Hi-Fi Corner

PopeyePosted: 24 December 2018Last Updated: 26 December 2018
When people ask questions Regarding upgrades, I have noticed a common response is what elements are you lacking and what you want to enhance. Are certain components then know to give specific enhancements to certain areas one feels they are lacking in. I.e a better source brings XYZ to the party and a better Preamp will bring better something else. Is it possible to elaborate on this?
robin-hobartPosted: 22 December 2018Last Updated: 25 December 2018
Recently I purchased a s/hand Uniti 2. It is a 2016 model, in unmarked, top condition, works perfectly. Yet when I tilt it slightly (eg to move / relocate), there is a noticeable 'clunk' from the inside. This occurs even with the CD unit secured by its transit screw. It feels like something pretty solid inside is sliding about by a small amount - maybe a mm or 2? It doesn't feel like a circuit board or such and the only thing I can think of is the PS transformer moving slightly. Hard to...
OakrackPosted: 24 December 2018Last Updated: 25 December 2018
just a thought, has anybody tried graham slee spacia . I'm using it with sn2 .sounds awesome .
Typhoon_ClassPosted: 24 December 2018Last Updated: 25 December 2018
I'm considering getting a Nac 272 and initially using my CB Nap140 as a power amp. As the 272 is self powered how do I prevent the 140 from sending 24v down the SNAIC? I would also like to add a turntable Rega Planar 3 with a Stageline - is it possible for Naim/ First Class or Witchhat to add a 24v supply to the Din Socket? Thanks
SeamanPosted: 23 December 2018Last Updated: 24 December 2018
Merry Christmas, naimers and others ! So I decided to get myself a little christmasgift for myself. After spotting a nice priced demoex xp5xs and talking to the dealer I decided to just go for it! Without any homedemo (the dealer is to far away)but if im not happy I can return the unit within 14 days. I hope to get more/better in the lower end and some bigger soundstage and clarity. It should work very well with the current naitxs2 and nd5xs , but we will see! Are there anyone in the forum...
HardyLFCPosted: 24 December 2018Last Updated: 24 December 2018
I have an Exposure 2010 amp and Audiovector SR3 Signature speakers. I want to upgrade my amp to a Naim Uniti. Quick question: Will the Atom be able to drive my SR3 or should I consider Nova instead? My living room is approx 30 sq meters. I dont spend that much time listening to loud music, but it happens. Everything from Rammstein (when my wife's out), Pink Floyd, rock, blues but also more "quiet" music. Any advice will be welcomed Merry Christmas from Copenhagen
ProterraPosted: 23 December 2018Last Updated: 23 December 2018
I have a Uniti Star , does anybody know if I can use Wireless headphones with it please. Instead of cable connected ones
M2bfxPosted: 22 December 2018Last Updated: 23 December 2018
Ok so after listening to your comments, I have just ordered my NEW Naim Supernait 2 at an amazing price. So when It arrives, I will need some more advice on whats the next step in the way of adding a streamer to this in the future. Thanks for helping
Shropshire HillsPosted: 20 December 2018Last Updated: 23 December 2018
I have been using a DragonFly Dac with both my iPhone 7 and my iPad, linked to Bose Quiet Comfort and Sennheiser Momentum 2s when travelling and the sound has been good until recently. However, now when I try to listen there is no sound and I get this message: “This accessory is not supported by this iPhone” I have updated the DragonFly firmware and also asked Audioquest for advice and am awaiting their reply. However, I suspect the problem lies with one of the recent Apple software updates.
Innocent BystanderPosted: 25 June 2017Last Updated: 23 December 2018
I currently have a project on the go (though it has been dormant for a few years) trying to build speakers better than my existing PMCs (EB1i). It is rather a long term thing due to availability of time and the complexity of build (and rebuild) with inherent trial and error. However, a part of the design was to mount the mid and treble units in satellites that would sit atop the bass cabinets, maximising flexibility, and that I did early on. The midrange drivers are of particular interest...
Bob the BuilderPosted: 22 December 2018Last Updated: 22 December 2018
I thought that this fantastic little box of tricks deserved an updated review. I f anyone is interested over the next couple of weeks I will be using the Qute as a streaming transport via digital out connected to a separate dac, as a streaming source using it's own onboard dac connected via pre out to a Nac 82/SC pre amp, as a streaming preamp connected via pre out to a power amp and finall as a standalone player connected to my speakers. First off I connected it via a QED performance BNC...
oferrPosted: 20 December 2018Last Updated: 22 December 2018
Hi everybody, I have an opportunity to switch my 282 + 2 hcdr's for a used 252 + sc (both 7 ys old). Your kind insights will be very much appreciated.
nbpfPosted: 21 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
A few nDAC users have found that .WAV files replayed from a USB stick connected to the nDAC's front USB port still sound a little bit better than the same files streamed through an electrical BNC-BNC connection. What are your findings? Have you found a S/PDIF feed for the Naim DAC that meets or perhaps even exceeds the sound quality of replay from USB sticks?
M2bfxPosted: 20 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
why does this amp have a balance control
PopeyePosted: 12 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Guys I don’t get it. I can’t really comment as I haven’t heard many of the combinations but I know some of you seem to be fans of the 272/555/300 combination. I was using the search facility and so much is said about how great a balanced system performs. You can’t tell me this is a balanced system! There are loads of old threads about people asking about adding a 555 to an NDX or using a 300 with a NDX source being told that the NDX isn’t good enough and the system is unbalanced. Yet...
thomas schillerPosted: 17 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
I plan to install a photo voltaic system on the roof of my house to produce electricity for powering the whole electric needs (dishwasher, lights, induction cooker...) and the also the hifi system. Has someone experience how such generated power has impact on the hifi sound? Thanks, Thomas
Kevin-WPosted: 16 October 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Guys and gals: I have finally decided to upgrade (but keep) my beloved old Heybrook HB1s (bought at the end of 1984 from the old Sound Org shop at London Bridge). With £1,500 to spend (including stands) a visit to my dealer earlier yielded the suggestion of ATC SCM11s. Nice and compact, decent WAF scores and rave reviews. I've heard them in another context and was pretty wowed by them. I've got a listening room demo booked for next week, with the option of taking them home for a week or two...
John L FPosted: 21 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
I’m thinking of adding a subwoofer to my Nova, Dynaudio Special 40 system and wondered if anybody had experience of using XTZ and BK subwoofers. Reviews favour the XTZ 10.17 but I’d be grateful for any information. I'm not certain a sub would improve my system but would be appreciative of any user opinion.
MatteoPosted: 15 October 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Hi all The failured purchase of the 152/155 combo was always for me a big regret of the past. Recently, I read every thread on this and other forums containing "152" and "155". In the past I owned Nait XS, CD5XS, ND5XS, Headline and Stageline. Casually, I found a 2017 ex-demo combo for 1,500 € and a recent s/h FCXS with 2 SNAIC 5 for 700 € and bought them. So I came back to Naim. Source is a quite recent mid-spec LP12 (Trampolin 2, Kore, Akito 2b, T-Kable, Akurate Radikal, Adikt), with a...
nakaPosted: 19 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Hello to all For the last year or so my CD 5x display is bleeding, showing a kind of wet spot behind the glass ... anyone knows way? It started with a small spot on the right bottom corner and it is now covering a couple of digits, but the numbers are working.
RichierooPosted: 19 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Hi ....... as a matter of interest will the SBL work well in a small room - mine is 8.5ft x 11ft ........ its years since I have heard a pair........they have always intrigued me....
kdl6769Posted: 17 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Any idea how to connect a REL T/5i sub to the Nova? Ideally, one would use the high level input from the REL using the supplied Neutrik cable, but the Nova has only one set of speaker terminals and these are banana only. I suppose I could try to shove bare wire from the Neutrik into the Nova's speaker terminals and then put my loudspeaker bananas on top, but am I risking blowing things up? Alternative is to connect the REL's low level input jack to the pre-outs on the Naim, but the REL has...
TOBPosted: 16 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
I have decided to up grade to a cdx2, iam going to pass on getting a streamer because the natural up grade from my Cd5xs would a cdx2, however the cdx2 has been discontinued, any advice what to look out for when purchasing a used one, it will partner my SN2-Hicap Xps, and Hugo 2. Regards.
ObsydianPosted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Trying to understand potential issues with using a UK 3 PIN adapter to convert either a Schuko or Australian plug. Reason i found a power cable I REALLY like, the manufacturer makes a UK 3 PIN termination, but it is compromised in a few ways, so i was thinking of taking their standard Schuko or AUS termination then using an adapter (not ideal) but then it is also fused. The power cable has 3 wires, for an AUS plug the wiring appears identical to the UK (Live/Neutral/Earth), whereas the...
RichierooPosted: 18 December 2018Last Updated: 21 December 2018
Hi I have left quite a bit of room behind my rack and the rear wall ....... but the new burndies ... to the ND555 are slightly springy and over a day or 2 start touching the rear wall........ there is no twist in the burndy ..... it seems to be the sheer 'new-ness' ... I was tempted to gently warm the burndy with a hair drier to relax it more so it can conform to a sensible shape ........ is it ok to heat the cables up a bit?..........any advice...