what was the last cd you bought?

seakayaker posted:

Dropped by Fat Cat Records today and picked up the following CD's...........

Buena Vista Social Club

Cowboy Junkies - Rarities, B-Sides, and Slow, Sad Waltzes

Bill Frisell - Good Dog Happy Man

Bill Frisell (electric & acoustic guitars, loops and music boxes), Wayne Horvitz (organ and piano), Greg Leisz (pedal steel, dobro, lap steel, Weissenborn national steel guitar and mandolin), Viktor Krauss (bass), Jim Keitner (drums and percussion) and Ry Cooder (electric guitar ripley guitar , special guest on Shenandoah).

Emmylou Harris - Angel Band

Emmylou Harris - Blue Bird

John Hiatt - Same Old Man

k. d. lang - hymns of the 49th parallel

Jan Garbarek / Ustad Fateh Ali Khan & Musicians from Pakistan

Jan Garbarek (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone), Ustad Fateh Ali Khan (voice), Ustad Shaukat Hussain (tabla), Ustad Nazim Ali Khan (sarangi), Deepika Thathaal (voice) and Manu Katché (drums).

Charles Lloyd - Lift Every Voice

Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone, flute, taragato), Geri Allen (piano), John Abercrombie (guitar), Marc Johnson (double-bass), Larry Grenadier (double-bass) and Billy Hart (drums).

Charles Lloyd - The Water is Wide

Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone), Brad Mehldau (piano), John Abercrombie (guitar), Larry Grenadier (double-bass), Billy Higgins (drums) and Derek Oles (double-bass).

Charles Lloyd - Rabo de Nube

Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone, alto flute, tarogato), Jason Moran (piano), Reuben Rogers (double-bass) and Eric Harland (drums, percussion).

Martin Speake - Change of Heart

Martin Speake (saxophone), Bobo Stenson (piano), Mick Hutton (bass), and Paul Motian (drums).

Ketil Bjornstad - The Sea

Ketil Bjørnstad (piano), David Darling (cello), Terje Rypdal (guitars), and Jon Christensen (drums).

RalphTowner & Gary Burton - Match Book

Ralph Towner (12-string guitar, classical guitar) and Gary Burton (vibraharp).

That was a good haul, 'SK.

OK, so I may already have Waltz for Debby twice (once on CD, once on vinyl) and Sunday at the Village Vanguard and the combined disc, At the Village Vanguard, but I couldn’t resist this, all five sets complete from 25 June 1961 in playlist order. It is, after all THE most divine music. 

Ordered 4 more CD's from the Hubro Label - http://hubromusic.com/news/ 

Morten Qvenild | Personal Piano
Christian Wallumrød Ensemble | Kurzsam and Fulger
Moskus | Ulv Ulv
Frode Haltli | Avant Folk

Excellent interview with Andreas Meland, whose recommendations at the end will make me poorer, but richer.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/h...W4QNo5To1q8.facebook

An edited exchange!
AAJ: Still, what is jazz to you and is it important at all to have this definition?

AM: But rules are not important to me. I'm not against anything or pro anything, it just has to be interesting.

TK421 posted:

Paul Simon - Graceland The Remixes

Absolutely nothing like the original but very cool with lots of toe tapping opportunities.

I'm impressed you have found something positive in this. I have given it a couple of spins (streaming it) because as a Paul Simon fan, it was on my list. I have tried but really can't find anything positive to say about it. I didn't find anything particularly inventive in the various approaches or that they brought anything to the original songs. I would recommend anyone interested try to give it a streaming listen first.

Star compilation tribute album to Muscle Shoals, covers of some of the biggest hits that came out of Alabama. I don’t know a lot of the artists, so it’ll be a good learning experience, I usually find at least one new act to collect from this sort of compilation. It’ll be worth it just for  Gotta Serve Somebody - Jamey Johnson, Willie Nelson, Chris Stapleton & Lee Ann Womack.

A visit to Fat Cat Records last evening.........

Jack Dejohnette - Special Edition

Jack Dejohnette - Special Edition

Jack DeJohnette  (drums, piano, melodica), David Murray  (tenor saxophone, bass clarinet), Arthur Blythe  (alto saxophone) and Peter Warren  (bass).

John Surman & Jack DeJohnetter - Invisible Nature [Live in Tampere and Berlin

John Surman & Jack DeJohnette - Invisible Nature (Live in Tampere and Berlin)

John Surman  (soprano saxophone, baritone saxophone, bass clarinet, synthesizers) and Jack DeJohnette  (drums, electronic percussion, piano).

Bill Frisell - Have A Little Faith

Bill Frisell - Have A Little Faith

Bill Frisell (guitar), Don Byron (clarinet, bass clarinet), Guy Klucevsek (accordion), Kermit Driscoll (bass) and Joey Baron (drums).

Lucinda Williams - Essence

Lucinda Williams - Essence

Cowboy Junkies - Lay it Down

Cowboy Junkies - Lay it down

Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl

Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl

Add Reply

Likes (7)
Innocent BystanderIvo BHaim RonenDarkWhisperpaddyragzmatt podniesinskiFormer Member