Hi-Fi Corner

Greg BeattyPosted: 18 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
OK...I bought four pieces of 1/4 inch glass and placed CD3/72/hicap/140 each on their own spiked glass shelf. Result was very good but a tad bright and lean. So, I added a bit of compliance (DIY silicone squishies) under the CD player and the bass...
Richard PagetPosted: 12 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
HiI'd appreciate your advice--System LP12/Valhalla/ittok/oc7naim 42.5/110monitor audio 852gold (Marantz CD63-ouch)I've been out of the country for 4yrs and have just come back to my boxed up systemAs you can see immediate funds should go to...
John BoonPosted: 16 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
Following some sage advice about saving useful posts, I copied the text from a particular post about cable arrangementg on the old forum to a Word document. The poster seemed to have something of a similar equipment roster to mine and was easy to...
Greg BolenPosted: 15 September 2000Last Updated: 16 September 2000
Has anyone tried Linn Kan2 or Tukans active usingan SBL snaxo ? NANA tells me this can be done by turning down the treble in the sbl-snaxo. However it doesn't sound quite as good as the snaxo-kan which is configured at the Naim factory. Can anyone...
guy bateyPosted: 11 September 2000Last Updated: 15 September 2000
There’s been a good thread on cd player ratings – anyone care to start one on relative integrated/pre/power amps? Maybe we need a specific section of the forum, with a thread for each product with reviews, comments, tweaks etc.
Joe PetrikPosted: 10 September 2000Last Updated: 15 September 2000
As I came home on Friday night, walking down the path that leads to my place, I saw two beige boxes sitting on the front porch. Weird, I'm not expecting any delivery... some courier must have delivered these boxes to the wrong house. But as I walked...
guy bateyPosted: 08 September 2000Last Updated: 15 September 2000
Naim gear is the most exciting and dynamic around, but I worry about two tendencies: one is a way of pushing drums, percussion & other dynamic peaks up in the mix to exciting but maybe unrealistic levels; and second is a slight but persistent hardness...
Bob EdwardsPosted: 10 September 2000Last Updated: 14 September 2000
Hey all--Is there an absolute IDEAL length for NACA 5 ? The only recommendations are to be at least 3.5 meters (10 feet) to insure the minimum amount of inductance is presented to the amps. (And how much is too much ?) I am replacing my NACA 5 and if...
david rPosted: 13 September 2000Last Updated: 14 September 2000
I have the above with 135's, 82 + 2* HiCap and old Mrantz CD85 and Meridian 203 DAC. The SF's sound fabulous but need to be too far away from teh wall (at least 3 feet) for where I have moved to - any suggestions for alternatives. I heard Credos and...
NaheedPosted: 08 September 2000Last Updated: 14 September 2000
Whats the plan for the IXO ? i spoke to a dealer the other day regarding a p/ex on mine (moving to snaxo 2-4), his thought was that Naim were trying to discontinue it as it was a BAD idea !!!Frankly, I have used an ixo with Intro's, now SBLs with 2*...
Simon JenkinsPosted: 13 September 2000Last Updated: 14 September 2000
I was playing with this last night as well. I always listen to the CD5 with the display turned off, but last night was playing around with switching the display off and on.I was actually surprised about how noticible the difference was. It only really...
woodfacePosted: 13 September 2000Last Updated: 14 September 2000
I could really do with some guidance regarding possible speaker purchase. My current system is LP12/Ittock/Circus/Lingo/0C9, CDi/82/Hi/250 & Linn keilidhs. The keilidhs do not really suit my room, this was not so obvious until I upgraded to hi/250 from flat/90. They have to be placed either side of a chimney breast and the bass is just too much at times. It can become a bit boomy. I was thinking SBL's, Kef Ref. 3's etc or maybe even going for a stand mount (AE 1's?). This could facilitate a...
Arye_GurPosted: 12 September 2000Last Updated: 13 September 2000
This evening I heard the cd5 with the nait5 - (I may be proud as the first one who heard this combo in Israel) the system sounds great but looks quite awful.I was disappointed because if I want to upgrademy nait3 to the nait5 I can't use my phono...
Arye_GurPosted: 13 September 2000Last Updated: 13 September 2000
Mike Hanson ,My system based on a CDi, nait3 with a faltcap,Ibl's and Linn axis.The flatcap makes a great improvement with theturntable sound.Rico ,I heard the Nait5 with the Cd5 and I think they are GREAT !I'm not sure this is the right way to...
Simon JenkinsPosted: 31 August 2000Last Updated: 13 September 2000
I have read in various places that you can get big sound improvements by pulling the unused boards on a 72. As I currently only use the phono, and soon cd, inputs is this worth doing? What benefits should I expect to hear.Also, would removing the...
Mike HansonPosted: 12 September 2000Last Updated: 13 September 2000
I've got a Cambridge CD6 at work, and it's currently connect to my 32.5 using a Chord Cobra 2 interconnect. However, I would like to convert a spare Naim interconnect to use the CD6's balanced outputs.The CD6 actually has two XLR output jacks, one...
Tony LockhartPosted: 10 September 2000Last Updated: 12 September 2000
Just a hyperthetical question. Last year before leaving Saudi I shared a villa with a friend who had a similar system to mine. We mixed and matched to end up with CDX 102 hi-cap NAPSC 180 and SBLs. This left us with a spare 180. Could we have...
Eric BarryPosted: 12 September 2000Last Updated: 12 September 2000
Do you put them straight up so the pins hit the clips, or lean them over so the pins hit the cards? I just put them straight up and think I got a fuller, smoother sound.--Eric
Simon JenkinsPosted: 07 September 2000Last Updated: 12 September 2000
Guess this one may be for the Naim guys, but here we go.My nice shiny new CD5 has got three DIN sockets on the back. One's the obvious output to the pre-amp, the other two are both covered by a little plastic widgit. One of these is for adding a PSU,...
Jon MoxonPosted: 06 September 2000Last Updated: 11 September 2000
There was a very interesting comment recently from Tony Lonorgon:"I would also say around half of the hi-fi systems I have heard are not giving over 50% of their potential due to set up issues, and I'm talking about the cheap and free stuff here like...
JohnPosted: 25 August 2000Last Updated: 11 September 2000
My 1 year old son pushed in the circular dome on the tweeter on my SBL. I notice a slight imbalance in the sound. I assume this is fixable but hope the tweeter doesn't have to be completely replaced. Has anyone had to deal with a similar problem?? Any...
Ian PPosted: 11 September 2000Last Updated: 11 September 2000
Can anyone advise on the beast coax to use between my NAT02 and (yet to be installed) Galaxy 20. Also, where would be a good place to get it ?Thanks,Ian
Uwe SupperPosted: 11 September 2000Last Updated: 11 September 2000
extra-ordinary serviceHi all,if there were such a thing as the best dealer award, it would have to be given without any doubt to Phil March and Rob from PHONOGRAPHY in Ringwood (Southengland). Those two marvellous blokes came over to France for free...
Steven PheePosted: 06 September 2000Last Updated: 10 September 2000
Have just bought a pair of Intro IIs after much deliberation. Liked the Credo, but felt that it was not as price-worthy as the Intro II and was a little out of my budget. The dealer also had a last pair of 'old' Intros which I decided against. Just to...
EngelbertPosted: 09 September 2000Last Updated: 09 September 2000
As my stack of Naim equipment grows, I sometimes wish that Naim would produce their own stand to house it. Does anyone else share my frustration?Occurred to me that I can't have a "complete" Naim system if I have to use someone else's stand.