Home Theatre

RTodPosted: 26 March 2016Last Updated: 27 March 2016
I am would like to connect my new LG Smart TV up to my Kef LS50's through my SuperUniti but unsure of precise way to do this. I do not want to 'risk' anything near damge to such a wonderful piece of kit as the SU, hence my appeal for detailed help. Obviously, I need optical connectors and was thinking of Chord and from what I see at the back they need to double-end male connectors(the small ones). Any other recommendations forconnects ? ( I do not intend to connect up any other speakers to...
Mr UnderhillPosted: 10 January 2016Last Updated: 21 March 2016
Phantom of the Opera I bought both the movie (DTS 5.1) and the stage (DD 5.1) version on DVD, the later provides half the data of the former. My preference is the stage version as the singing voices and music are clearly better, although the movie has its advantages in the manner of telling the story. However, the soprano voices in the stage DVD are so poor that I just HAD to turn it off. On checking I found that the stage version BluRay includes a DTS-HA Master Audio soundtrack in 5.1, my...
Felty99Posted: 24 December 2015Last Updated: 21 March 2016
I've found a used 250 at a decent price to power the centre channel in a 5.1 AV system in order to match the front L/R channels being driven by another 250. This replaces a NAPV175 which I will still use to power the rear surround channels. I had considered a NAP 145 but these don't come up very often and when they do, they tend to be 10 years old or so and due a service. So I plumped for a 3 year old 250 instead, thinking it would be easier to sell on if I eventually change it and not due a...
Dan.SPosted: 07 March 2016Last Updated: 17 March 2016
Being constantly on the chase after audio nirvana I find myself testing audio equipment quite often and one thing I test is the rig's performance in movies. Any movie or just a particular difficult passage comes to mind that would reveal our systems strengths or weaknesses? Here's a suggestion: Black Hawk Down . (first 5 minutes)
Mr UnderhillPosted: 08 March 2016Last Updated: 13 March 2016
I killed my REL Strata III last week. This was my own fault as I set up the system without properly appreciating a point in the manual, covered here: Oppo Issue Bottom line, set up your speakers based on setting the least efficient at 0db, and use negative trims to set the rest - DO NOT HAVE ANY POSITIVE TRIM VALUES. M
Foot tapperPosted: 14 February 2016Last Updated: 02 March 2016
We popped into our local John Lewis store today and wandered into the TV/Consumer electronics department. It was an education. Now, you have to understand that we have a state of the art TV. After all, Panasonic said it was when we bought it only 10 years ago. It even has these new HDMI input sockets, as well as the proper sized, chunky SCART ones. Our local TV shop told us to expect a decent flat screen plasma TV to last about 10 years before the power supply gives up the ghost (fancy that,...
fernarPosted: 26 February 2016Last Updated: 02 March 2016
I just dont get it... I have just connected my AV Processor to my N272 in pass through mode and for some reason the sound quality of my AV front channel is better when it goes through the N272 vs if the front channel is connected directly to the AV processor... I though when in AV pass through mode the input is directly connected to the output even by passing the volume control... so what gives why do I get better sound quality going via the N272 to Power amp vs direct out from the AV...
MarioPosted: 18 January 2016Last Updated: 27 February 2016
Hello all,    I'm planning to buy a 105D and want to connect the front 2 channels of the player into my 552's unity gain and use the player for volume control to all the channels when playing movies.   My question is, the front RCA's are doubled up on the player, once as a dedicated stereo pair and the other set as part of the 7.1 RCA's out. Can you use the stereo pair for the connection to unity gain and the other 5.1 surround channels into another power amp or must one use...
WagamamaPosted: 26 February 2016Last Updated: 26 February 2016
hi everyone, New to the forums and have a quick question. I've been wanting to buy a mu-so to double as home theatre soundbar and a wireless speaker for music. The issue is, the way my home has been built, I'd have to place the Mu-so to either the left or right of the TV. (My TV is wall mounted with a fireplace directly underneath, and the only place to put the mu-so is on some bookshelves to the right of left of the centre stack.) At first, I didn't think this would be a problem. But then I...
staffyPosted: 20 February 2016Last Updated: 20 February 2016
I have just connected the Quad sub from an old Quad Lites 5.1 system, to a Q Media 4 sound-bar. I have no manual so I'm unsure of what settings to involve. Can anyone help regarding the settings. The Quad remote has the following buttons. Volume Self explanatory Standby = Low pass filters = Off 35- 45- 55- 65- 75- 85 Phase 180 button 0 button Presets 1 2 3 4 Thanks for any assistance.
staffyPosted: 18 November 2015Last Updated: 02 February 2016
Do Naim have a sound bar for home cinema,if not anything on the horizon.
MDSPosted: 14 January 2016Last Updated: 14 January 2016
Very sorry to learn of Alan Rickman's passing today. He was an actor of real talent with a luxurious voice.  Although I suspect he might wish to be remembered for more challenging roles, I will always remember and treasure his role as a terrific villain in Die Hard. And I must confess to enjoying his character in Galaxy Quest, too. Mike 
Mr UnderhillPosted: 08 January 2016Last Updated: 13 January 2016
My habit has been to buy BluRay for blockbusters and otherwise DVD; so over Christmas I bought a number of films including MI Rogue Nation and Fury. There is no doubt the picture quality is a step up, but not one I find essential. However, last week I was watching 'The Phantom of the Opera - Stage', I was distinctly unimpressed by the DVD SQ, so much so I switched to the movie DVD, this was better but had an issue. I therefore bought the Stage version on BluRay, which I will report on...
meaculpaPosted: 10 January 2016Last Updated: 10 January 2016
Not sure about this one! I have just noticed that when you adjust the volume, Midn: appears in front of the volume level rather than Vol ( i am sure that this is what it used to say, but yay can never be sure). I assumed first that teenage boys may have adjusted language input whilst selecting the PS input, but all other labels etc are still in English. Have tried cycling power on and off(both soft switch & back panel) but no change. I can live with this, but if anybody has any ideas,...
tonymPosted: 23 November 2015Last Updated: 05 January 2016
Being cheesed off paying 33 quid a month for my Sky HD sub. & only really watching the free-to-air channels I thought I'd ditch it & go for a Freeview box. Which? gave the latest Panasonic PVRs a glowing review so I bought a "Smart 1 TB HDD Recorder With Freeview Play", the latter offering a catch-up service so you could easily watch anything broadcast within the last couple of weeks. Except...on getting the box & connecting up I discovered this feature "Would become available in...
durganPosted: 04 November 2015Last Updated: 05 January 2016
Hi, there. I am considering buying a android smart TV box player,which can download movies, music and receive emails. If anyone could recommend a good one? Not worried about spending some money, just want one that can work well. Seen this...
GreenAlexPosted: 04 January 2016Last Updated: 04 January 2016
Hi all, Since changed the setup in my bedroom, my nVi has now freed up to help out my damaged AV2 (no more spare parts at Salisbury to have it fixed). The AV2 still does a great job for stereo (CDs) and upscaling stereo sound to DTS:NEO etc. Far better than the nVi which does not support NEO etc on analog inputs. Now I would really like to use the nVi as a digital preamp. So all digital signals should be processed by the nVi and then be fed into the AV2's multi-channel analog inputs via the...
dave marshallPosted: 29 November 2015Last Updated: 16 December 2015
Hi Guys,   I'm looking to run a smart HD tv in the conservatory, where, at the moment there's no aerial socket.   I realise that the simplest solution would be to install an aerial, but would appreciate advice as to alternative solutions....
DungassinPosted: 01 December 2015Last Updated: 09 December 2015
Well, I finally wore SWMBO down, and have arranged an audition of the MRX 710 as potential replacement of my ageing Naim AV2.  I finally bit the bullet and asked her if 'she would mind' (stupid question!), and she said OK.   Alas, can't get...
After_ShockPosted: 04 December 2015Last Updated: 05 December 2015
Good morning, I recently took delivery of a NAC202 and NAP200 to go with some new front channel speakers. The idea being to run the new units for Audio listening directly from my CD player (already set up) and to connect it to my HT amplifier for movie uses using the AV pass through. As its a public holiday where I live I cant contact the dealer today but having read the instruction booklet it appears the only way to use the AV pass through is from connecting to the AV input on the back of...
Mr UnderhillPosted: 29 November 2015Last Updated: 29 November 2015
Dr Who - Series 9 I have really enjoyed Peter Capaldi's second season, which has included some stand out episodes.   Jessica Jones Marvel's latest Netflix which is very downbeat and noir; with David Tennant as the big bad.   The Last Kingdom...
rackkitPosted: 20 November 2015Last Updated: 22 November 2015
Been a while since we last went to the cinema, been happy to buy Blu-Rays and watch them at home though my own set up. i admit i was a bit nervous that the cinema's sound system would make my own sound 'broken' and i'd be left wondering why i'd...
mfanPosted: 10 October 2015Last Updated: 19 November 2015
Dear all,   Not sure if Home Theatre is right place for this - mod please move if not.   Would appreciate any thoughts on how to solve a recent hum problem with my AV setup.   I've recently plugged my PVR into the communal satellite...
OcceanPosted: 15 November 2015Last Updated: 16 November 2015
I'm short - my AV2 is only using my sub if, on the AV2 it's turned off (!!) and a digital input is selected. If multi in is used the sub doesn't work if set to off or on (yes the bluray player is set to on) Any thoughts? And yes...it only works set...
MartinCAPosted: 09 November 2015Last Updated: 15 November 2015
I thought I’d share some notes on trying out a Uniti 2 in place of an AV amp – I’d be interested in any similar experiences. I have being using a Pioneer SC-75 AV amp for Blu-Ray and Sky. I really like the sound. It handles all aspects of surround sound with ease and clarity. No complaints on that score. The trouble is its’ set-up has proved very temperamental. I seem to spend the first 10 minutes of each film fiddling with the connections on the back, and getting Sky to work is more trouble...