What should stand my Naim CD player on, if I don't own a FRAIM? (a support on a shoestring budget)

hungryhalibut posted:

The problem with heavy supports such as solid hardwood or granite is that it stores rather than transmits energy. 

Agree with,...and that is precisely what,among other things,is the secret of "Ikea Lack",and that makes the modified table so good.
There are more modifications you can make to the modern Ikea Lack,but that I tell you about,.. if it becomes relevant for you to try out Ikea Lack.

But I understand that you do not have room for such a solution,but the table is so cheap so you should buy one and modify it according to my image.

Just to see where you end up in Soundquality, then you have a reference to work towards, when you try to find a solution that works for you.

/Peder 🙂

TOBYJUG posted:

I would be more concerned with cables in the cupboard. Presuming that the back has been taken out.  Still, wrangling that big burndy must be a pig at the back.  Perhaps negating any effort to improve on isolating.

That Burndy? What Burndy? :-) There's TWO of the buggers!  And yes, you're absolutely right. Cabling everything is a sod.

There are various solutions to put under a component to reduce vibrations.  I generally prefer a properly designed shelf but if there's no room various footers can help.  I've recently tried a product from isoacoustics called orea that was remarkably effective under my dac (which was and still is stacked on another component).   Relatively affordable too. 

http://www.thetableclothcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/MAT-REC.jpg

You could try a nice rattan/wicker placemat. Have read that they were very popular with valve owners in the 60s and 70s used on the tops of sideboards.

I would imagine giving the best out of rigid and compliance.  Would also soak up and transmit energy in a totally organic way.

My cupboard is a huge old Indian rosewood style TV cabinet, which is big enough for an old CRT style TV and video recorder, so it is  deep. It is around 6ft tall. I have fitted shelves in it. We also have 2 large coffee tables and a second store cabinet in the same style. It just fits in with our decor and style, even though in lots of ways I would like to have exposed hifi components, it's just not going to happen. But I know that the cabinet, like ANYTHING in the room, WILL resonate, so I want to isolate my CD player by standing it on a somewhat isolated support, within the cabinet. Get it now? :-)

VAM, I had a similar situation several years ago. For domestic reasons, the system had to reside in large, heavy cabinet with doors on the front. What I did was to decouple the shelves from the rest of the cabinet by ungluing and unscrewing them from the batons that held them in the unit and replacing them again, just sitting on domed nuts inserted in the batons. This (I think) gave some degree of decoupling for those shelves from the much greater mass of the whole unit. I then put all the boxes on Audiophile Base platforms, which have Sorbothane feet and a basic suspension. If you can do something similar it may be worth investigating. Good luck!

TOBYJUG posted:

You could try a nice rattan/wicker placemat. Have read that they were very popular with valve owners in the 60s and 70s used on the tops of sideboards.

I would imagine giving the best out of rigid and compliance.  Would also soak up and transmit energy in a totally organic way.

or also put at the front of a door, for shoes....

I have an Alphason AV stand that has the TV supported on a bracket connected directly to the back of the stand, this transmits vibrations into all components on the glass shelves, The only solution I have found that works, was to place Brightstar Isonodes under the Naim gear, they completely decouple the equipment from the stand and had a positive impact on the sound. Not sure if they will help in a wooden cabinet, but worth looking into. Atb, Simon.

kevin J Carden posted:
My cupboard is a huge old Indian rosewood style TV cabinet, which is big enough for an old CRT style TV and video recorder, so it is  deep. It is around 6ft tall. I have fitted shelves in it. We also have 2 large coffee tables and a second store cabinet in the same style. It just fits in with our decor and style, even though in lots of ways I would like to have exposed hifi components, it's just not going to happen. But I know that the cabinet, like ANYTHING in the room, WILL resonate, so I want to isolate my CD player by standing it on a somewhat isolated support, within the cabinet. Get it now? :-)

VAM, I had a similar situation several years ago. For domestic reasons, the system had to reside in large, heavy cabinet with doors on the front. What I did was to decouple the shelves from the rest of the cabinet by ungluing and unscrewing them from the batons that held them in the unit and replacing them again, just sitting on domed nuts inserted in the batons. This (I think) gave some degree of decoupling for those shelves from the much greater mass of the whole unit. I then put all the boxes on Audiophile Base platforms, which have Sorbothane feet and a basic suspension. If you can do something similar it may be worth investigating. Good luck!

Hi Kevin.

That's exactly my kind of cupboard and my kind of problem, exacerbated by the fact that my Naim power supply hums a lot, so this is going in the 'underneath' section of the cabinet.

I had already unglued the shelves from the battens and put foam damping strips between the shelves and the battens.. Hadn't considered domed nuts. Thank you for that. I have also found a product called Dibond which is very rigid & light, and I might find a use for.

Cheers mate.

TOBYJUG posted:

Quite like the idea of those! Cheers!

vintageaxeman posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Quite like the idea of those! Cheers!

Have ordered one of these! Always swimming against the stream!

Add Reply