What wine are you drinking today ?

Picture the scene, if you will, down my local Morrison's. In what their buyers would later come to call the Dane-Marshall blip, they've only been cleaned out of the Bicicleta Carmenere. Much nashing.

I was about to get on me bike. Then I bought a bottle of their own label Camenere instead, at a whopping £6.35. It's a bit spirity, maybe slightly green, balanced with acid and fruit, and with a long finish. From Chile's Rapel Valley. Not much wrong for the money.

Christopher_M posted:

Picture the scene, if you will, down my local Morrison's. In what their buyers would later come to call the Dane-Marshall blip, they've only been cleaned out of the Bicicleta Carmenere. Much nashing.

I was about to get on me bike. Then I bought a bottle of their own label Camenere instead, at a whopping £6.35. It's a bit spirity, maybe slightly green, balanced with acid and fruit, and with a long finish. From Chile's Rapel Valley. Not much wrong for the money.

Strangely enough, no sooner had  I cleared my local Morrisons out of the Bicicleta, than they’ve restocked the shelves with the same wine, but this time, the “Reserva”, again, at two for a tenner.

Does it get any better than this?

I’ll get back to you once I’ve tasted it. 😋😋

Christopher, I do recommend a visit to your nearest Majestic, to sample their Porta6 red, though I fear it’s now no longer on offer...... super everyday red though, and my feeling is that Portuguese wines are making something of a comeback.

dave marshall posted:

Strangely enough, no sooner had  I cleared my local Morrisons out of the Bicicleta, than they’ve restocked the shelves with the same wine, but this time, the “Reserva, again, at two for a tenner.

I think my chain has just come off 

Christopher_M posted:
dave marshall posted:

Strangely enough, no sooner had  I cleared my local Morrisons out of the Bicicleta, than they’ve restocked the shelves with the same wine, but this time, the “Reserva, again, at two for a tenner.

😂😂

I never really paid much attention to Sicilian wines, probably due to some bad experiences with paint stripper in the '80s. Having just spent a week there, it seemed rude not to give it a chance, though, and everything we tried, chosen more or less at random, was excellent. This was one of our favourites.

2001 Vosne Romanee Les Malconsorts from Alain Hudelit- Noellat. This has a powerful and complex nose of red and blue fruits with spicy hunts, the palate is a massively concentrated beautiful raspberry/strawberry/chapeau fruit attack with complex pepper and aromatic spice notes, great length, lovely red fruit perfume left in the mouth. A genuinely great wine.

I decided it was such a glorious day in West Yorkshire I’d treat myself to a bottle from the “are you sure?” end of the cellar, and it’s a great choice. I do miss the days when a normal person like me could afford to  pick these wines up on release, but I’ll take great pleasure in enjoying the wines I have left from the turn of the century, and the extremely good wines being made at sensible prices now. I have 2 of the ‘98, 6 of this case and 10 of the ‘99 left of this, I must be more social in the future and share them with friends.

Christopher_M posted:
dave marshall posted:

Hi Christopher,

We sampled the Reserva against the everyday version last night, and curiously enough, preferred the non reserve version, which seemed to have more complex background flavours going on.

Mind you, that will clear the way for you to stock up on the Reserva, without worrying too much about me swooping on it. 

Add Reply

Likes (1)
robgr