Streaming Audio

james nPosted: 13 September 2008Last Updated: 14 September 2008
I finally got round to converting some of the Linn downloads i had downloaded when i was playing with the Squeezeboxes. iTunes doesn't work out of the box with FLAC files so i used a neat little app called Xact to convert from FLAC to AIFF. I then...
keith waringPosted: 31 August 2008Last Updated: 14 September 2008
where does the hdx rank in the cd rankings in the naim stand alone cd player rankings .if someone has replaced there cdx2 with the hdx i would be interested to know if improves or not .
james nPosted: 07 September 2008Last Updated: 13 September 2008
Well after 6 years of various Mac Ownership (Powerbook, Powermac, parents Mac Mini, Ipods etc) An Apple product has finally let me down. My 3 week old Mini has been having issues after a software update (think its hardware related as it won't even...
joc3721Posted: 11 September 2008Last Updated: 13 September 2008
The main alternatives in this category seem to be the Sooloos and Qsonix units. Both of these have superior user interfaces and greater internal storage capacity than the HDX. And, with Qsonix, the music giants store. Has anyone compared the HDX to...
Peter GearPosted: 09 September 2008Last Updated: 12 September 2008
I had a demo of the HDX through a SN this morning via ripped CD's that my wife and I took along. I was a little disappointed that the HDX was connected for audio only and not over a local network to the desk top client interface or to the internet. I...
JamHPosted: 05 September 2008Last Updated: 10 September 2008
A friend asked me to try to recover a CD of his which has various scratches [I think his child damaged it]. I tried to extract it as follows [on a dual boot system with windows-XP abd RedHat-linux]. Hardware is EMPREX DVD rewriter [I bought it for the software] and PLEXTOR PX-716A.... Results .. XP with EAC [Exact Audio Copy] on XP EMPREX reported errors and tended to jam at the end of a track. Stopping the extraction and starting again from the problem track seemed to work. Plextor could...
pcstocktonPosted: 24 July 2008Last Updated: 09 September 2008
Some of you might recall some posts a few months back regarding using a Beresford as the sole source in Naim kit.Since no other sources are used, and the Beresford does not correctly earth the kit, I was experiencing a high pitched "noise" when the...
wizard67Posted: 07 September 2008Last Updated: 08 September 2008
Hi I'm looking into buying a high capacity (at least 500gb) hard drive to store my music on. Can anyone recommend a reliable external or network hard drive. Thanks Wayne
thesherrifPosted: 02 September 2008Last Updated: 08 September 2008
To all the guys who tested the Mac / Lavry combo.....did you use a Macbook, or a MacbookPro......... or is there no difference because the audio hardware is the same ?
Guido FawkesPosted: 07 September 2008Last Updated: 08 September 2008
I recently read a post by George saying Radio was his favourite source - please excuse me George if I misread you - what I believe is on the Horizon is In The Cloud Audio (ITCA). We already have the excellent BBC iPlayer and as Internet access gets...
SlabwaxPosted: 06 September 2008Last Updated: 07 September 2008
I'm looking to pick up a 750 gig hard drive and trying to calculate space. According to one site I found 750 gigs = aprox 2176 cds in flac incoding. Would the same hold true for Apple lossless or what ever is apple best incoding is? ThanksDean
ConsciousmessPosted: 04 September 2008Last Updated: 07 September 2008
Hi all,I've posted this question in the distributed audio as I suspected that was the right place. The question I do have, is:If I purchase and download a 24bit 96KHz FLAC album, how do I convert that to a high quality CD version?Is there a specific...
D.LPosted: 03 September 2008Last Updated: 05 September 2008
HiI'm trying to integrate computer audio into my Naim system and recently purchased a Trends Audio UD-10 external sound card/DAC. The set up is:Mac G4 with WAV files via USB to UD-10UD-10 via RCA lead to Nait 3 (NA522 phono stage) to Royd Abbot...
u5227470736789454Posted: 01 September 2008Last Updated: 04 September 2008
Hi Guys,Could you help, I have decided on a Supernait and f/c. This means that having now put the CD5x on hold until the whole issue of streaming, naim dacs etc becomes clearer, I could get a Lavry and run that with my supernait, as I already have a...
JonathanPPosted: 01 September 2008Last Updated: 03 September 2008
Any ideas as to whether there are any technical differences between the standalone HDX and the system-based NS01? I ask as we are having a full Naimnet installation done and the HDX would appear to offer more functionality for much the same money. I...
John MPosted: 01 September 2008Last Updated: 03 September 2008
I have been really excited about the posts of those people finding great listening pleasure through the Mac Mini + DAC combos. I love the pursuit of pleasing my ears and thus far, after 4 years of exploring NAIM, I must say I have been VERY pleased....
jon hPosted: 30 August 2008Last Updated: 02 September 2008
There is an interesting move on the Linn Records site -Discuss...
Jono 13Posted: 29 August 2008Last Updated: 01 September 2008
Anybody tried it?Does sound as good as promised?Jono
nap-sterPosted: 17 August 2008Last Updated: 01 September 2008
Running an Airport Express over a wireless network I find that the stream cuts out whenever I put the microwave on.In short: Do I need a new microwave?
Richard LordPosted: 26 August 2008Last Updated: 01 September 2008
Hi All,After retiring I just wanted a rest from Hi Fi, having been involved with it on a daily basis for almost 15 years. So I sold my tweaky valve amp and electrostatics, etc and just prepared to sit back with my feet up. Gradually the virus made...
gary yeowellPosted: 21 August 2008Last Updated: 29 August 2008
Read an interesting article today, not sure of the mag, might have been Hifi News, but the reviewer made a very bold statement by saying that ripped CD's through the HDX/XPS2 was better than a CDS.... he did not say which CDS, but anyhow that's quite...
iiyamaPosted: 25 August 2008Last Updated: 29 August 2008
Im thinking of going down the Mac/Lavry route, yawn! I would like to store my music on an external hard drive and connect via an ethernet cable to a Macbook.Obviously i would require a silent (or as good as)external hard drive. What would people...
thesherrifPosted: 27 August 2008Last Updated: 28 August 2008
The setups: 1) ( My) Sony Vaio laptop running itunes with all settings set for optimum output, lossless files ( Kate Bush "Aerial"), Wireless to Airport Express, toslink to Beresford latest DAC, analogue (Chord) to Naim Supernait, Teddycap power...
pjlPosted: 21 August 2008Last Updated: 26 August 2008
Firstly, apologies for my lack of knowledge on the subject and for posting some really basic questions. Basically, in many ways, I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Why is the ability to store music on a hard drive and replay it such a...
Stuart MarshallPosted: 23 August 2008Last Updated: 25 August 2008
just seen some adds in the hifi tabloids about this little bit of kit, just wandering if anybody on here has had a listen, could be a good addition to a htpc?stu