On another note, anyone looking for a decent night out in East London should give the Moth Club a go - along with Café Oto, it's the best venue in that part of the capital. It's an old services club (Moth stands for Monty's Old Tin Hat - it's full of Deseart Rat/8th Army pics and memorabilia) that doubles as a nightclub and music venue. You still occasionally see some old veterans in there bemnusedly supping their ale and watching the hipsters troop into the music hall...

McCoy Tyner last night at the Blue Note, NYC, with Javon Jackson (ts), Gerald Cannon (b), Francisco Mela (d) - superb band, especially Cannon. I don’t normally go much for drum solos but Mela was outstandingly inventive. It was a very good sound too. Thoroughly enjoyable, if a little short.

I’ve posted some pictures on the Kabin if anyone’s interested. 

kuma posted:

I stopped following Tyner's work for a long time ( last album I picked up was Latin All Stars '99 release ) but nice to hear he's still playing.

I’m not sure how much longer he’ll be playing though. He’ll be 80 this year. His playing is fine but he moved very slowly and had to be helped down and up the stairs, which was sad to see. 

As a total contrast to Bert Schurink’s visit to the ornate splendour of the Markgräfliches Opernhaus in Bayreuth, this is the purely functional but still very nice Bela Bartok concert hall in Budapest where we saw a fully staged Tristan und Isolde, (I went expecting a concert performance).

Adam Fischer and the Hungarian National Philharmonic, were I think, the stars of the show, Peter Seiffert as Tristan had a very good last act but I think is probably past his best and Allison Oakes (who was a late replacement for Anja Kampe) is rather underpowered for the role.

The smaller roles were well cast and it was particularly good to hear the almost 73 years old Matti Salminen sing King Mark, he still has a fine voice.

Interpreti Veneziani - Chiesa San Vidal - Venezia

Antonio Vivaldi - "Le Quattro Stagioni"

"La Primavera" Op.8 n.1

"L'Estate" Op.8 n.2

"L'Autunno" Op.8 n.3

"L'Inverno" Op.8 n.4

Luigi Boccherini - Concerto per violoncello e archi

Camille Saint-Saens - "Danza Macabra" per violino e archi - Op.40

Our very first classical concert and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Great musicians and very enthusiastically played.

It was great to hear the music without a sound system/amplification destroying the music.

count.d posted:

IMG_2064 copy

Rolling Stones Cardiff on Friday. Top position, very lucky.

Now that's the seat worth going to attend RS concert!

I recall my mate walking out from Soldier Field ( one of those mega stadium ) RS concert after 4 tunes saying 'I did not pay for the tickets to watch a giant TV screen!' 

David Byrne at Symphony Hall Birmingham.

A stunning show. The stage was empty. No drum kits, amplifiers etc on view. Wireless head microphones brilliantly choreographed and great musicians.

Best gig I’ve seen for sometime. Plenty of old Talking Heads stuff in amongst the later solo stuff.

An evening of brass at the RCM. The RCM Brass Ensemble with Nigel Black and Jack Pilcher May playing Walton's Spitfire & Fugue, Mozart's Horn Concerto No.3, some older short pieces by Riedl and Corelli, and then finally Mussorgsky's Pictures At an Exhibition arranged for brass by Elgar Howarth.

It was a most enjoyable concert, although our usual front row seats were probably a bit close for so much brass - we got quite a blasting at times!

The opener of Walton's Spitfire & Fugue was great to hear live, and earlier in the day I had been out walking the dog across the fields at home when we got buzzed by a Spitfire that regularly flies over us from Headcorn airfield.  Hearing its Merlin engine clawing through the sky is music in itself!

Clive B posted:
kuma posted:

I stopped following Tyner's work for a long time ( last album I picked up was Latin All Stars '99 release ) but nice to hear he's still playing.

I’m not sure how much longer he’ll be playing though. He’ll be 80 this year. His playing is fine but he moved very slowly and had to be helped down and up the stairs, which was sad to see. 

Pretty soon, Herbie is the only one standing from the real Mccoy Blue Note era...

He's 78 but last year he had more stamina than when he was younger jumping around with a hand held keyboard.

Add Reply

Likes (0)