Hi-Fi Corner

JohnPosted: 23 September 2000Last Updated: 26 September 2000
I am trying to understand the difference between the CDSII and the CDX/XPS.My friend has given me his CDSII when he is on vacation. To confuse thingsa little I recently purchased a Mana stand.Without the stand the CDSII clearly provides more...
HammerheadPosted: 21 September 2000Last Updated: 25 September 2000
Hi Chaps, System has just been up-graded with the addition of new speakers. Said system is now CDX, 62/140, Naim cables through-out and Ruark Talisman II's. It has improved in the area's it was lacking before ie, scale, dynamics and punch. However,...
WillPosted: 22 September 2000Last Updated: 25 September 2000
Hi all.I recently purchased some used Naim speaker cable. I was told it was the most recent version, but now I am not so sure. The cable that I bought is all black, with terminations soldered on by the local Naim dealer in Seattle. The lettering on...
Arye_GurPosted: 14 September 2000Last Updated: 24 September 2000
As I read here many people are analyzing the stereo system sound - words like harshness,describing kinds of bass forms (like deep bass)and more.I don't think it is the right way to judge thesound.When I listen to music at home, the only thing I care...
Tim CollinsPosted: 09 September 2000Last Updated: 24 September 2000
Hi, Another newbie to Naim.... Am looking to get the 5 series (cd5 & Nait 5) and am interested if anybody recommends a good speaker set to go with it? I.e does it really have to be a full Naim setup to get the best out of the system? Regards, Tim
davidfPosted: 21 September 2000Last Updated: 23 September 2000
can anyone advise me as to what web site is best to sell Linn or Naim equipment ie..ebay, audiogon, etc. I live in New York. I have several pieces of gear to sell(looking to upgrade of course!). thanks. david f.
Simon JenkinsPosted: 22 September 2000Last Updated: 23 September 2000
Anybody else tried the Chord Solid with the CD5 yet ? I found it made a huge difference over the standard Naim cable.More bass,cleaner mid, smoother treble, etc etc etc. Allround better performance, much more musical.Just curious if any one else had...
PPosted: 22 September 2000Last Updated: 22 September 2000
Is it just me or has the forum reached some sort of meltdown phase ie I keep getting these horrible blank pages informing me that 'there has been an error processing my request' or that 'the discussion forums are temporarily unavailable'.Whas goan ...
Jez QuigleyPosted: 22 September 2000Last Updated: 22 September 2000
Has anyone had chance to listen to the Katan and Ninka speakers yet? I'm sad enough to be interested in how they stack up against the naim equivalents, and the Linn ones they replace. note for younger readers: I'm old enough to remember when the...
Steve HallPosted: 21 September 2000Last Updated: 22 September 2000
Is is me, or has Infopop been having a *lot* of outages recently Today was a long outage, and there have been numerous The forum you have selected is not available at the moment, please try again in a few minutes messages that last for hours.Standard...
Arye_GurPosted: 20 September 2000Last Updated: 21 September 2000
I think the right way to judge the sound quality is only by the impression the listener gets and by the level of pleasure he feels while listening.Members at the forum think they can judge the quality sound by details like PRaT and more -the kind of...
Arye_GurPosted: 15 September 2000Last Updated: 20 September 2000
I wonder if the people in Naim are thinking the new logo is so wonderful - why do they keep showing the old one in the entry page to theirwebsite ?
Graeme CreePosted: 18 September 2000Last Updated: 20 September 2000
Just as a bit of a spoof, take a look at this guy . . .http://www.sound.au.com/madashell10.htm#pwr-leadsMakes the debate about Kimber Power Cords v Naim standard issue seem a bit tame.Anyone know anything else about this guy ? Is it really TF in...
Richard PagetPosted: 18 September 2000Last Updated: 20 September 2000
Hi,Sorry, I know lots of recent posts on cd players--but little chatter on the CDiI've been offered a CDi for £800 s/hThe current price forS/H cd3=£500S/H cd3.5=£700-800Would any of you choose a CDi over a CD3.5?Concerns I have are...
NaheedPosted: 19 September 2000Last Updated: 20 September 2000
Once the sbls are dismantled, is a new gasket kit required, or should I hope that the soap I smeared allows the gasket the stay relatively intact.By the way how strong is the sealant, mine seems welded I managed to lift both bottom/mid units without...
Uwe SupperPosted: 14 September 2000Last Updated: 19 September 2000
Dear all,I am more than sure that the topic has been covered in the old forum, but at that time I couldn't be bothered. I own now a pair of 135s, and the sound is phantastic, however what worries me a bit is the (slight) hum from the amps. I know,...
Martin PaynePosted: 19 September 2000Last Updated: 19 September 2000
I'm pretty sure I remember a comment from Mark Tucker on the previous conference that the internal PS inside a CDX could be left powered up whilst an XPS (or in my case a CDS-PS) is connected.I would like to try this so that I can compare a warmed-up...
Bas VPosted: 14 September 2000Last Updated: 19 September 2000
Dear fellow Naim lovers,Last week I bought a Naim CDI. Really great, it sounds a lot better than the CD3(.5). Originally I wanted a CD2, but these are rather difficult to find, more expensive and I think now not that much better. Anyway, I wanted to...
Bas VPosted: 19 September 2000Last Updated: 19 September 2000
I really like this forum, so here's another question to keep you off the streets! I currently own an nac92, nap90/3, flatcap & cdi combo. Speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 2's and a Rel Stadium 2. Now I have noticed that some of you think the bass of subwoofers is not fast enough for Naim gear. Which speakers could you recommend me to blast my present setup away? My present room is 4 x 4 m. The new speakers will have to work both in small as in large rooms, as I am planning on moving within...
Graeme CreePosted: 31 August 2000Last Updated: 19 September 2000
So say your gear is located on an 18" high plinth to the side of a chimney breast. Said plinth is totally isolated from floor (rear attached to outside wall, front to brick wall sunk through to foundations) and top is 3/4" chipboard covered in 1/2"...
Ulrich HohnPosted: 16 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
I live in a renting house and cannot play not loud. In contrast to a NBL my SBL is a light load, so that the amplifier became warmer in the 6 weeks never than 35 degrees Celsius.My Nap500 does not play yet as well as the Nap500 at the home-demo -...
Richard PagetPosted: 18 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
Hi---again!!I've previously posted--on my current system upgrades and am very greatful for the advice recievedCDi S/H on its way-thanks for the adviceHicap added--incredible difference!!!And for the preamp?I discussed things with Naim on the phone...
Doug GrahamPosted: 14 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
Hey boys Hey girls hear! we go.There appears to be enough forum members wanting to come to some sort of closed dem at the show for us to justify closing our room to the general public both Sat/Sun @ 4.00-4.30pm. So i guess we could arrange some sort...
Mark PackerPosted: 18 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
I *know* we did this to death on the 'old' forum, but I'd appreciate some input from the collective mindset. (BTW can someone explain how to submit a decent looking ASCII picci? I've tried spaces and tabs but it all looks conpletely squwiff on the...
Jonathan GorsePosted: 12 August 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
So who's going then to Hammersmith? And are naim going to let us know what they'll be demoing there. Will the 500/DBL's be putting in an appearance?I've been toying with if there's a way of us forum members identifying ourselves to fellow forum...