Music Room

Bob EdwardsPosted: 18 September 2000Last Updated: 01 October 2000
Are there any other Husker Du fans out there ? I have been a fan of theirs for a long time and sometimes wonder if I am the only one here who can play Flip Your Wig at levels (seemingly) approaching a manic live Husker show.On a related note--does...
Mike HansonPosted: 29 August 2000Last Updated: 29 September 2000
I was at a friend's place last night, and he pulled out a boxed set of Wagner's Ring. It was the EMI version, with Furtwängler conducting. There seemed a few things odd about this:1. It was 16 hours (13 CDs), and I though it was supposed to be...
PPosted: 24 September 2000Last Updated: 27 September 2000
For those of you who like Radiohead and have yet to hear the new one can I suggest that you look over at Amazon.co.uk where you can hear the whole album via Realplayer-I'm listening to it right now.Must be another "grower".Regards P.
MarkusPosted: 08 September 2000Last Updated: 26 September 2000
Just wanted to provide a heads-up to those who may have overlooked the following recent releases or re-releases:1. Quality Control, Instrumental version by the Jurassic 5, a double LP release. Limited quantities. This is an extremely funky release! To...
Gary HPosted: 04 September 2000Last Updated: 25 September 2000
Just a quickie before tea,Live At The Greek.Anyone heard this?Is it worth me buying it?Or will I (as a Led Zep fan) be disapointed?Regards,Gary H
ken cPosted: 05 September 2000Last Updated: 21 September 2000
hi folks,anyone listened to lee konitz with brad mehldau and charlie haden on "alone together"?? fabulous album!! its on the blue note label. i have just rediscovered it after being "hidden" in my collection for, i guess the past 2 years or more ......
Doug GrahamPosted: 19 September 2000Last Updated: 20 September 2000
David Bowie Cd's are now available in 24bit remasters. Jolly good some of them are too. Cos I've not heard them all. LaterDoug
Michael DalePosted: 14 August 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
Just to let people know that Lambchop are playing the Royal Festival Hall in London on the 23rd of September. This is gonna be a really special gig as the band (all 14 of em!) are adding a string section and choir to the line-up. Tickets are fifteen...
RicoPosted: 12 September 2000Last Updated: 18 September 2000
OK, you're probably used to me posting when I've been to a good or great gig... I generally go to more than I post here, but don't bother posting them all.Last night saw us in Werchter Park, near Leuwen ("yeah! won't you take me to.. Stella Town"),...
fred simonPosted: 02 September 2000Last Updated: 14 September 2000
I believe Solo Improvisations for Expanded Piano by Lyle Mays to be nothing short of a ground breaking masterpiece, and each time I listen the plot thickens.What has really delighted me is Lyle's concept of orchestration: there are no overt references...
calum scottPosted: 05 September 2000Last Updated: 12 September 2000
I'm looking for recommendations for software to catalogue my CD and record collection.My collection isn't that vast but includes classical and rock so something which is flexible would be good.As someone pointed out on another post recently it's worth...
Todd APosted: 08 September 2000Last Updated: 08 September 2000
Just wanted to see if that got any attention this weekend. Actually, Furtwängler is one of the great conductors of the century. Obviously.The reason I write this is that I increasingly find myself listening to older recordings of classical music,...
John ChanningPosted: 18 August 2000Last Updated: 03 September 2000
Since the arrival of my CDX a few months ago I have spent a fair bit of time rediscovering some of my older CDs. One that has come under the puck a fair bit recently is Bassomatic's - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Bass. This is a great album...
fred simonPosted: 28 August 2000Last Updated: 01 September 2000
Forgive the shameless self-promotion to follow. I thought I'd add a bit more information about myself and the other musicians on my new album, "Dreamhouse," especially for those who are not familiar with my previous work. This information is taken...
Mike HansonPosted: 23 August 2000Last Updated: 31 August 2000
I don't know why, but I've really enjoyed plumbing the depths of Drum'n'Bass today. Here's what's been played:Everything But the Girl "Walking Wounded" - This is pretty soft-core, but it's the only drum'n'bass that my wife enjoys. The rest of it's a...
Graeme CreePosted: 29 August 2000Last Updated: 29 August 2000
Folks,If you like some chilled sounds to relax to, I commend to you a CD called "For Real" by a Geneva based duo called The Bliss. I just discovered it and it's getting loadsa air time chez moi.Angela Higney has a wonderfully haunting voice (and I'm...
PetePosted: 24 August 2000Last Updated: 24 August 2000
Popping back to see if it threads etc., and it still doesn't, so I think just a short visit.But while I'm here... those of you who claim to like female vocalists, or just generally good stuff, could do a lot worse than check out Me'Shell Ndegeocello's...
RicoPosted: 22 August 2000Last Updated: 22 August 2000
So did anyone else attend/participate at Chelmsford?Some of the most surprising things...Travis took to the stage to the opening from Led Zeppelin's 'Your Time Is Gonna Come'. And then played a really great, entertaining set. If more bands were so...
RicoPosted: 16 August 2000Last Updated: 22 August 2000
anyone heard this? What's the deal, should we add it to the collection amongst it's sister albums 'Who can you trust' and 'Big Calm' ?Large expanded answers on used pizza cartons (let's be green here!); short answers on the usual postcard. Please.Rico...
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 20 August 2000Last Updated: 21 August 2000
I guess we must all have the occasional 'Off Day' where one isn't sure whether your lack of receptiveness to music is personal or the fault of the Hi-Fi. Whilst these days are rare I wonder what records other Naim users reach for in an attempt to find...
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 17 August 2000Last Updated: 19 August 2000
I mentioned in another thread I'd managed to find all of the XTC 'Apple Venus' albums on vinyl, and 'Volume 1' and 'Homespun' arrived yesterday.I won't rave about albums that have already been appraised extensively, but 'Homespun' is well worth a look...
Willem van GemertPosted: 17 August 2000Last Updated: 18 August 2000
Yesterday I heard a very interesting piece of music on the radio. It turned out to be Randy Weston playing with an African artist, taken from his latest album. I did a quick search on the net and it's probably "Spirits the Power of Music" (Verve)....
Nigel CavendishPosted: 11 August 2000Last Updated: 11 August 2000
Afro Celt Sound System: Volume 2 Release - An album that suceeds in melding Irish and African rhythms where so many other purported integrations do not work at all. Having said that the Irish influence is the more prominent and the African style is...
HammerheadPosted: 03 August 2000Last Updated: 11 August 2000
This popped into my e-mail this morning - anyone else got anymore food/music rundowns?THE BEST INDIAN RESTAURANT ALBUM IN THE WORLD...EVER!At number:35. Poppadum Preach - Madonna34. Korma Chameleon - Culture Club33. Bhaji Trousers - Madness32. King...
RicoPosted: 03 August 2000Last Updated: 10 August 2000
Anyone heard this? Is it any good? Or is it just totally commercial bol**x?Rico - musichead