What's your favourite perfume scents?

Kevin-W posted:

I've always loved this as a men's fragrance:

Guerlain reformulated it slightly about 15 years ago, and it has perhaps lost a little of its citrusy, smoky punch, it's still spot on.

There's quite a nice story about how I came by this scent. Back in the 1990s I was interviewing Marianne Faithfull for some magazine/paper or other. Despite both of us chainsmoking, she smelled rather divine.

After the interview was finished, I asked her what it was.

"Darling," she said in that husky, fag-ravaged voice of hers. "It's by Jean Paul Guerlain. It's a men's fragrance called 'Red Jacket' and I've been using it since the 1960s." She pulled a bottle out of her bag and sprayed my wrists with it.

"Catching, isn't it?" she said. 

She was right, as I've been using it ever since.

A great story. Since the discovery of Jicky I have been exploring the rest of Guerlain. My mom loved Mitsuko. I wasn't too keen on those strong Oriental/incense laced Shalimar altho love the butterfly bottle with a blue stopper. My In-law's grand ma when she passed away I saw the very old bottle of it on her dresser.

You got me curious on Habit Rouge. Looking at its ingredients, I reckon it's pretty spicy but I bet interesting. 

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes
kuma posted:
pete T15 posted:

My favourite by a mile .

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Simple but might be good. I might try this.

This one really depends on the your own natural oily scent and it helps if you have a Mediterranean diet. On me, I ponged like an old ladies handbag.

https://fimgs.net/images/secundar/o.42406.jpg

I eat a lot of spicy food, and find that subtle spicy scents suit me.

loving this one.  I'm not a fan of those scents that lets everyone else in the room know that I've just entered. I prefere ones that just lets me and those that come in close contact know that I'm clean and fresh.

Christopher_M posted:
Kevin-W posted:

"Darling," she said in that husky, fag-ravaged voice of hers.   ....

Love the 'Darling' bit. Not doubting you btw. Just so showbiz.

As I recall she said it as a kind of joke, rather than out of luvviness. She is a great lady with a very fine sense of humour and the absurd.

TOBYJUG posted:

I'm not a fan of those scents that lets everyone else in the room know that I've just entered. I prefere ones that just lets me and those that come in close contact know that I'm clean and fresh.

Me neither. I prefer a scent with smaller projection and stays close to my skin.

kuma posted:

Impressive list but hard to imagine Beethoven used it as he had a rather questionable personal hygiene habits.

Notes:
Head: Bergamot, Lemon
Heart: Galbanum, Jasmine, Violet
Base: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Musk

What source do you use for the perfume descriptive notes? I am aware of fragrantic.com.

It's not the same as it used to be when I first bought it, I think good sandalwood stocks have diminished and they now incorporate more synthetics, but this is my perennial favourite perfume on a woman.

Shame too that we can no longer get the parfum as pictured above, only eau de parfum/toilette.

Not keen on the new bottle either.

https://www.guerlain.com/uk/en...s-fragrances/samsara

Alley Cat posted:

It's not the same as it used to be when I first bought it, I think good sandalwood stocks have diminished and they now incorporate more synthetics, but this is my perennial favourite perfume on a woman.

Shame too that we can no longer get the parfum as pictured above, only eau de parfum/toilette.

Not keen on the new bottle either.

I have a feeling there is a cost cutting going on at the house of Guerlain. I agree I think Samsara deserves its own Flacon!

I have never tried Samsara. i assume it would be too spicy. The reasons today's fragrance does not last might be because of more use of synthetic material?

last year I've tried Jean Paul's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. This is one of  L'ART ET LA MATIÈRE collection. I normally do not like vanilla or sweet scents, so I was set to hate it but alas, after a few weeks of try-on, ended up picking up a bottle.  I love the boozy rum. Certainly not for summer but it's great in chilly fall. This one lasts all day and night. One of the few with an extraordinary longevity.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Intro: 2007
Perfumer: Jean Paul Guerlain

I don’t get the idea of a seasonality to perfume use, except where someone’s preference is to smell like flowers, choosing flowers that are in season.

To me, a perfume is chosen to suit the person, to enhance something of them, so I see nothing seasonal to that. However I can see a logic to varying by anticipated company, so, for example, when with a lover (or hoping to find/attract one) a person might want a different scent from when at work.

Innocent Bystander posted:

I don’t get the idea of a seasonality to perfume use, except where someone’s preference is to smell like flowers, choosing flowers that are in season.

To me, a perfume is chosen to suit the person, to enhance something of them, so I see nothing seasonal to that. However I can see a logic to varying by anticipated company, so, for example, when with a lover (or hoping to find/attract one) a person might want a different scent from when at work.

Well, for me, I have different scents for different seasons also depends on my moods. Some are just too heavy for summer. There are some *generic* all season scents but most interesting ones are usually particular to the seasons or humidity. I do not care for loud and strong sillage.  So I love the whiff of something pleases me all day but not necessarily want to announce to the public what I am wearing.

One of my favourite spring scent: I enjoy this in spring more than in winter.

Celestial Jasmine

House: EB Florals
Intro:
Perfumer: Ilias Ermenidis

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Add Reply

Likes (0)