Music Room

ken cPosted: 15 January 2001Last Updated: 15 January 2001
i have a number of recordings i want to get rid off. email me and i will give you some details.enjoy...ken
JohnPosted: 20 December 2000Last Updated: 12 January 2001
Any Ella fans out there? I purchased her Ella and Louis CD and very mch like her voice. Are there any recordings that are bluesy? I am not as fond of the ballad and orchestration types of music. ThanksJohn
Mike HansonPosted: 07 January 2001Last Updated: 11 January 2001
I've been listening to Beethoven's "Missa Solemnis" (for probably the 30th time now). I had been forewarned that it's rather difficult to get a handle on. There are many great snippets there, but seemingly no grand purpose arching across the work. And...
Keith MattoxPosted: 20 November 2000Last Updated: 11 January 2001
My ladyfriend's young daughter is quite taken with the classical music that we've exposed her to and we'd like to get her a few items for Christmas that would extend her interest.I'd like to get her a good recording of Schubert's 2nd, as, although it...
Bas VPosted: 29 November 2000Last Updated: 10 January 2001
Hi!For the first time since a while I have started listening to music... Sounds rather stupid, but I was so busy with selling and buying equipment, that I didn't take the time for that anymore. But now I just inserted Tool's Aenima disc and it's so...
Ron The MonPosted: 07 January 2001Last Updated: 08 January 2001
Starting tomorrow, January 8th, the long awaited documentary "Jazz" by Ken Burns will premiere on PBS. Ken Burns is the guy who did the documentaries on the U.S. civil war and "Baseball". The bad news is that it can only be viewed on television in the...
MarkEJPosted: 08 December 2000Last Updated: 08 January 2001
I know astonishingly little about Hendrix, but in the final episode of the "The Sins" on BBC1 recently, a bit of "Voodoo Chile" was used as a plot device. "Uncle Erwin" (Frank Finlay) said "I love this bit" and broke off a deep and meaninglful...
Nigel CavendishPosted: 06 January 2001Last Updated: 06 January 2001
George Telek - Serious Tam: pop music from Papua New Guinea on the RealWorld label. Truly excellent musically and cracking production;Joan Osborne - Righteous Love. A worthy follow up to Relish;Natalie Merchant - Live in Concert: a well recorded live...
Todd APosted: 04 January 2001Last Updated: 06 January 2001
I decided to wait until after the bountiful holidays to compile my list of favorites. (I opted to list my favorite discs of the year rather than selecting just one.) I believe that collecting classical is sufficiently different from pop and jazz...
Top CatPosted: 03 January 2001Last Updated: 04 January 2001
Hi folks,I saw RT live in concert in Edinburgh for the second time in my life a week ago. The gig was amazing, as I remembered it had been the first time. I'm especially a big fan of his guitarwork.However, to date I haven't been able to find a decent...
Anna ToothPosted: 04 January 2001Last Updated: 04 January 2001
"Espiritu is majestic. Brazilian pianist Guilherme Vergueiro teams up with seven string guitarist Carlos dos Santos for this timeless album. From the opening track, a 10 minute, glorious rendition of K-Ximbinho's "Ternura" (Tenderness), the union of...
John ChanningPosted: 24 December 2000Last Updated: 04 January 2001
A couple of months ago now I went to an "electronic noise nonsense" (Jawed phrase) night with Jawed at the Underworld in Camden. The main attraction of the night was Sonic Boom aka. Experimental Audio Research. I thought that I would share a few...
John ChanningPosted: 28 December 2000Last Updated: 02 January 2001
Ok, it is time I contributed something here again. Agnelli and Nelson - Hudson StBrilliant album of uplifting house. Maybe a bit cheesy for some but tracks like "Embrace" and "Everyday" put a huge grin on my face everytime I listen to them.Roni Size -...
samo7Posted: 23 December 2000Last Updated: 02 January 2001
I am planning a trip to Montreal early in the New Year and would like to know if there are any stores which sell new or used vinyl. (preferably new)...thanx, Mike
John CPosted: 17 December 2000Last Updated: 31 December 2000
I miss this topic every week. Come back Joel, Tony.Only one but am still catching my breath.Sun Ra Greatest hits. The most recent Evidence release based on the Saturn LPs.This is a total revelation to me. Think Fethcher Henderson in Outer Space! How...
fred simonPosted: 18 September 2000Last Updated: 31 December 2000
The new Oregon release, Oregon In Moscow, is as beautiful and profound an album as I have ever heard, and certainly one of Oregon's best. The group (Ralph Towner - guitar and piano, Paul McCandless - woodwinds, Glen Moore - bass, and Mark Walker -...
fred simonPosted: 08 December 2000Last Updated: 30 December 2000
I'm playing a gig tonight and as I do I'm gonna dedicate it all to the memory of John Lennon, one of the absolute greatest singer/songwriters, one of the greatest artists of all time. We miss you more than ever, John.IN MY LIFEThere are places I...
ken cPosted: 30 December 2000Last Updated: 30 December 2000
my daughter bought me this cd today as a birthday present. i enjoyed the live show when we saw it a few months ago, but i dont think i would have actually sought the music out.well, its turned out to be an ear openning experience. its a very good cd...
Uwe SupperPosted: 20 December 2000Last Updated: 29 December 2000
Hi all,went home for lunch, the naim CD 044 - Fred Simon: Dreamhouse- had arrived, listened to a couple of tracks and found it great. Pity I had to go back to my office, but this laid back piano jazz is just what I need at the moment. Fred, I hope you...
JaybarPosted: 25 December 2000Last Updated: 28 December 2000
What is usually recommended for these speakers? They are firing straight ahead in a slightly hard room.ThanksJay
NaheedPosted: 05 November 2000Last Updated: 18 December 2000
Check out http://www.cd-wow.com for a reasonable selection of CDs for £8.99 inc P&P !!!!!!!!!!!!! Service ain't bad either, managed to get the CDs within 3 days... naheed...
DobbinPosted: 12 December 2000Last Updated: 13 December 2000
Just browsing through the posts and saw in a member's profile a reference to Roy Harper. Thought I'd see how many of you like/dislike the old chap.I first heard Harper played by Alan Freeman in the '70's and my first concert ever was Harper at...
Todd APosted: 30 November 2000Last Updated: 13 December 2000
Please help me decide. Both of these august gentlemen present music at its most emotionally revealing and intense. And the inspired virtuosity they exact from the orchestras they lead can bring one to tears.
JohnPosted: 28 November 2000Last Updated: 13 December 2000
I am having difficulty finding some good jazz CD's, can anyone provide some recommendations? I listen to alot of Keith Jarret, Yellowjackets, Miles Davis (Kind of Blue only), Chick Corea, Oscar Peterson, Diana Krall, Jacky Terranson. I have tried alot...
Mike ColePosted: 21 November 2000Last Updated: 11 December 2000
Just got this a few days ago. It is in the R&B vein but the lyrics and Macy Gray's scratchy vocals kinda take it somewhere else. I may have to take a listen woodface's Jill Scott if it is along the same lines.