What is the latest music you downloaded, what resolution and from where?

With more music being downloaded I thought it might be interesting to see what forum members are buying and from where. 

 

The news that HD Tracks are soon to open an online UK store means that more choice is going to be available to us. The variety and quality of downloadable music we can choose from is expanding, MP3 to 24bit studio Masters at 192kHz and beyond.

 

So what are you buying and downloading?

 

 

Original Post

The velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground. In my Lou Reed mourning period I realised that I did not have a digital copy of this pivotal album and HDTracks were doing a special offer. 

 

Is HDTracks opening a UK store actually going to result in more choice? If an album is not available in the UK from the .com site will it suddenly become available from the .co.uk site? That kind of puts the kibosh on the assertion that it's to do with rights and licensing and perhaps brings the real reason into focus - that they can charge £20 for a $20 album. I suppose that at this stage there's no harm in hoping for something better.

 

Just got this one from the Sound Liaison Site.(soundliaison.com) Must be brand new, because when I checked the site, this Sunday it was not on yet.

Incredible beautiful and well recorded album. The opening tune, Astor Piazzolla's Oblivion, is so intense and lush, instant goose bumps.Actually sets the mood for the whole album.

Andre Heuvelman is a fantastic trumpet player, I don't recall ever hearing a trumpet sound that beautiful. And I am a big trumpet fan, I got pratically all Miles, Clifford,Chet and Wynton's recordings, this album has a more classical approach, but never the less I find Mr. Heuvelman whom I had never heard of before, up there with Wynton Marsalis. I actually think that Andre Heuvelman has a more beutiful tone.

The Sound Stage is, just as the other albums from this exquisite little company, deep, lush and with  a beautiful decay. It might even be Sound Liaison's best Sounding album, which is quite an achievement since their other albums were already in a class of their own.

 

 

Originally Posted by k:

 

Just got this one from the Sound Liaison Site.(soundliaison.com) Must be brand new, because when I checked the site, this Sunday it was not on yet.

Incredible beautiful and well recorded album. The opening tune, Astor Piazzolla's Oblivion, is so intense and lush, instant goose bumps.Actually sets the mood for the whole album.

Andre Heuvelman is a fantastic trumpet player, I don't recall ever hearing a trumpet sound that beautiful. And I am a big trumpet fan, I got pratically all Miles, Clifford,Chet and Wynton's recordings, this album has a more classical approach, but never the less I find Mr. Heuvelman whom I had never heard of before, up there with Wynton Marsalis. I actually think that Andre Heuvelman has a more beutiful tone.

The Sound Stage is, just as the other albums from this exquisite little company, deep, lush and with  a beautiful decay. It might even be Sound Liaison's best Sounding album, which is quite an achievement since their other albums were already in a class of their own.

 

 

Thanks for a great description k. It has tempted me to try and find somewhere to get a listen to it. I'll try the site you downloaded it from first. 

 

Steve

Downloaded a 24/192 FLAC version of Eagles' Hotel California from Highresaudio.de yesterday.  At £18 I thought it a bit expensive but it is definitely better than my CD version.  The bass guitar and kick drums in particular have much more weight and better resolution.

 

Using downloaded music for me is a bit clunky as I have to transfer the files to a USB stick for popping into my nDAC but I'll probably use this site again.  

Originally Posted by MDS:

Downloaded a 24/192 FLAC version of Eagles' Hotel California from Highresaudio.de yesterday.  At £18 I thought it a bit expensive but it is definitely better than my CD version.  The bass guitar and kick drums in particular have much more weight and better resolution.

 

Using downloaded music for me is a bit clunky as I have to transfer the files to a USB stick for popping into my nDAC but I'll probably use this site again.  

Qobuz definitely cheaper if you are looking for others- think I paid €15.99.

 

G

Originally Posted by GraemeH:
Originally Posted by MDS:

Downloaded a 24/192 FLAC version of Eagles' Hotel California from Highresaudio.de yesterday.  At £18 I thought it a bit expensive but it is definitely better than my CD version.  The bass guitar and kick drums in particular have much more weight and better resolution.

 

Using downloaded music for me is a bit clunky as I have to transfer the files to a USB stick for popping into my nDAC but I'll probably use this site again.  

Qobuz definitely cheaper if you are looking for others- think I paid €15.99.

 

G

Thanks, Graeme. Will have a browse at the Qobuz site.  I'm a newbie at this downloading lark. 

Originally Posted by k:

 

Just got this one from the Sound Liaison Site.(soundliaison.com) Must be brand new, because when I checked the site, this Sunday it was not on yet.

Incredible beautiful and well recorded album. The opening tune, Astor Piazzolla's Oblivion, is so intense and lush, instant goose bumps.Actually sets the mood for the whole album.

Andre Heuvelman is a fantastic trumpet player, I don't recall ever hearing a trumpet sound that beautiful. And I am a big trumpet fan, I got pratically all Miles, Clifford,Chet and Wynton's recordings, this album has a more classical approach, but never the less I find Mr. Heuvelman whom I had never heard of before, up there with Wynton Marsalis. I actually think that Andre Heuvelman has a more beutiful tone.

The Sound Stage is, just as the other albums from this exquisite little company, deep, lush and with  a beautiful decay. It might even be Sound Liaison's best Sounding album, which is quite an achievement since their other albums were already in a class of their own.

 

 

I have bought this one too. It is a 24/88.2  Studio Master Download Wav file.

Incredible well recorded and the playing is top notch.And yes ''Oblivion'' is fantastic, but my favorite is ''Incontro'' with the gorgeous cello introduction.

 Mr Heuvelmann is a thinking artist, I really like his own comments on the music of the album;

"Sometimes you find what you are not looking for and that is especially true for the music on this album. The music on After Silence crossed my path, by meeting people or visiting places, events taking place or just materializing in my mind, but the one unifying factor for all 11 compositions is that they appeared after a moment of silence. 
Silence is the most important part of my music making. 
Silence is there, foregoing every first note I play. 
Silence being the place for inspiration. 
Silence which lets me start each piece of music as a child hearing it for the first time. 
Silence keeping me from automatically following the beaten path."...... Andre Heuvelman 

There is also a free track available for download on the Sound Liaison site from this album. 

 

 

I spoke with a representative from Qobuz at the Bristol show who said that it would be offering a high resolution download service in the UK from April. He also suggested a typical price of £13.

 

Greater choice and a lower price might stimulate more risk taking with what seems to me to be the variable quality of some of these high resolution (often compressed) downloads. It was interesting to note though that all material used in the Statement demo was simply 16bit, 44.1kHz CD rips.

 Just checked their website, they have dropped the price for full albums to 15€ (12.5 pound) and they have the Carmen Gomes album as Flac for 12€ (10 pound).
                                          Flac file
                                               
Originally Posted by migo:
Originally Posted by k:

 

Just got this one from the Sound Liaison Site.(soundliaison.com) Must be brand new, because when I checked the site, this Sunday it was not on yet.

Incredible beautiful and well recorded album. The opening tune, Astor Piazzolla's Oblivion, is so intense and lush, instant goose bumps.Actually sets the mood for the whole album.

Andre Heuvelman is a fantastic trumpet player, I don't recall ever hearing a trumpet sound that beautiful. And I am a big trumpet fan, I got pratically all Miles, Clifford,Chet and Wynton's recordings, this album has a more classical approach, but never the less I find Mr. Heuvelman whom I had never heard of before, up there with Wynton Marsalis. I actually think that Andre Heuvelman has a more beutiful tone.

The Sound Stage is, just as the other albums from this exquisite little company, deep, lush and with  a beautiful decay. It might even be Sound Liaison's best Sounding album, which is quite an achievement since their other albums were already in a class of their own.

 

 

I have bought this one too. It is a 24/88.2  Studio Master Download Wav file.

Incredible well recorded and the playing is top notch.And yes ''Oblivion'' is fantastic, but my favorite is ''Incontro'' with the gorgeous cello introduction.

 Mr Heuvelmann is a thinking artist, I really like his own comments on the music of the album;

"Sometimes you find what you are not looking for and that is especially true for the music on this album. The music on After Silence crossed my path, by meeting people or visiting places, events taking place or just materializing in my mind, but the one unifying factor for all 11 compositions is that they appeared after a moment of silence. 
Silence is the most important part of my music making. 
Silence is there, foregoing every first note I play. 
Silence being the place for inspiration. 
Silence which lets me start each piece of music as a child hearing it for the first time. 
Silence keeping me from automatically following the beaten path."...... Andre Heuvelman 

There is also a free track available for download on the Sound Liaison site from this album. 

 

 

 

Neil Cowley 3:Touch and Flee ( naimlabel.com ) Wav 24/96

Touch and Flee is the new recording from Neil Cowley Trio, and marks a defining moment in the evolution of the band. It is their most daring album to date, spotlighting the ever- increasing brilliance of Cowley as a composer. With band mates Evan Jenkins on drums and Rex Horan on bass, they jump into new territory to present what they describe as "our concert hall record" for an altogether deeper listening journey.

and Batik; The Old Man and the Sea ( soundliaison.com ) WAV 24/96

The 9 pieces of music were performed live in the studio in front of a select audience.The musicians were placed in front of a stereo pair of microphones with additional spot microphones on each instrument. The musicians were playing without headphones, the reason being that we believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room, without headphones, it creates a number of musical and technical benefits:

As they are not ''separated'' by the headphones, the musicians, in order to hear each other are forced to create a natural and musical balance, a balance which is then easily captured by the main stereo pair of microphones. Because of the natural and musical balance the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary. Since everybody is in the same room, the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.

Couple I expect will be unusual on this forum, but perhaps they'll make sense to some.

 

Chopin Nocturnes & Ballades, played by Ashkenazy, from Universal, 16bit ALAC:

 


 

Some superb, fairly underground electronic stuff, the Black Mirror EP by Broken Note.  Bonus points for using a sample from the film Network so well at the start.  16bit ALAC from Ad Noiseam:

 

 

And my own new album, 320kbps mp3 via Haulix (press/preview download service):

 

 

 

 

 

I download a lot of stuff from eClassical, just compare their prices to Amazon!  They have a 'daily deal' which is often irresistible and have 24bit downloads available too.

 

They sell the BIS catalogue but have been adding other labels to their product list, for example Harmonia Mundi, Naxos,...

 

The BIS catalogue is an excellent catalogue of classical music, very good recordings but some stuff you may not have considered in the past.  Harmonia Mundi is a name that speaks for itself.

 

The last download I purchased from them was Aho's 10th symphony, a massive, massive, massive piece of music.  I find it completely mind-blowing, like being back at University again.   Before that was the album 'Satie & compagnie' by the French pianist Anne Queffélec on the Mirare label (a new one on me).  I love French piano music from the late 19th/early 20th centuries and this album is superb.

 

 

Give them a try, the daily deal is usually around 5-6US$ for a BIS (usually) 16/44 download, they accept cards and Paypal.

 

I must add that I have nothing to do with eClassical, I am just a satisfied customer.

Originally Posted by Stevee_S:

With more music being downloaded I thought it might be interesting to see what forum members are buying and from where. 

 

The news that HD Tracks are soon to open an online UK store means that more choice is going to be available to us. The variety and quality of downloadable music we can choose from is expanding, MP3 to 24bit studio Masters at 192kHz and beyond.

 

So what are you buying and downloading?

 

 

 

Power To The People - The Hits

John Lennon

24 bit / 44.1

 

Qobuz

Originally Posted by David O'Higgins:

Bert, where will you get the time to listen to all this?

Hi David,

 

I have understand your comment. I haven't downloaded some music for some time - so in that sense it's possible. But at the same time I have far over 4000 albums so too much. I tend to concentrate on new buys in the period after buying and then see what stays more frequently on the list. While I am divorced I do have some time to listen to music :-(

Originally Posted by Mike-B:

I think your enthusiasm for music & Spotify is admirable Bert,  but maybe posting a new album picture every two minutes looks like you are not listening that seriously.  

I do normally fully listen to the albums I publish that I listening to. What might confuse is the publishing of my new bought albums which I published during the downloading process. But I would regard myself as a real serious listener.

Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:
Originally Posted by Mike-B:

I think your enthusiasm for music & Spotify is admirable Bert,  but maybe posting a new album picture every two minutes looks like you are not listening that seriously.  

I do normally fully listen to the albums I publish that I listening to. What might confuse is the publishing of my new bought albums which I published during the downloading process. But I would regard myself as a real serious listener.

Bert

 

I have observed from your posts of purchases and listenings that you are a serious listener with quite eclectic taste.

 

There are some people on this forum who troll around from time to time on threads they never or very rarely contribute to and take shots at contributors.  They are unwilling apparently to use postings like yours as possible suggestions for things they could explore or actually attempt to connect with and offer their own assessments from experience.

 

Instead, they repeatedly suggest contributors are somehow not following  some arbitrary "thread guidelines" and therefore should cease or adjust what they are doing.

 

Ignore them. There is no need to "defend" yourself.  Enjoy your music and thank you for your postings.

 

Jeff A

Originally Posted by Jeff Anderson:
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:
Originally Posted by Mike-B:

I think your enthusiasm for music & Spotify is admirable Bert,  but maybe posting a new album picture every two minutes looks like you are not listening that seriously.  

I do normally fully listen to the albums I publish that I listening to. What might confuse is the publishing of my new bought albums which I published during the downloading process. But I would regard myself as a real serious listener.

Bert

 

I have observed from your posts of purchases and listenings that you are a serious listener with quite eclectic taste.

 

There are some people on this forum who troll around from time to time on threads they never or very rarely contribute to and take shots at contributors.  They are unwilling apparently to use postings like yours as possible suggestions for things they could explore or actually attempt to connect with and offer their own assessments from experience.

 

Instead, they repeatedly suggest contributors are somehow not following  some arbitrary "thread guidelines" and therefore should cease or adjust what they are doing.

 

Ignore them. There is no need to "defend" yourself.  Enjoy your music and thank you for your postings.

 

Jeff A

Jeff,

 

Thanks for the encouraging words. I do indeed post to ensure that we exchange with each other in the forum and get clues for other music. I have also quite often been pointed to something new which I liked. I am even going to publish more - as I just bought some other music....... From a listening part I assume that I will even get more access to the music as I ordered a Muso and intending to buy a mobile high res player....

 

Bert

Originally Posted by Harry:

Linn 

Super Audio Collection Vol. 7 (Various Artists)

 

Enter promo code EXAKT at checkout for a 100% discount.

Nice spot H.  I downloaded Vol 7 and thought right let's 'ave a go at volume 6.  Nah it came back and said only one promotion allowed per account.

 

The quality of the Linn Recordings are top notch, so I am looking forward to listening to this.

 

I downloaded their Peter Grimes (Peter Pears, cond. Britten) and the quality is stunning a 1959 (or 1960) recording should not sound this good but it does.  This is a Decca recording and so much credit must goto their engineers at that time - brilliant job.  But also whoever did the re-mastering for the 24 bit download also did a superb job.

Thanks again mate.

Originally Posted by David O'Higgins:

Just bought all 6 Simon & Garfunkel albums from HdTracks, 192/24.

Listening to Parsley Sage now - it is excellent. If they are all as good as this, how am I to get to bed?

 

I did the same with all their 24/192 Joni Mitchell albums, it felt as if I was hearing them all for the first time.... I warn you, sleep will not come soon David!!

 Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra - When The World Was One

 

I am not a reliable witness when it comes to acoustic jazz, being far more at home with fusion. However this is a terrific album. To me it harks back to Dave Brubeck and Kenny Graham (with a dash of Alice Coltrane) and has a line-up of sax, trumpet, flute, harp, piano, bass, drums.

 

The recording gives everything space to breath and to my surprise is recorded at (if my maths is right) 24/88.

 

The kicker? This can be downlowded from Bandcamp for just £6.99: https://matthewhalsall.bandcam...en-the-world-was-one

 

Highly recommended.

Originally Posted by Gary Shaw:

 Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra - When The World Was One

 

I am not a reliable witness when it comes to acoustic jazz, being far more at home with fusion. However this is a terrific album. To me it harks back to Dave Brubeck and Kenny Graham (with a dash of Alice Coltrane) and has a line-up of sax, trumpet, flute, harp, piano, bass, drums.

 

The recording gives everything space to breath and to my surprise is recorded at (if my maths is right) 24/88.

 

The kicker? This can be downlowded from Bandcamp for just £6.99: https://matthewhalsall.bandcam...en-the-world-was-one

 

Highly recommended.

Agreed!  Just download it and it is fab!

 

I am also a big fusion fan: Mahavishnu with John Mac, Return to Forever, Weather Report etc but I also am into acoustic jazz and yes this album is really very good.  Not quite sure which genre within jazz it is though, but still who cares, it just sounds good.

 

Thanks for pointing us in this direction.

24/48 flac B&W SoS

 

Comment from the source:

"The Gloaming carves new paths connecting the rich Irish folk tradition and the New York contemporary music scene.  From haunting sean-nós songs to rousing instrumental medleys, they create a new musical alchemy between ancient traditions, experimentation and modernity.

 

Fiddle master Martin Hayes, guitarist Dennis Cahill, sean-nós singer Iarla Ó Lionáird, hardanger innovator Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh and New York pianist Thomas Bartlett (aka Doveman) – The Gloaming are five master musicians, each with highly successful individual careers, who have come together to create new music which pairs memorable, yearning melodies with a progressive style."

Originally Posted by Erich:

24/48 flac B&W SoS

 

Comment from the source:

"The Gloaming carves new paths connecting the rich Irish folk tradition and the New York contemporary music scene.  From haunting sean-nós songs to rousing instrumental medleys, they create a new musical alchemy between ancient traditions, experimentation and modernity.

 

Fiddle master Martin Hayes, guitarist Dennis Cahill, sean-nós singer Iarla Ó Lionáird, hardanger innovator Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh and New York pianist Thomas Bartlett (aka Doveman) – The Gloaming are five master musicians, each with highly successful individual careers, who have come together to create new music which pairs memorable, yearning melodies with a progressive style."

Did you enjoy this month's Cara Dillon?  The SoS non-classical recordings are often quite weird, for example 'A man called Gerald' and that other geezer with the sounds of a rain-forest??? But 'The Gloaming' album you mention is superb.  Superb musicianship and beautifully recorded.

 

Bit of a bargain is SoS.

Originally Posted by David O'Higgins:

Just bought all 6 Simon & Garfunkel albums from HdTracks, 192/24.

Listening to Parsley Sage now - it is excellent. If they are all as good as this, how am I to get to bed?

 

I bought just 3 (Bridge, Bookends and Sounds of Silence) and they are EXCELLENT.  I should think about the other 3 I suppose.

Originally Posted by Gary Shaw:

 Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra - When The World Was One

 

I am not a reliable witness when it comes to acoustic jazz, being far more at home with fusion. However this is a terrific album. To me it harks back to Dave Brubeck and Kenny Graham (with a dash of Alice Coltrane) and has a line-up of sax, trumpet, flute, harp, piano, bass, drums.

 

The recording gives everything space to breath and to my surprise is recorded at (if my maths is right) 24/88.

 

The kicker? This can be downlowded from Bandcamp for just £6.99: https://matthewhalsall.bandcam...en-the-world-was-one

 

Highly recommended.

I posted my first comment about this album after just one listen.  I have now listened to it a lot and I have to say the more I hear it the more I like it.

 

It is fairly unusual to hear flute in Jazz, Herbie Mann springs to mind, but it is not the norm in Jazz combos.  A Harp in Jazz is, I guess, even more unusual but I have to say I have never heard a combo which contains the Japanese Koto, Harp and Flute - now that is very unusual.

 

But the Harp and the Koto give the music a mystical character at times.  I just love this album.

 

To give you an idea of where I am coming from when I listen to "new" Jazz it is usually a mix of the following (great idea streamers):

Portico Quartet - Are they Jazz?  Who cares, they are great and their live album s superb.

Roller Trio - Bunch (3 I guess) of Uni pals who play fairly Avant-Garde, sort of Acidic Jazz but not difficult to listen to in any way.  Can be a bit spacey but that's good in my book.

Kiromi - She looks like a little doll but man can she play the old Joanna.  On top of this she is joined by Anthony Jackson (bass) and Simon Phillips (drums) and the three of them create something very special - my favourite new jazz at the moment.

Keith Jarret - need I say more?

Banyan - West Coast jam band, I have downloaded a few sets from archive.org - great improvisations.

Tom Cawleys Curios - highly competent band, play a varied mix - excellent.

 

Great that Jazz is so alive and pushing new boundaries.

Originally Posted by David O'Higgins:

Who's Next Standard edition, 96/24 from Hdtracks, $17.98 less 10%. 

Last night I downloaded Who's Next Deluxe Ed. from HDTracks -- $30.00 less 10%.  But it was too late to have a listen and I hope to tonite!

Georgia Seddon - E.P.

 

I'd like to commend this young lady to the forum. It's very simple stuff, mostly just her and a piano or guitar, with a bit of whistling or whatever. Immaculately recorded by Green Gartside. Frail, but beautiful.

 

From Bandcamp (CD quality): https://georgiaseddon.bandcamp...bum/georgia-seddon-2

 

Oh and she's touring as part of Trembling Bells support for the Mike Heron tour. Mike's her Dad.

Originally Posted by Iver van de Zand:
Hi Bert,
 
I am a big fan of Patricia Barber. This album is one of her better one's. Think her lyrics are very interesting and good. Definately one of the leading ladies of Jazz Vocals !
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

Qobuz France 16/44

 

 

Hi Iver, I catched up on her. I have like so far everything I heard. This one is indeed also good.

Originally Posted by David O'Higgins:

I think I have been 'ingesting' the Simon and Garfunkel downloads too quickly. I am just now savouring 'Bridge over troubled water'. It's hard to find the words to describe how good it is. 

Anyone else?

 

It's FABULOUS.  

Originally Posted by Gary Shaw:

Georgia Seddon - E.P.

 

I'd like to commend this young lady to the forum. It's very simple stuff, mostly just her and a piano or guitar, with a bit of whistling or whatever. Immaculately recorded by Green Gartside. Frail, but beautiful.

 

From Bandcamp (CD quality): https://georgiaseddon.bandcamp...bum/georgia-seddon-2

 

Oh and she's touring as part of Trembling Bells support for the Mike Heron tour. Mike's her Dad.

Not THE MIKE HERON?  I thought I was the only aging hippy still a fan of the ISB!

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×