Padded Cell

Paper PlanePosted: 15 August 2018Last Updated: 15 August 2018
Was anyone else curious about the one in the big house like I was? Well, the answer is here: http://www.vulture.com/article/sharp-objects-home-stereo-system.html Some serious kit. Wonder what it sounds like? steve
ChrisSUPosted: 07 August 2018Last Updated: 13 August 2018
As a BBC Radio 4 listener, I enjoy the regular weekly perennials such as Just a Minute, the News Quiz, etc. I’m surprised there doesn’t seem to have been a thread on this on the forum so far, despite the occasional reference. So....what are your favourites? Are there any stations other than Radio 4 (and repeats on 4 extra) to explore? To start the ball rolling, my vote would probably go to Cabin Pressure, a R4 sitcom written by John Finnemore, which I just finished re-lestening to, having...
johnGPosted: 12 August 2018Last Updated: 13 August 2018
New research is detailing how blue light, which emits from smartphone and laptop screens, can damage your retinal cells, and possibly lead to macular degeneration, an eye disease that causes vision loss. https://au.pcmag.com/news/58052/using-your-smartphone-in-the-dark-risks-speeding-up-vision-l
joerandPosted: 23 July 2018Last Updated: 11 August 2018
Tired of mitigating my seasonal pollen allergies with OTC meds, I'm seeking recommendations on nasal irrigation as an alternative solution. I'm about to buy a Health Solutions SinuPulse Elite Advanced irrigator ($80) and give it a try. Plenty of positive on-line ratings, but I'd like to hear here from audiophiles. Enter into that equation a long-term holistic approach to managing nasal congestion. My right Eustachian tube is particularly problematic and can cause annoying distortion in my...
Mike1951Posted: 06 August 2018Last Updated: 11 August 2018
Personally, I think that anyone who wants to walk around looking like a bottle of Guiness is perfectly entitled to do so. What next? Complaining about Halloween costumes? Presumably he now faces ejection as the Conservatives root out Islamophobia within the party...
Don AtkinsonPosted: 29 July 2018Last Updated: 11 August 2018
We're going back to Canada again and during September will have time to spend about a week or ten days in NW USA. Mrs D would like to drive the Oregon Coast. Trip Adviser and one or two other web sites list their "10 Top Sights to Visit" etc but I wondered what Forum members would advise ? We will probably include Crater Lake before working our way back through Idaho, Wyoming and Montana, then Calgary and Lake O'Hara where we have a site booked for three nights before getting back home in...
Mike-BPosted: 07 August 2018Last Updated: 10 August 2018
I've been diagnosed with PVD (Posterior Vitreous Detachment). And no !!! wrong !!! not that posterior. Its an eye condition in which the back/rear (posterior) of the hyaloid membrane separates from the rear of the eye & the retina (or so it says in my little booklet). There's nothing to worry about once its been confirmed the retina is not affected, it can't be cured & it comes with age. My first hint of a problem was dark spot (floaters) & then white flashing spots, it was quite...
JonnersPosted: 08 August 2018Last Updated: 09 August 2018
I'm a newbie to this Forum so apologies if this has been done to death already but "HS2 - discuss" White elephant or just what we've all been waiting for?
PederPosted: 17 July 2018Last Updated: 31 July 2018
If this heat continues,I have to install air conditioning,....even though I live in northern Sweden. I have 33 degrees warm indoors,although all windows are open. It's really sweaty. /Peder ????
Tabby catPosted: 02 July 2018Last Updated: 31 July 2018
Who is everyone routing for on this years tour ? Just got the news this morning that Chris Froome will be riding it as the UCI are dropping his doping enquiry. I would love to see Chris Froome win it again and Peter Sagan win the Green Jersey
Mike-BPosted: 21 July 2018Last Updated: 27 July 2018
Shock Horror The news this morning says "Customers who get smart meters installed are expected to save just £11 a year off their energy bills, a group of MPs has found. It was originally thought that the new meters would save consumers at least £26" ..... err ..... durr ..... what am I missing ??? why would a smart meter save any money for the consumer? It's just a dumb meter, it isn't anything close to smart other than able to communicate how much the consumer has used back to the supplier.
Mike-BPosted: 11 July 2018Last Updated: 26 July 2018
Interesting discussions at the NATO meeting today. He who has no name scolded everyone saying they do not meet the NATO agreed 2% of GDP spend on defence & should match the USA with its 4% of GDP. USA spends 3.5% (official NATO figures), UK spend is 2.1% & are in a group of only 5 nations meeting the 2% target compared to 23 nations below 2%. So in all fairness USA has every right to be concerned with so many other members not meeting the agreed 2% target. My immediate thought...
DungassinPosted: 17 July 2018Last Updated: 23 July 2018
For some reason that link on the forum no longer seems to be working. I always finish up with the first post in a thread. Last post still works though.
GraemeHPosted: 19 July 2018Last Updated: 22 July 2018
Going an hour South of Nantes soon - Any tips..things to do, places to eat...that sort of thing? Thanks
Kevin RichardsonPosted: 16 July 2018Last Updated: 20 July 2018
Anybody familiar with the tv show "Doomsday Preppers"? I watched a few episodes and used to think the "preppers" were sad people pissing away their lives. Today I think preparing for a disaster is important for survival. Step 1 - Liquidate all USD securities Step 2 - Sell your Bitcoins Step 3 - Max out all available lines of credit to get cash and goods. [Get a home equity loan.] Step 4 - Formulate a plan to get your family out of USA and to live indefinitely in a friendly country. Step 5 -...
DungassinPosted: 17 July 2018Last Updated: 20 July 2018
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrgh!!!! I finally persuaded SWMBO to go through the last 12 months worth of photos and decide which she wanted printing. There were about 1400, even after I had already deleted the seriously badly framed or out of focus. She's decided to she wants to actually print 750 of them! Drives me mad. The only one who ever seems to look at the prints is me, and I would probably at most have selected 50 from the whole lot. Don't really mind (well, I do a little bit) mind the expense, but...
thebigfredcPosted: 19 February 2018Last Updated: 18 July 2018
A lot of stuff in the papers about the current Leader of the Opposition hanging around with top Eastern Bloc spys in the eighties (sounds like a good title for a Fall song) although I notice they don't go so far as to actually call him a spy. I remember the Labour Party ending their conferences with a rousing rendition of the 'Red Flag' during the Foot and early Kinnock eras. He seems to have been more enthused with the Soviet Union than the European Union.
Bob the BuilderPosted: 20 May 2018Last Updated: 17 July 2018
As ever I'm very much looking forward to the World Cup as a football fan but again am struggling to find much enthusiasm for the England team. I can remember in the past getting excited about our prospects and being devestated at our losses in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 even up until Euro 2002 in Portugal when Rooney was such an exciting young prospect but since then my interest in the national team has waned and recent performances in South Africa, Brazil and the last Euros in France...
Bob the BuilderPosted: 03 July 2018Last Updated: 17 July 2018
It's a shame for his fans because I would be really upset and let down if a hero of mine started to say the things Morrissey is claimed to have said recently. Always controversial has he over stepped the mark this time with his support of far right protestor Tommy Robinson and also his support of the For Britain political party. "I have been following a new party called For Britain which is led by Anne Marie Waters," said the controversial musician. "It is the first time in my life that I...
Jonathan GorsePosted: 16 July 2018Last Updated: 17 July 2018
As a lifelong Beatles fan I decided I'd better get on and see Paul McCartney at his recently announced tour in December this year. I set aside this morning - tickets were to go on sale at 10am. I was poised over my laptop before 10am on both the official ticket sales websites AXS and Ticketmaster. I clicked and clicked repeatedly at 10am to buy tickets and each website continuously told me no tickets were available (and this despite merely trying to get 3 tickets in any block at the O2 at...
Bob the BuilderPosted: 14 July 2018Last Updated: 17 July 2018
I went for Tapas last night here on Calpe and ate the best food I’ve had a while. Black Pudding & Chickpeas Stuffed Sardine Fillet and the very best Patatas Aioli I’ve had for a very long time if ever.
notnaim manPosted: 07 July 2018Last Updated: 17 July 2018
...you remember the schooldays maths questions about digging trenches? Not in any way to denigrate my local authority for attacking the pothole problem, but I had to watch workmen on a narrow road last week - The driver sat in the lorry on his mobile The two men with the stop/go boards The man with the clipboard The man with the wheelbarrow The man on the back of the lorry shovelling the asphalt The man with the vibrating plate The man with the watering can The man with the can of tar...
joerandPosted: 09 June 2018Last Updated: 17 July 2018
???
Wugged WoyPosted: 02 July 2018Last Updated: 16 July 2018
Is it just my machine or have I only just noticed that the dates of posts are being displayed in the American style MONTH/DAY/YEAR ? I wonder what is the reason. Most annoying considering that Naim is proud to be a British ( with a French lover) company !! It should be DAY/MONTH/YEAR, chaps ! Get a grip !! And God Save The Queen !
sjbabbeyPosted: 13 July 2018Last Updated: 15 July 2018
The BBC are reporting that Chelsea have sacked manager Antonio Conte after two years in charge. The 48-year-old Italian, who returned to pre-season training this week, had one year remaining on his contract.