World Cup Russia 2018 Thread

What a fabulous game! Thought Spain edged it and was surprised that they took Costa off, who looked hungry and a constant threat.  Ronaldo continues to show was a footballing genius he is and Portugal will feel they earned their draw.  

Christopher_M posted:
dave marshall posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Wondering if we've just had the Goal of The Tournament with Nacho's! #helluvastrike

Nope, Ronaldo's just taken that one.

Fair enough Dave, but get me with me hashtags. Not bad for an old un 

This old un singularly failed to register the significance of the hashtag ............... I'm so last century. 

Great game, though.

So after Ronaldo's Roy of the Rovers turn on Friday night Messi again failed to shine in an Argentina shirt as they were held to a 1-1 draw by those incredible Icelandic super heroes! These first group stage matches can disappoint sometimes when most teams are more focussed on not losing than on winning however things will pick up as teams have to win to qualify for the next stages. 

Today we will get a first look at the World Champions Germany v Mexico and also the team with most to prove after the last world cup Brazil v Switzerland but first up is Costa Rica v Serbia at 1pm.

Nothing I have seen so far has made me change my mind about Germany retaining their title but then again we haven't seen Brazil yet who on paper should win this tournament without breaking into a sweat.

Love it! The Germans completely underestimated Mexico and were ponderous - and they were punished for it. Chicharito, Lozano, the rest of the team, the manager, the raucous fans were all magnificent!

A great, classic WC upset, even better than Iceland holding off Argentina yesterday.

¡Viva México!

Muller, van Hummells, Noyer, Gomez are past their best plus Shweinsteigger and Lalm have retiredi. Ozil has caught Rooneys/Owens disease where you burst onto the scene as a youngster and then decline with every season.

Hence my prediction on page 2 of the Germans not making it as far as the last 4. It would fill me with great joy to see them go out on penalties.

wenger2015 posted:

I wouldn’t write the Germans off just yet, despite not playing well they could have easily ended up with a draw. 

It’s certainly making it a much more interesting tournament.... 

100% agree the Germans will be in amongst it in the latter stages of this tournament.

Bob the Builder posted:
wenger2015 posted:

I wouldn’t write the Germans off just yet, despite not playing well they could have easily ended up with a draw. 

It’s certainly making it a much more interesting tournament.... 

100% agree the Germans will be in amongst it in the latter stages of this tournament.

It is a remarkable fact that tournament winners appear to have lost the first match relatively often.

but... Scheisse!

(I support the Germans during this tournament)

thebigfredc posted:

A thought for tomorrow....Tunisia are Africa's highest ranked team of 21st compared with Engerland's 12th and didn't lose a group game. Draw?

The Tunisians will be a tricky opponent, although they do have some key players missing....

Their seems to be a good vibe around the England set up, I am quietly confident of a good performance and an England win.

I thought Neymar looked very fetching in his long stockings and shaggy perm last night.                                                                                                                                                                    

Well our opening match has arrived I have tried to avoid taking about our chances either way and for once it seems most of the country are with me. Let's hope they put on a decent show tonight and make a good start because of all the sides I have seen so far you wouldn't' say any of them were unbeatable.

Bob the Builder posted:

I thought Neymar looked very fetching in his long stockings and shaggy perm last night.      

Not to mention something resembling a Nike swoosh cut into his hair on the back of his head!

I saw the second half and thought the Swiss organised good on the counter, but not quite good enough to win it. Brazil didn't quite look a team (at this stage )for all their individual brilliance.

Bob the Builder posted:

Well our opening match has arrived I have tried to avoid taking about our chances either way and for once it seems most of the country are with me. Let's hope they put on a decent show tonight and make a good start because of all the sides I have seen so far you wouldn't' say any of them were unbeatable.

I really hope with so much youth in the team that for once we play without the fear of failure. 

A good solid opening performance can provide much needed confidence.

May the football gods be kind to us.....

It is it is certainly true that Englnd's players have not look like themselves in recent tournaments, whether it is down to fear is debatable though.

Football experts used to put their inept performance down to technical deficiencies of the players caused by the hectic playing style of our top division plus them playing too many games. The poor performances of Harry Kane in th last Euros debacle was put down to him being burnt out.

I just hope the team create some excitement like they did in Italia 90 because there is an entire generation, including my children who are now in their twenties, that have not experienced the thrill of a good World Cup run for England.

Ray

thebigfredc posted:

I just hope the team create some excitement like they did in Italia 90 because there is an entire generation, including my children who are now in their twenties, that have not experienced the thrill of a good World Cup run for England.

Ray

Ray,

Lets hope they can dig something special as 28 years since Italia 90 is far to long.I have'nt got much expectation for England maybe quater finals at best...really hope I am wrong but past history with them.At least our media have their feet more on the ground;rather than the We are England and all we have to do is turn up and we have won it mentality of the past.

Blimey! Left that late.  Given the missed chances in the first half I thought we were going to be disappointed with just a point.  Rubbish refereeing. Missed two obvious penalties and even the linesman were rubbish, getting more  offside decisions wrong than right.  Rashford made a clear case to be selected ahead of the ineffectual Sterling.      

MDS posted:

Blimey! Left that late.  Given the missed chances in the first half I thought we were going to be disappointed with just a point.  Rubbish refereeing. Missed two obvious penalties and even the linesman were rubbish, getting more  offside decisions wrong than right.  Rashford made a clear case to be selected ahead of the ineffectual Sterling.      

Nicely summarised.

A well deserved win despite the poor officiating.